need help planning - 2012

Aussiemum - WOW! Fingers crossed for specials for all of us!

For anyone who has been to NASA - any tips? We don't want to hire a car so would really like to take a tour but so far the only tour I have found that goes from WDW leaves from Pop at 6:45am - no idea how we would get to Pop at that time of morning. And if we did end up hiring a car how would we do it? There are going to be 4 adults and 2 kids (and those kids would still be in car seats in Aus, not sure of the US rules. They will be 5 and 6).

When is everyone booking their rooms at WDW? In July/August when they are released? Do you book your whole package (MYW tickets and Dining package) then or do you wait till closer to the time?

And last question :-)rolleyes1) - did anyone consider getting an AP for the discounts? I read somewhere they sometimes offer room discounts for AP holders but not sure how you find out when the offers are on.

It's nice to have people to chat to - besides my parents who are coming with us we haven't told anyone else yet and my hubby is already sick of my constant ramblings about fastpasses, touring plans and ADRs:rotfl:

For anyone who has been to NASA - any tips? We don't want to hire a car so would really like to take a tour but so far the only tour I have found that goes from WDW leaves from Pop at 6:45am - no idea how we would get from POFQ to Pop at that time of morning.

If you really wanted, you can organise a taxi or a hire car from POFQ to POP.

And if we did end up hiring a car how would we do it?

Alamo/National have a car hire place in WDW. If you are thinking about hiring from here, then I would recommend you pick up the car the day before. They will come and pick you up from your resort. But be aware that I've heard stories of people waiting 2 - 3 hours before they were finally back at the resort again with the hire car. Just depends on how busy the office is.

There are going to be 4 adults and 2 kids (and those kids would still be in car seats in Aus, not sure of the US rules. They will be 5 and 6).

You can organise to rent child seats from the car hire places. For this number, you'd want to rent at least a 6 or 7 seater people mover.

When is everyone booking their rooms at WDW? In July/August when they are released? Do you book your whole package (MYW tickets and Dining package) then or do you wait till closer to the time?

You can book room only and then change to the package later if you really want to. But if you know you want the package, why wait? If a deal comes out, you should be able to change.

At this point I am planning on using Dreams Unlimited - anyone else use a travel agent?

I've used Small World Vacations. A lot of people on the Dis use DUL.

And last question :-)rolleyes1) - did anyone consider getting an AP for the discounts? I read somewhere they sometimes offer room discounts for AP holders but not sure how you find out when the offers are on.

I did consider getting the AP; but then Disney offered the 20/30/40 % room discount to the general public and it didn't make financial sense anymore. If you hang out on the DisBoard, you'll find out when the discounts come out. Plus - your TA should be able to tell you.

It's nice to have people to chat to - besides my parents who are coming with us we haven't told anyone else yet and my hubby is already sick of my constant ramblings about fastpasses, touring plans and ADRs:rotfl:

Ramble away. We are all Disney tragics here.

princess::upsidedow

Hi Guys,

I just walked into Harvey World travel this afternoon to find out how much flights to Orlando would cost and I picked some dates in early October (this year) as a guide. I know I'm not going till October next year but I like to know ball park figures so that I can budget for the trip. Told the girl I was flexible with the dates and that we would be gone for almost 3 weeks.

From Sydney to LA (a stop over of 2 nights) and then onto Orlando worked out to be $2700 (inc taxes & return) times that by 3 (DD would be 12 when we leave) and $2025 for the 8 year old..... = $10 125 :eek:

Just hope some really good specials come out before we go...

If you're not going till October next year, there should be plenty of time to keep an eye out for specials. I normally budget about $1500 max per person. I've paid anywhere between $1100 and $1350 in the times I've made it across to Florida. The cheapest I've gotten for into California is $970. You just have to be ready to jump as soon as the special is announced. Do you know which airline you prefer to fly with? If so, you might be better off going directly into their website.

I used Harvey World Travel to book my entire holiday last year and they were wonderful, they booked the Disney part through Creative Holidays (www.creativeholidays.com.au) and I was able to get a good discounted price with them. As far as airfare go I'm sure that towards the end of this year/start of next year you'll be able to find some good prices offered...but do be prepared to jump on hem when they come up.

I'm so excited to have found this thread! We're also planning our first trip to WDW for November next year. We're also planning our wedding as we have decided to 'elope' and have a US honeymoon and a reception when we get back. So it will just be my partner and I (given the costs we don't want to put pressure on family/friends by asking them to attend)

I've been worried that I'm going overboard planning our ADRs and accommodation already, so it's great to know I'm not alone!

We are leaning towards late Nov early Dec 2012 now, and we are looking at taking grandma and grandpa with us as a Christmas treat. Still think a split stay between POQ and WL. My dad has always wanted to go to New Orleans and I like the look and feel of staying somewhere with such a southern theme. A bit different to home, I can't quite come at the Polynesian with a section named Aoteroa, it would be pretty funny traveling half way around the world to stay in New Zealand. We will be looking at the Dining Plan as well.

Late July, Early August is when the 2012 rates become available and costings.

We are thinking of exactly the same resorts! We can't afford to stay deluxe for our full stay, but want to go deluxe for a few nights around the wedding. I'm currently tossing up between WL, AKL and BWI. AKL because I love the idea of the savannah view rooms and BWI because it is closer to where we're having our ceremony, but I just love the look of WL.. It may all come down to cost in the end anyway! Also agree with you about the Poly, I'm actually a Kiwi so yeah I don't want to go all the way to US to feel like I'm in NZ!

For anyone who has been to NASA - any tips? We don't want to hire a car so would really like to take a tour but so far the only tour I have found that goes from WDW leaves from Pop at 6:45am - no idea how we would get from POFQ to Pop at that time of morning. And if we did end up hiring a car how would we do it? There are going to be 4 adults and 2 kids (and those kids would still be in car seats in Aus, not sure of the US rules. They will be 5 and 6).

At this point I am planning on using Dreams Unlimited - anyone else use a travel agent?

We're lucky enough to have APs included in the wedding package, but I don't think you can't book any dining packages with them (we're thinking of doing the standard plan) so may end up not activating the APs yet and buying tickets anyway.

And I hear you about your other half getting sick of all the Disney talk lol

mmm food!

Well on that front I know the following are certainties...

CRT
Akershus
1900 Park Fare dinner (sensing the princess theme!)
Chef Mickeys
Sci Fi diner
50s prime time cafe
Tusker House

We love good food but I am more interested in an experience while in WDW rather than fine cuisine - so characters all the way:thumbsup2

I'm always open to food suggestions - especially counter and snack ideas:)

Would also like opinions on the dining plan..

Thanks again everyone!

Akershus was the worst food we had during our stay. which is very sad because it was the best princess interaction we saw!! :love:

I'd put up with gruel for the princesses:lovestruc

I was reading a WDW book the other day and it mentioned picnic hampers at Animal Kingdom - but the book was from 2009. Do they still have them? It said they were available on the dining plan and I thought it would be lovely idea for something a bit different. I tried googling but couldn't find anything current.

I'd put up with gruel for the princesses:lovestruc

I was reading a WDW book the other day and it mentioned picnic hampers at Animal Kingdom - but the book was from 2009. Do they still have them? It said they were available on the dining plan and I thought it would be lovely idea for something a bit different. I tried googling but couldn't find anything current.

I believe they do still do them but I read a few reviews over in the WDW restaurant section that weren't so good. I'd pop over to that section of the boards and do a search and see if you can find anything in there.

Thanks!

I haven't looked into DVC but will now...

November has been our main choice so far, September's free dining (if they have it) would be a bonus but the humidity would not! I think seeing Christmas at the world wouls be really amazing:santa: What date do the decorations go up?

I can't work out how people decide between POR and POFQ? So not sure which one we would like better...

I love planning:cloud9:

Christmas Decorations for the last 5 years have gone up starting Nov 6th or so! Normally MVMCP doesnt start until the 8th though as I always miss it leaving on the 7th :( NOT THIS YEAR THOUGH! LOL Enjoy your planning its always exhilarating!

I'm so excited to have found this thread! We're also planning our first trip to WDW for November next year. We're also planning our wedding as we have decided to 'elope' and have a US honeymoon and a reception when we get back. So it will just be my partner and I (given the costs we don't want to put pressure on family/friends by asking them to attend)

I've been worried that I'm going overboard planning our ADRs and accommodation already, so it's great to know I'm not alone!

We are thinking of exactly the same resorts! We can't afford to stay deluxe for our full stay, but want to go deluxe for a few nights around the wedding. I'm currently tossing up between WL, AKL and BWI. AKL because I love the idea of the savannah view rooms and BWI because it is closer to where we're having our ceremony, but I just love the look of WL.. It may all come down to cost in the end anyway! Also agree with you about the Poly, I'm actually a Kiwi so yeah I don't want to go all the way to US to feel like I'm in NZ!

We're lucky enough to have APs included in the wedding package, but I don't think you can't book any dining packages with them (we're thinking of doing the standard plan) so may end up not activating the APs yet and buying tickets anyway.

And I hear you about your other half getting sick of all the Disney talk lol

They do give discounts on Rooms and Dining for AP holders. I dont know what exactly it was but I got both. I just purchased our AP bc we go 3 times in a 12 month span but they did give me a break, I tried calling before I bought the AP and all they would tell me is they give discounts not what they were. I will try to figure it out about how much and let you know!

that would be great if you could find out the discounts available for AP holders. I know there is the TiW card but I am more interested in the room discounts!

They do give discounts on Rooms and Dining for AP holders. I dont know what exactly it was but I got both. I just purchased our AP bc we go 3 times in a 12 month span but they did give me a break, I tried calling before I bought the AP and all they would tell me is they give discounts not what they were. I will try to figure it out about how much and let you know!

That would be awesome thank you! :thumbsup2

Thought I would join in as well. We are going August 2012 for our 3rd trip. I'm so excited to be planning again. There will be myself, DH, 2 dd's (who will be 7 and 10 at the time we go), and my Mum. We have 2weeks at WDW, then a 7 night Fantasy cruise and then another 6nights at WDW. The cruise is booked and paid but nothing else organised at this stage. Don't know what we are doing for accommodation at this stage. We have timeshare so hope to use that for some of the time (hoping for Marriott Harbour Lakes) and then we will see about the rest of the time. I'm already planning meals. Cant help myself. We will get AP's. We have both times before and it worked out to be the best value for us. We will also hire a car for the entire time.

Hey Dabecs,

thought i would share our Nov/Dec 2010 trip as it sounds awfully the same as your future one.

We went for 4 weeks, went with parents, have 2 daughters 5 and 7, stayed at Contemporary resort for 2 weeks, Hard Rock for Universal and then a 7 day carribean cruise. Went to Kennedy Space Centre on day tour (picked up at Downtown Disney).

Did all the christmas shows, the whole dining game, the princess dress up etc.

We loved the whole trip and now have another one booked for this christmas.

We used "Allorlandotours" for the space centre, which gave us an airboat ride on way and then day at Space Centre. Picked us up early in morning at Downtown Disney which costs a $20 taxi fare.

Happy planning

Blackduck - it does sound similar! I hope this year you might do a trip report - would love to see how you guys tour WDW! And lucky you going 2 years running:cool1:

PrincessBella - what about the AP made them great value? I am not sure about the TiW card vs a dining package etc

dabecs - The AP's were great value for us for a few reasons. For our first stay we were there 4 weeks and for the second stay it was 3 weeks. It was cheaper each time to get the annual pass than several 10 day passes. We also spent some of each stay off site so it gave us free parking which at $14 per day saved a fortune. We did heaps of shopping while we were there and the 10% off at World of Disney was something we took advantage of. We also got the TIW card for both trips and will do again next trip. We did have Free dining for some of our last trip but the TIW still more than paid for itself. I'm not really a desert eater and the DP included desert. But then I found myself ordering an appetiser each time. TIW gave us the discount off any food we purchased OOP as well as drinks. I wouldn't do the dining plan again (unless it was free dining) as I found it too restrictive and couldn't order what I wanted without paying extra. We plan on doing V&A's this time. TIW will pay for itself in just this meal.

Hi guys...

I know a few of you have mentioned AP's but has any one tried the Premier Passport? It gives you unlimited entry into both DL and WDW... I thought that I would try it when we go in sept/oct 2012 as we are planing on going to both parks (and if all goes to plan.. again in 2013). I would like to stay at the Grand Californian in DL and POFQ but I have no idea on how much the rooms will be discounted with the Premier Passport. I know that you get 20% on merchandise and other discounts.. Does anyone know of anyone that has bought these tickets? As they are sort of new I'm not finding a lot of info on how much the rooms will be discounted..

Hi all
Just a quick note to say that POFQ is a great choice. We stayed there last April and lovedit. Make sure you wander down to the lobby in the evening as there is a great musician most nights. The rooms were nice, the staff were friendly, the grounds were lovely and the bus to downtown Disney was a treat.

Also for those that have not yet discovered it, the unofficial guide to WDW is an awesome read for Disney tragic planners. Pages and pages of information and stats coupled with a very funny sense of humor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter