Need help with decision on Disney Club?

MelanieC

<font color=blue>BL II - Blue Team<br><font color=
Hello All,
I am going to WDW from Nov 28-Dec 8 for 10 nights. The rack rate that I currently have booked is $77.00 plus tax. I read about the Disney Club, but when I called Disney, they will not tell you if it available when you are going unless you pay the $39.95, and then wait for your membership number to find out.

That is sort of unfair, if the only reason you want it is for the discounts. But since I have no control of this I was hoping some of you discount veterens could help me decide.

Deb Wills site says that during that time period it should be 20% off. This would save us about $150 wich would pay for it. We are buying Annual Passports and it says up to a $15 discount. How do you get UP to a $15 discount?

I am worried that If I dont take this 20% discount now, I may not be able to find a better rate later over Thanksgiving. I might be able to get AP discount rates on the hotel later, but who knows when it will come out.

Am I right in thinking I should go for this now? Even though Disney makes this seem so much like a shady deal by not giving any details till you pay them money.

Thanks,
Melanie

Well, if you get APs, you may not want to get the DC membership too. You can only get one discount or the other. The good thing about the AP discount is that you can call and ask for that discount and not buy the AP until you check in. With the DC membership, you have to have it first.

I'm a DC member and love it. Not only can you usually get some discount on the room, but there are discounts on tickets, 10% off Disney Store purchases, and lots of other benefits. You get a membership in the Entertainment Club, which can save you money at hotels everywhere. They also send out brochures with short-term offers that are sometimes really great. I just ordered Snow White on DVD and got Tarzan for free. So if you buy Disney stuff from time to time or travel very often, it would be pretty easy to break even.

The only problem with the AP discount, its not out for November yet. I am worried if I wait for the AP discount, that the it will be sold out over Thanksgiving. Then I run the risk of not getting either discount.

I also hate that Disney makes you go through purchasing the DC membership before they will tell you if its available when you go. Does anyone know what the AP passes discount is for Adult and Children? Up to 15$ is so vague?

If you have looked into it and are not convinced, it is probably not for you.

I have been a member of the DC for two years and never used their room discounts. They can be beat by other sources very easily. It is good if you shop at the DS often.

The value of the DC card as an Entertainment card is relative, as Disney controls where you use it in Orlando. Meaning, if you spend $20 in your local book to get the Entertainment card and get a rate at the HRH, for example, for $125/night (50% off), they won't honor your DC card to give you the same rate. Besides, you only need the card at some restaurants and to book rooms, you do not get the discounts with Entertainment coupons. What is most frustrating is, once you get your DC card, go to the "members only" site, follow the Entertainment link and search where you can use it, the number of locations that turn up are skimpy.

If you can't get $10.00 off the DC membership through any offers, your price is $40. The discounts aren't the best you'll find, as even Entertainment book offers you pretty competitive rates on booking vehicles, etc.

People will argue through their teeth back and forth on this one, but all you have to do is compare for yourself and decice if it suits your needs. If you shop at the store often, then go for it. Look up what AAA may offer you, Entertainment, Internet offers, etc. If you wonder if it is the one and only, single source of awesome, unbeatable discounts - best $40 investment ever, don't bet on it.

Wanda

I'm not sure of the price for the regular AP's, but for the PAP's the total regular price is 497.17 for adult and 422.96 for children 3-9. I paid 475.97 per adult pass and 404.94 for the children's pass with the DC discount. I'm thinking it is probably a 15.00 savings on adult and a little less than 15.00 savings on children's passes (since the PAP savings with the DC is listed as up to $20 off; the adult was 20 off and the children's was 18 off).
I hope this wasn't too confusing!!!LOL;)

I figure I save $16 each on 2 APs every year plus good discounts on National Rental Cars--

Add to that any discounts at the Disney Store and it's more than worth it!

Which reminds me... I better go renew my DC right now!:) :)

How do I find out what employers give the Disney Club for $29.95. My husband is in the Airl Natl guard full time as a civilian so he is a Govt worker, and is also part time in the reserves for the Air Natl Guard. He also gets any discounted things that the acive duty Navy gets from the base he works at.

I know we used to get the Magic Kingdom club card free from his base. Anyone know?

If they do have it, does he have to purchase it there?

Thanks, Melanie

Payroll can tell you if they offer a discount for the card. Credit union members normally get the $10 off as well, so that could be your source. They give you a code and with it, you could even apply online at disneyclub.com

Disney does not issue free memberships to anyone anymore. VIPs and members of the press get everything we scramble for a discount for free, supported by us faithful die hard guests, but that is another thread by itself...

You can call The Disney Store to find out how much AP's are with a DC discount (you can even buy them there). Depending on how many you need, the discount on the AP's alone will pay for the DC membership; then any DC discount after that is gravy. However, the benefits of the DC are not what I would consider outstanding.

MelanieC, Disney has a Resort for military members the SOG Resort and you can buy discounted park tickets there too.

Swan/Dolphin offers a Goverment employee Discount.

You need a New Post asking about Military Discounts there are poeple here who can help with that!!

melaniec - I sent you a PM :)

The regular adult AP, not premium, is about $354 with DC discount & tax. The disney store people told me all the prices without asking for my card. I thought the discount was 5%, but they may have changed it.

Call back CRO & ask if they have an AAA discount for your dates. They can usually check that without a card number. I have been told that both of these discounts draw from the same pool of rooms, so that might give you an idea of availability.

Another thing, I believe that you can cancel the DC membership & get a refund if you aren't satisfied.

Get a confirmation on that one, I never heard of it myself.

I know you have like, a month or so trial period for Disney Blast, for example, but that is different.

Originally posted by Humpbacks1962
Get a confirmation on that one, I never heard of it myself.

Here is the Confirmation from the Disney Club Website:

*Money-Back Guarantee: If you decide within 90 days of your enrollment date that The Disney ClubSM is not everything you expected, simply return your membership card and we will refund your entire membership fee. Refund does not include shipping/handling fees paid. The 90-day money-back guarantee applies to new membeships only.

3 months is not bad to be able to assess whether or not you are happy with DC.

Hope that this helps.

Melanie C

I believe all federal employees (or at least DOD) can get the $10 employee discount. I just stopped by our MWR (morale, welfare, and rec) office and picked up the brochure. It doesn't have an expiration date on it, so have your hubby stop by the office where you buy movie passes, etc. on base, and ask about it.

Have fun!

With a DC membership you also get an 800 # to call Disney. If you've ever called during the busier times, you'll welcome a toll free call. I've called with some difficult questions and the calls lasted almost 1/2 hour. The DC membership was paid for in all my phone calls alone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter