Need appetizers/"pickies" for Thanksgiving.

rbuzzotta

<font color=FF00CC>OKW until 2042<br><font color=t
I am having 18 family members this year. My mom usually has it at her house but our family is growing and I have been chosen to host this year!!! YIKES!

My mom has always put out chips, dips, cheese plates etc. while we all chatted before dinner. I would like to do something a little different. Add my own (or my DIS friends) touch!!

Taking any and all suggestions and help. Please include recipes as I am not a Martha Stewart by all means!!!

Thanks in advance.

I usually make little cucumber sandwiches:

Small round rye bread slices
soft cream cheese for spreading (we like onion/chives)
slices cucumbers on top with a garnish if desired

Everyone in the family likes these and they go fast.

This isn't my thing at all. When I want "pickies" before a big meal like T'giving, I look for veggies with some sort of dip. (usually something like Marie's Creamy Italian or Marzetti's Ranch)

Recently, I remember reading a bunch of ideas using tortillas/wrap. I thought they sounded interesting. You might find some ideas for these here:
Finger Foods

Or . . .

Low Fat Blooming Onion
1 tsp oil
1/8 tsp seasoned salt
1/4 oz corn flake crumbs
1 egg white
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1 Vidalia or Spanish onion, 1 lb
Preheat oven to 350º. Trim root end so it stands upright. Slice 1/2” from top of onion & discard papery skin. Cut triangular slices to center of onion, to within 1/2” of bottom to make petals. Place onion in microwave-safe dish. Drizzle with oil. Nuke covered on High for 90 - 120 sec until onion is slightly tender & petals begin to separate. Combine crumbs, pepper & salt & mix well. Beat egg white until foamy. Dip onion into egg white, coating completely. Place in baking dish sprayed with Pam. Sprinkle with dry mixture. Bake at 350º for 10 to 12 min until brown & crisp. Serve immediately with Horseradish Dip.

HORSERADISH DIP
1/2 c nonfat sour cream
2 tsp reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 tsp prepared horseradish
1/2 garlic clove, finely minced
Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, horseradish & garlic & mix well. May be prepared up to 2 days in advance & stored in refrigerator, covered.

What about a cheese ball with crackers? I'd have to look it up, but I used to make a really good one that was coated with dried beef.

One of the things we did last year that all the relatives want again was really simple, and it tastes much better than it sounds. Put a block of softened cream cheese on a nice serving tray or fancy plate, and cover it with hot pepper jelly (my DH likes the jelly to run down the sides and pool). We serve it with crackers. It looks really pretty, and people always rave. I have a reputation with my in-laws for serving awesome food, so I imagine they would die if they knew it was jelly and cream cheese. It also works well with Dr. Pete's Praline Mustard Glaze if you get that where you live.

And I agree with piratesmate. I do wraps often too. They're so easy to put together, and the slices make such a nice presentation with all the different colors inside. I usually have relatives for the whole day, so I plan breakfast, snackages, and then dinner around three or four.

Thanks for the suggestions. My DH loves the sound of the Cucumber Sandwiches!! The roll-ups sound easy, pretty and fun. Both of which I will try this Thanksgiving.

How about stuffed mushrooms? They are always a big hit at my house! I noticed that you are from Wakefield, I grew up in Reading! My husband worked for the Wakefield Post Office for about 8 years before we moved to NH. What a small world! I do have tons of recipes ,I can post some if you would like.
Vickey

Thanks Vickey that would be great. I usually make stuffed mushrooms with crabmeat inside but thought I would try to be a little different this year!!! I am open to your stuffed mushroom recipe though.

Thanks

Well I do love those finger foods. However, here are some things that are simple and delicious.
Cheese Ball-
1 jar Roka Blue cheese
1 jar Old English cheese
1 brick Philly cream cheese
1 block of Cracker Barrel (yellow package) shredded
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/8 tsp garlic powder
Mix together with a mixer. Shape into balls. Roll into favorite toppings. I usually roll one in nuts, one in parsley, and leave one plain in a dish as a spread. Must have Sociable and Triscuit crackers in our house. You can make it more interesting by adding some "fancier" crackers.

Dill Dip-
1 1/2c sour cream
1 1/2c mayo
2 tbsp chopped parsley
2 tbsp grated onion
2 tsp dill weed
2 tsp Beau Monde
Mix together. Dip is good for serving with fresh veggies, pretzels, or the Rye Round bread. To be fancy you can hollow out the Rye Round before serving and add the dill dip in the middle. Be warned, people love that rye bread with dill dip. I usually buy two, and sometimes make a double batch of dill dip. Most of the time I just leave it in the fridge and add to tray as needed. Great appetizer esp for Football watchers.

stuffed mushrooms
24 lg mushrooms 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter
1/4 cup of butter ( 1/2 ) stick
1/4 cup green onions,sliced
1 clove garlic,minced ( I use 1/8 tps. garlic powder sometimes) !
2/3 cup of seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese

Wash and dry mushrooms, remove stems and reserve. Chop enough stems to make 1 cup. Melt butter over med heat in a med saucepan add chopped mushroom stems,green onion and garlic. Cook and stir until tender,stir in bread crumbs and cheese. Spoon mixture into mushroom caps,place on a baking sheet and cook for 8-10 mins at 425

I usually need to double or triple the recipe !

My familie's favorite is scallops wrapped in Bacon.

Just soak your toothpicks in water for a couple of hours before wrapping a piece of partially cooked bacon around a scallop. Put your toothpick through to hold them together and bake on a cookie sheet after company arrives, until scallops are done about 5 min, at 425

They also love shrimp cocktail, I guess we are big seafood eaters here on the Cape!

You guys have better ideas than I have gotten. I asked my brother for help and he offered to bring "Spam with Pineapple." YUCK!!!
(he was joking)

LynnCC, I have done scallops in bacon in the past. However, one Christmas Eve I got so sick from them it ruined my Christmas.......ever since then I vowed never to make them again. My poor DH just loves them but I just can't bring myself to make them again (13 years later!!).

I usually do shrimp cocktail for Christmas Eve along with all fish dishes and non-meat dishes!! Old Italian custom. I have decided to do stuffed mushrooms though.

Thanks again and keep the ideas coming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter