Need camper advice

Gone Disney

Thumper
Hi all

This is a bit OT but I need a little help. We're WDW AP holders and we really value the information on this board so I'm sure you'll all be very helpful for this as well. I hope I'm not over stepping my bounds by asking this question. If so I apologize in advance.

Here's the thing, we are building a house and selling our current house. We may be faced to move from our current house before the new one is built. Since we plan to do some of the finish work at the new place we were considering a camper trailer to stay in if we need to do so.

I'm coming to you here at the boards because many of you own camper trailers and have gotten to know the good and bad and I'd like to take advantage of your experience and expertise.

We do know we want something perhaps 29' or more, with a main sleeping area and a bunk bed area. ( We have a 7yr old and a 15yr old. ) I do realize the challenge here. We are leaning towards a used camper, but a clean one, hopefully with a slider. What are other things we need to consider and check about. hot water heaters? Water tanks? refrigerators? power/gas connections? selling points? Any thing you guys can think of I want to know about before deciding on a trailer to buy.

Thanks in advance for all your insight.

Gone Disney

First of all, I wish you well with this adventure.

I remember a regular poster on the Pop Up Times Web Board lived in his pop up for several months while building a house. I don't think I recomend a pop up for your situation:eek:

It is entirely possible to do what you are thinking about, in fact many people do it on a regular basis. Just think through all the details:

Does the local government (city/county) allow it?

Will you have a sewer/septic connection when you put the trailer on the site?

Will a temporary electric pole be available?

How will you cook? LP Gas?

When you get to the point of purchasing the TT think that through also. Wit it be a one time purchase to be sold after teh house is built, or will you use it afterwards for recreation. If you plan to continue using it, get one you can tow with your current tow vehicle.

While my area is pop up campers, many things work for all RVs.

Check out a couple of my web pages for information:

Purchasing a Used Pop-Up-Camper Information is good for all types of RVs

Towing and Hitch Information

Again, good luck with yor adventure. Hope to see your TT at FW soon.

As Tim5055 said, I wish you well! It IS quite the adventure! Just a few things to add. The slide out does offer a bit more room. I recommend that. Ask about warranties. Is the TT still covered? Can you purchase one? What specifically does it cover? And where would you get it serviced?

You'll probably have to go to the grocer more frequently than you do now.

I've not met anyone who uses the oven for anything more than a frozen pizza. May have to put the crock pot into use. (So, don't pack it with all your other household goods!)

We find it difficult to shower all 4 DD's in the TT. Perhaps a nearby camp ground with a clean bath house? Especially with teenagers!

Just a few mroe items to think on before your great adventure!

Happy building/camping!

Well, all I have to say, is that this sounds really cool to me and I would do it in a heartbeat, but I think my wife and daughter might object.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice.

Tim5055, your site is very helpful. I do appreciate that. Everything you had mentioned we have considered and I don't see any problems there. You're allowed to stay onsite while building. There will be temp power, septic and water onsite before I get there. I think we'll probably just use gas in the tanks. We'll see how that works. I think my truck will tow most anything I would buy. See it here.

house_of_princesses, insurance and warranty's had not crossed my mind. We'll have to consider that. Groceries, well we plan to have an extra fridge in the onsite storage. That should help some. Crock Pot not a problem :). That's easy cooking there :) And the shower ....... well, we'll have to learn to survive cause there is no camp ground near by. Matter a fact nothing is near by out there. As for the oven that'll be ok as long as I can be in there by Thanksgiving. Which will be cutting it close.

ftwildernessguy, don't let me fool you my 15 yr is not exactly over thrilled about this either. Although my 8 yr is ecstatic. DH is questioning the whole idea but on the same hand is ok with it. I think it will be fine. Plus everyone will appreciate the house even more once it's built. Could you imagine going from a 30' x 8' trailer to a 2500sf house. It'll feel huge then.

thanks again all.

This may start a fight I'm not sure but if anyone has a preference on trailers let me know and why.

I'm still looking for one and not being a trailer person YET I have no idea what to look for in one. Except the obvious stuff like does it look nice is it clean, does it have a bathroom or enough beds for everyone, you know the general stuff. What I need to know is the down and dirty stuff like what should I look for in a used TT? What are the areas of concern? Do I need to be concerned with type of water heater or type of fridge? Connection types are they different from one manufacture to the next? Is one better? ect. I know nothing about TT's so those things may sound stupid. That's why I want you wonderful travel people to tell me what to be cautious of while I'm looking for a TT. What are some of your experiences?

Thanks
Gone Disney

GoneDisney, I don't know one iota about all the mechanic stuff. BUT, I will tell you we have 5 females in the family. Find out how well the black water drains and if there are any tricks. We had to use a Bar-B-Cue tongs to extract the toilet paper that built up and would not flush out of the tank.:mad: DH just about lost it on that one, so I had to finish the job. Never again!

this is something I've done. we remodeled our house and lived in our travel trailer for about 4 months. its 35 ft. and has a slide. yes you can cook big meals in the oven, even made a thanksgiving turkey once. make sure you have a place to dump your waste. buy a big propane tank. if possible use your exsisting electric lines, just plug into an outlet on your house(if possible) . if you're deciding on selling the camper afterwards, dont worry about all the extras that come with the camper, such as real wood cabinets, sterio/cd systems, just go basic. we love our camper and enjoy fw twice a year, so we're still not sick of it...just wouldnt want to live in it again, once was deffinetly enough...(i have 3 kids) enjoy your adventure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter