Need help with turkey dressing recipe!!!

Boots

<font color=green>Smiling at you!!!</font><br><fon
I am following a dressing recipe a friend gave me. This is for dressing made in a pan. It calls for a large pan of cornbread that is crumbled, turkey or chicken broth (4 cans), 3 eggs, two large onions, and sage. Does this sound right? I can't get ahold of the woman who gave it to me. Also how much sage? HELP!!! Thanks, Ellen.:)

I would add some chopped celery and l to 2 tsp of sage depending on your tastes. You could also add some cooked sausage for a little kick.

That sounds like an awful lot of liquid to me! (Or maybe an awfully LARGE pan of cornbread is called for. ;) )

I found a corn bread recipe in one of my books & it says 4 cups stale cornbread cubes, 1 egg & 1 cup chicken stock. This one only calls for 1/2 c chopped onion & it does include 1 c chopped celery.

That sounds about right to me, as corn bread is moister than "white" bread or the dry cubes I use. I'd use more if you're not putting into the turkey, but if it's going inside I'd be afraid it would come out soggy with 4 cans. You want it to be moist, but not "wet" when you stuff the bird.

BTW - Every recipe I saw called for either 1/2 or 1 tsp sage or poultry seasoning.

Hope that helps!

Deb

I'd saute onions and celery and put in it....also I love pecans in my dressing....

4 cans of stock sounds like a lot to me. Maybe you can add a little at
a time until you get the texure that you like. Adding sausage sounds good.
I use diced chicken gizzards also.

Boy this is making me hungry!:jester:

Some people like dry dressing and some prefer moister dressing. It also depends on if the cornbread is dry or still moist. I personally add a lot of broth and no eggs, but I usually dry my bread out a little and our family likes for our dressing to be soft and moist. MIL likes hers to be very solid and stiff. Just a matter of preference.

This sounds like a big pan of cornbread. Heat broth before adding. You add broth a little at a time, until it is at the consistency you like it.
I would say since it says 3 eggs she was making a triple batch of stuffing. I use the Pepperidge Farm Herb (not cubed) stuffing. We don't do cornbread here. And in fact through this post I have realized I BOUGHT THE WRONG STUFFING!!!!

So one "bag" per egg. Now here is how you make stuffing: this will be one batch. In fact I recommend only making one batch at a time per pan, it turns out better and ends up being easier. Mix it up then add it too your pan you will be cooking it in. I will give you my recipe and you can adapt yours.

1 lb sage pork sausage
1/2 stick of margarine
1 chopped onion
2 chopped celery stalks
1 pkg of stuffing mix
1 tsp of sage
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1 egg
3 cups of broth (I make homemade)

Brown sausage, drain. Add margarine, onion and celery. Fry till onion is translucent. Add mix, sage, poultry seasoning. Slightly beat egg and add. Add heated broth till it is the consistency you like, just until it holds together. Do not get to wet. Taste, add salt or pepper if desired. Stuff lightly into turkey if desired or put in heavy duty foil and bake one hour.

Now it is off to the store to exchange stuffing......THANKS!

I make some kind of cornbread stuffing every year. My guess is that 4 cups is way too much unless you are using a 9x13 pan, but that will make alot of cornbread. Most of them are between 1 and 2 cups of broth. In fact, the one I'm making this year doesn't even use broth.
Here is good recipe with pecans. It uses an 9x9 pan of corn bread:

CORN BREAD STUFFING

Buttermilk Corn Bread

8 bacon slices

5 tablespoons butter
3 cups chopped onions
2 cups chopped celery
1 cup chopped shallots
4 teaspoons dried rubbed sage
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 1/2 cups pecans, toasted, coarsely chopped

2 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
3 large eggs, beaten to blend

Preheat oven to 325°F. Cut corn bread into 3/4-inch cubes. Place corn bread cubes on baking sheet and toast until dry but not hard, about 15 minutes. Cool. Transfer to large bowl.

Butter 8x8x2-inch baking dish. Cook bacon in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, about 6 minutes. Using tongs, transfer bacon to paper towels; reserve 1/4 cup bacon drippings in skillet. Cool bacon and crumble.

Add butter to bacon drippings in skillet and melt over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery and shallots; sauté just until pale golden brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in sage and thyme. Add to corn bread cubes in bowl. Mix in pecans and crumbled bacon. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Stir 1 1/2 cups chicken broth into stuffing. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix in eggs. Reserve 9 cups stuffing for turkey. Moisten remaining stuffing with remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth. Transfer to prepared dish. Bake stuffing in covered dish alongside turkey for 1 hour. Uncover stuffing and bake until top begins to crisp, about 5 minutes longer.

Serves 12.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter