Need help from anyone at Aulani now.

dcmmgw

Earning My Ears
My son and daughter-in-law are on their last day of their honeymoon at Aulani and their camera with 8 days of pictures has gone missing at the pool. They don't even care about getting the camera back they just want their pictures :( If you were at the pool today and saw or heard anything. It's an orange Nikon waterproof camera. Thanks so much. They are heart broken. Not a good way to end a magical honeymoon.

I will check at work tonight and see if anything was turned in recently at the pool. If not I will call lost & found tomorrow morning if that helps. I can't imagine losing all those photos! I hope someone turned it in! Any idea of where at the pool it was lost?

Thank you... just sent you a pm. They had no luck in finding it before they had to leave for the airport last night.

I guess this brings up a question, how bad is theft at Aulani? I imagine the rooms are fine but the pool is a huge target since it is easily accessible to the public.

And, lets turn this into a learning thread for the group, what pool security tips to people take to make sure their stuff stays safe??

OP, I am so sorry to read this. I hope that somehow or other the camera finds its way back to your son.

I guess this brings up a question, how bad is theft at Aulani? I imagine the rooms are fine but the pool is a huge target since it is easily accessible to the public.

And, lets turn this into a learning thread for the group, what pool security tips to people take to make sure their stuff stays safe??

Well, we do not take any chances anywhere, and we didn't at Aulani last year either. I have one of these: Aqua Pac for my phone and one for my small camera. They have a neck strap and I actually swim with my iphone and room key. We've been on two, 2-week trips to Hawaii and I just sort of wore my Aqua Pac all the time. It held my phone, my drivers license, credit card and some cash. The days I wanted to take really nice photos, I took my DSLR down to the pool and beach and when I was finished, DH took it back up to the room. I also usually switch memory cards half way thru our trips also so that if our camera is stolen, all of our pictures won't be lost.

It's heartbreaking to know someone's honeymoon pics may be lost or stolen. :( That is very sad. I hope their camera and photos are returned to the happy couple!

Well, we do not take any chances anywhere, and we didn't at Aulani last year either. I have one of these: Aqua Pac for my phone and one for my small camera. They have a neck strap and I actually swim with my iphone and room key. We've been on two, 2-week trips to Hawaii and I just sort of wore my Aqua Pac all the time. It held my phone, my drivers license, credit card and some cash. The days I wanted to take really nice photos, I took my DSLR down to the pool and beach and when I was finished, DH took it back up to the room. I also usually switch memory cards half way thru our trips also so that if our camera is stolen, all of our pictures won't be lost.

It's heartbreaking to know someone's honeymoon pics may be lost or stolen. :( That is very sad. I hope their camera and photos are returned to the happy couple!

Thanks for the suggestion on the phone case. Just used your link to buy one!

Thanks for the suggestion on the phone case. Just used your link to buy one!

I think you will LOVE it! What I can suggest is that you read the instructions to the letter and do the test they recommend before using your pac. I found the product to be EXCELLENT. Even though I tested it and the contents remained dry, it took a strong leap of faith to jump into the ocean and pools with my iphone in it!:rotfl: But, I used it for the first time for two weeks in Hawaii in 2010 and then the same one again last summer for two weeks. I think you will like it!

We just returned from Aulani. We had an outstanding vacation!

I am surprised to hear about the theft there. While we were there, I felt confident that if anything happened around the pool area, or anywhere, really, there was always a CM around to see it or assist with an issue. They are everywhere and always ready to help. They are constantly picking up towels, folding and placing them on the chairs...very attentive.

I also know they have cameras set up all over the place. Due to the time difference, I was taking my morning walks at 3 AM. Wherever I went, security was there and I do mean everywhere I went. On about the 3rd day, even though I knew they were watching me, there was less Security following me. So, perhaps this is an avenue you can explore. Did Security see anything?

I hope that the camera was returned. Please let us know the outcome and what Disney did to assist.

Was the camera found yet? Did that person check for you? If not, I can. I'm a cm there and can check for you as we'll :) I seriously hope you find it.. That's so tragic!! :( a lot of CMs are really good at picking up stuff that they find and turning it in to lost and found :)

I am so sorry about the loss of your camera, and mostly, the pictures. This happened to a friend of mine in Mexico last year. She left it on a table at a restaurant during a wedding reception and when she realized later that night, it was gone. She didn't care about the camera either - just the pictures. What I learned from that, is to always bring my cord and hook up and download my pictures to my Mac every few days, so if the camera (and card) go missing, I still have my pictures.

My husband and I just spent a near amazing week at Aulani. The resort is amazing and the staff are wonderful. However, we went down to the beach and pool every single day. We would leave our beach bag on our chair every time. On our last full day there, we had two lounge chairs in the front row of the main family pool. We went for a quick trip down the slide and around the lazy river. When we got back to our chair, my bag was totally gone. We had TONS of people around, and nobody saw what happened. Except a guest from across the pool noticed three teenagers that looked suspicious enter the pool area without wrist bands on. She saw them sit on my chair. The next thing she saw was the commotion of us getting staff members because our stuff was gone. She gave security a description at which point Disney Aulani called Honolulu Police and put the alert out to all Disney security and Ko Olina Bay as well. We gave a police report. In our bag were two iphones, camera (with 100s of photos), sunglasses, some money and other misc. items. A few hours after this incident, my husbands ipad notified him that his phone had been turned on just up the street at the guard shack on Alinui Drive. He ran down and the Ko Olina Bay patrol had stopped the three teenagers and waited for police. In the mean time, our bag was found in another part of the pool area by a staff member. Iphones, camera, sunglasses and money were removed. The sad part about the whole thing is that when police got there and asked the teenagers if they stole the items, they denied it. He said he would have had to have an eye witness to them actually walking away with our things to have the right to search their bags. So he let them go! Disney said they will do a full investigation and review their security tapes. If they are seen on the tapes, the police can then go back and arrest them...but that is only if HPD has their real information. PLEASE never leave your items unattended at Aulani. Although the gates from the beach area say that you must have a room key to swipe and enter the resort, these gates are left unlocked and swung open most of the time. We went down the next day and took video with our ipads of this to prove to Disney Claims that they are not properly securing the resort as their signs indicate. We are working with our rental insurance to hopefully get the money back to replace our stolen items. We are also working with Disney Claims out of CA. They were shocked to hear that the gates are not being locked. This is what led to these local teenagers to walk from the public walkway up into the resort and be allowed to be in the pool area without wrist bands and steal our things. Security told me that nothing like this has ever happened and we are the first. They have had cameras go "missing" but nothing as definite as this before. It has been absolutely devastating to say the least. Protect your things. Even though it is a "disney" resort...bad things can still happen.

My husband and I just spent a near amazing week at Aulani. The resort is amazing and the staff are wonderful. However, we went down to the beach and pool every single day. We would leave our beach bag on our chair every time. On our last full day there, we had two lounge chairs in the front row of the main family pool. We went for a quick trip down the slide and around the lazy river. When we got back to our chair, my bag was totally gone. We had TONS of people around, and nobody saw what happened. Except a guest from across the pool noticed three teenagers that looked suspicious enter the pool area without wrist bands on. She saw them sit on my chair. The next thing she saw was the commotion of us getting staff members because our stuff was gone. She gave security a description at which point Disney Aulani called Honolulu Police and put the alert out to all Disney security and Ko Olina Bay as well. We gave a police report. In our bag were two iphones, camera (with 100s of photos), sunglasses, some money and other misc. items. A few hours after this incident, my husbands ipad notified him that his phone had been turned on just up the street at the guard shack on Alinui Drive. He ran down and the Ko Olina Bay patrol had stopped the three teenagers and waited for police. In the mean time, our bag was found in another part of the pool area by a staff member. Iphones, camera, sunglasses and money were removed. The sad part about the whole thing is that when police got there and asked the teenagers if they stole the items, they denied it. He said he would have had to have an eye witness to them actually walking away with our things to have the right to search their bags. So he let them go! Disney said they will do a full investigation and review their security tapes. If they are seen on the tapes, the police can then go back and arrest them...but that is only if HPD has their real information. PLEASE never leave your items unattended at Aulani. Although the gates from the beach area say that you must have a room key to swipe and enter the resort, these gates are left unlocked and swung open most of the time. We went down the next day and took video with our ipads of this to prove to Disney Claims that they are not properly securing the resort as their signs indicate. We are working with our rental insurance to hopefully get the money back to replace our stolen items. We are also working with Disney Claims out of CA. They were shocked to hear that the gates are not being locked. This is what led to these local teenagers to walk from the public walkway up into the resort and be allowed to be in the pool area without wrist bands and steal our things. Security told me that nothing like this has ever happened and we are the first. They have had cameras go "missing" but nothing as definite as this before. It has been absolutely devastating to say the least. Protect your things. Even though it is a "disney" resort...bad things can still happen.

It makes me sick to read this post. I hope that you get some satisfaction from Disney. I had a bad experience with an iPhone at WDW and Disney was not helpful. Good luck! And thanks for the warning (we will be there in February).

kcormier thank you for the reminder to be vigilant about your things!!

It is too easy to feel secure & relaxed on that pool deck a Aulani, when the reality is thieves can easily access the pool area... not just through the beach access gates, but also just walking in through the main lobby and then down to the pool deck.

Since your incident, I for one will be way more careful when we are there at Christmas for sure!

I am glad to hear that the theives were caught even though they have not been charged yet... at least they now know its not going to be an easy score. Hopefully the tape will have some conclusive evidence!!

Not just at Aulani, but any Disney resort! I never leave my valuables unattended at the pool. Since its usually just dh and me, we take turns swimming or using the hot tub - which is not ideal, but I don't have to worry about my phone, camera or money being stolen.

I had a good friend whose wallet was stolen at the MK one day early into their trip - what a nightmare!

Thieves are everywhere including Disney.

OP - I hope that the camera is returned.

We just returned from Aulani. We had an outstanding vacation!

I am surprised to hear about the theft there. While we were there, I felt confident that if anything happened around the pool area, or anywhere, really, there was always a CM around to see it or assist with an issue. They are everywhere and always ready to help. They are constantly picking up towels, folding and placing them on the chairs...very attentive.

I also know they have cameras set up all over the place. Due to the time difference, I was taking my morning walks at 3 AM. Wherever I went, security was there and I do mean everywhere I went. On about the 3rd day, even though I knew they were watching me, there was less Security following me. So, perhaps this is an avenue you can explore. Did Security see anything?

I hope that the camera was returned. Please let us know the outcome and what Disney did to assist.

Just because there is security around does not mean people wont steal. People leave things on the pool chairs for long periods of time. Lifeguards and security guards cannot be expected to remember who belongs to what items. Anyone could walk up to untended items and act like they are the owner.

OP, I hope the camera is found. Make sure they also check out those websites where people post photos from cameras they find. I don't know the names of any off the top of my head but maybe some other DISers do.

WOW, I've been away from the boards for awhile and didn't realize there was activity on my post....

Unfortunately, no, my son and daughter-in-laws camera was never found. They called security every day for at least a week when they returned home and finally got someone to look at the video tapes. They said that they couldn't see anyone near where they had been sitting.

Hitsubasa, I'm sure the camera is long gone, but yes I would certainly appreciate it if you could look.

kcormier - I too got sick reading your post, because I feel this is exactly what happened to my son's camera. They said there were many local kids just walking into the pool area while they were there. You were lucky in that someone saw something. What does security think happened to all those "missing" cameras? I hope you get more assistance/satisfaction from Disney than they did and hope your items are returned.

Bottom line, while we may feel that we are in a magical place when we are at Disney resorts, the outside world can still invade our dreams and bring us crashing back to reality.

We definitely won't be getting our things back. They are long gone by now. Luckily our insurance is replacing our stolen items, but the hundreds of pictures will never be replaced. We are in conversations with Disney Claims to see if they will pay our insurance deductible. No answer yet. They were shocked to hear about the lack of gate security at the resort as they were under the assumption that the gates are actually being closed and in their locked position...which we took photage with our ipads to prove that they are not. We'll see. This has saddened me very much.

It is hard to read this as it brings back unpleasant memories for me also. OP, I can only send my sympathy your way. So sorry.

We definitely won't be getting our things back. They are long gone by now. Luckily our insurance is replacing our stolen items, but the hundreds of pictures will never be replaced. We are in conversations with Disney Claims to see if they will pay our insurance deductible. No answer yet. They were shocked to hear about the lack of gate security at the resort as they were under the assumption that the gates are actually being closed and in their locked position...which we took photage with our ipads to prove that they are not. We'll see. This has saddened me very much.

So your DH's phone was there and the police refused to give it back to him? The find my phone app proves it is there and I would have gone through the kids pockets and bags myself to get it all back. How very odd of the police! It is reasonable to search a theft suspect, that is a reasonable thing to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter