Need help deciding...which park: Universal or Hollywood Studios?

riversend22

Mouseketeer
Hey dis folks! I need some help deciding which park to visit. Here are the deets:

Visiting in two weeks (1/26-1/31) with 3 adults and 1 kid (12 yo). Looking to do a park for one day.
The last time we visited, we went to Islands of Adventure, but they have since added Velocicoaster (I've ridden it, but none of the others have), and they also haven't been on the train or in Diagon Alley, so a lot of new stuff. The kid also is a fan of Harry Potter. But the mummy and Shrek are down which is a bummer.
The crew has not been to Hollywood Studios in years, so almost everything would be new to them (Again, I've been but love this park). Casual Star Wars fans so that would be cool but not a strong draw for us.
We like all types of rides including thrill.

So which park would you do? I'm leaning towards Universal, but the fact that we've done Islands before is holding me back (we would do both sides this time). I loved Hollywood Studios the last time I visited, but I'm not sure if the rest of my group will feel the same. I also know that Disney will be much busier than Universal. I'm having so much trouble deciding so please help! Thanks :)

*Mods - wasn't sure where to post so feel free to move if in the wrong place!

Hi OP: I understand your dilema,, trying to make everyone happy. I don't think it's doable. When we first went to Universal, we picked only one park and that was the Studios over IOA. We are older with no kids with us, so we felt like IOA was more for kids with the Dr. Seuss land and rides.
We loved the Studios side. MIB was a favorite, as was Mummy. It's too bad it is going to be down. Also the Minions and Shrek were funny. I think the Bourne adventure is there too, but not sure. Of course, we visited HP land. We loved everything about it. The ride was fantastic and the setting amazing. We enjoyed Knockturn alley which is a dark treat. We spent 50% of our time at HPland.

That's just our opinion but we like that side much more than IOA. Whatever you decide will be a lot of fun. As far as coasters, my husband rode RRR and loved it.

What tips the scale in Universal's favor, in my opinion, is that you plan on doing both parks. UO wins in sheer volume of things to do and see. The Wizarding World alone more than makes up for the lack of Shrek and The Mummy. HS is fantastic, don't get me wrong, but you'll feel like you did more after a park-to-park day at Universal

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter