Need help with CAMERA!

photographymom517

DIS Veteran
I would like to purchase a new "point and shoot" camera with part of my tax return money (the rest goes to paying for local & county taxes...bummer!)

I used to have a Kodak V1073 and now I have a Nikon Coolpix S220. I bought the Nikon because I've always wanted to own a Nikon camera...well it turns out that I miss my Kodak & wish I could buy another, but that model is no longer being made. In addition, my Kodak was dropped ONCE and completely quit working (the lens wouldn't go in or out anymore). I have dropped my Nikon multiple times & it still works fine. I am obsessive about taking care of my electronics (especially because I don't have money to fix or replace them!) but the truth is with kids, things like dropping your camera cannot always be avoided! I try my best to take care of it, but accidents do occur.

Anyway, my question is...which camera do you suggest? I am looking in the "under $150 range" if possible. I would consider going up to around $180 or so but really would prefer to be closer to $150 or even under that. Features that I am looking for are:
* a good zoom
* at least 7-10 MP (I don't need 12 or more)
* camera that takes pics in poor lighting conditions
* camera that takes pics in sunny lighting conditions
* camera that can take close-ups
* timer (most have this feature but I really need it)
* prefer something at the level of my previous cameras...or better!

I would welcome any advice & if you could please state your reasons for suggesting a particular camera, that would be great! Also, if you have pictures that you've taken with the camera you suggest, that would be even better yet!!! :) I definitely would like to see pics you've taken in poor lighting conditions. My Nikon takes pics perfectly if you're outdoors, but indoors the lighting has to be perfectly even or else the photos are a mess!

I am open to any suggestions...a few that I've started researching myself are the Kodak Easyshare Z915, Kodak Easyshare Z712 IS, and Canon Powershot A1100 IS. Any pros or cons of any of these models?

I appreciate any suggestions!

Hi. You should post this at the Photography section of the board. Those guys/gals can provide you much more information.

Anyway, to answer your question. I have no experience on any of the Kodak camera. However, for $150, it would be very hard for any camera in that price range to take good pics in poor lighting conditions. Mostly likely, the pics would be noisey. If you use flash, then you will experience shutter lag.

For a point and shoot camera, IMO, only the $300 and above range camera I've seen can achieve reasonable result under poor lighting condition.

Having said that, Canon PowerShot is a decent and yet powerful camera. I've seen many people use them and have great result. You can't go wrong with that.

Hi. You should post this at the Photography section of the board. Those guys/gals can provide you much more information.

Anyway, to answer your question. I have no experience on any of the Kodak camera. However, for $150, it would be very hard for any camera in that price range to take good pics in poor lighting conditions. Mostly likely, the pics would be noisey. If you use flash, then you will experience shutter lag.

For a point and shoot camera, IMO, only the $300 and above range camera I've seen can achieve reasonable result under poor lighting condition.

Having said that, Canon PowerShot is a decent and yet powerful camera. I've seen many people use them and have great result. You can't go wrong with that.
Thank you for the info! I will post this under the Photography section...thats a good idea! Also, thanks for your advice about the camera.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter