need help planning - 2012

We used the ANZ Travelcard on our 2009 and 2010 trips to the US. We used it everywhere we went in New York, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Disneyland and WDW. We never one time had a problem and we spent upwards of $15k in total spending money.

We also transferred more money into it via the internet whilst we were in the US and the money was there the next day. Not sure why it took 9 days for your card, very unfortunate.

I'm really shocked to hear you had so much trouble Princessbelle. I know many others on here have used the travelcards with much success DABECs so don't rule it out as an option.

I've had a few people call me "reckless" on this board over the years cause I did Japan and US with 1 VISA debit card. This is from the NAB and has no foreign exchange fees or foreign ATM fees but it is at the vagaries of the prevailing rate at the time the bank processes the paperwork (which can be days or weeks later). And I have never had it rejected - every ATM, bank, hotel, shop everywhere that took VISA took this card.
However, with this current amazing exchange rate I am slowly stocking up the Travelex VISA Debit card. I am going to use this for paying the bills on line and apparently can be used anywhere that accepts VISA. fingers crossed my luck continues (and that none of the bad things others keep telling me will happen ever happen :lmao:)

I'm really shocked to hear you had so much trouble Princessbelle. I know many others on here have used the travelcards with much success DABECs so don't rule it out as an option.

Many people do use the card with success and its certainly not worth discounting it. I just wouldn't use it as a sole form of payment. Have a backup in case its not accepted somewhere and dont put more on it than you know you will definitely spend as it loses its value if you want the money back when you get home. I would have left the money on there for next trip if it had been a few hundred dollars. But being just over $2000USD, I needed it back.
ANZ also say that it will take 4 days for bpay transfers to appear when done overseas. I didn't know this as I hadn't read the paperwork properly. Of course we would have survived with 4 days. 9 days really threw us and we were really disappointed to cancel our last week of ADR's. We had also planned doing Typhoon Lagoon and had to wait for the money to show up to buy the tickets. Because it wasn't there until the last day and we had to do our shopping, it was a mad rush on our last day.

Ellen,

It sounds like you are going to have an amazing trip!!

I took 18 months to plan our first trip to WDW, and was so happy I did. Our trip was amazing and I truly believe all the planning helped. My recommendation is to read the disboards as much as possible to gather all the information you can. I also found www.allears.net helpful. They have lots of dining and resort reviews, pictures, prices, etc. Tourguidemike.com is a great site too, but you have to pay for it. I found it more than worth my money (I know others have differing opinions), and have already subscribed for our next trip in December 2012.

I prefer to Florida in mid October or early November. Avoid the week of American Thanksgiving (4th Thursday of November) because it's one of the busiest weeks of the year.

If you go in October, I hear the Halloween party is great. I went when they were having the Christmas party, and loved it.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I'm not as knowledgeable as some, but I'll be happy to help. I don't get on every day so it may take me a few days to respond.

I've just edited my earlier post because I remembered my parents were trying to use a CBA travelcard in Japan - not an ANZ one..

Happy Mom2 - thanks so much for your post, I am reading as much as possible on here and other sites. I didn't know you could sign up for Tourguide Mike this early for a trip in 2012 - I have also heard mixed reviews but would like to try it for myself.

We are going to NY before going to Florida and we have decided to be there for Thanksgiving (nov 22nd in 2012)so we can see the parade and then do some Black Friday shopping:cool1: So the current plan is NY 20th November till 27th November, WDW 27th November till the December 12th. Still have to work it out because NY is very $$ so not sure how many nights there we can afford..

Where will you be staying and what dates in 2012?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter