Need idea for keeping 3 year old busy during dinner

NHBelle

DIS Veteran
Unfortuantly my 3 yr old ds is not much of an eater and doesnt really care about the characters and he gets very bored during dinner and ends up making it pretty misersable for the rest of us. Any ideas on how to keep him amused while we eat?

Get him a little notebook and a pencil and let him be the waiter who takes orders? This kept my dd busy for a long time when she was 2.

How about a small coloring book and crayons? A small puzzle, a can of play dough, I am sure any quiet toy that will not disturb other diners would be acceptable. How about a little viewmaster with picture reels. THey dont have to be disney characters, maybe his favorite animal, t.v. show etc. Anything that would fit into your purse or small childs backpack etc. I would get a few things since some kids attention spans and interests are quite short and constantly on the go at that age.

Take out, jk.....

My girls loved the mini magna doodle, or just plain paper and a pencil at that age. My youngest would play forever with a roll of tape. You can bring pipe cleaners or wicki sticks - hummm. There is a thread on the transportation board about keeping kids busy on the airplane, most of which would probably work at a restaurant. Maybe have part of the backpack devoted to stuff he/she can only use when behaving at a restaurant?

Unless you have your heart set on a specific restaurant maybe the counter service restaurants will have to be your choice this time. The mk has a counter service place overlooking small world, Epcot has the land with lots of great places to walk around and great sights for a 3yo. The counter service places at AK and especially world showcase at epcot have some good counter service choices. You may even find you have to split up and eat -dh and I did this for a year or so as my 2nd really wouldn't sit in a restaurant. Don't worry as this will pass! I would get something yummy at the mexico take out while dd's and dh rode the boat ride and he would get some fish & chips at UK while we all danced to British Invasion. Turn your dillemma into fun and have a great vacation.

TJ

Try choosing a place that has a fun theme to it. Places like the Sci-Fi drive in or Prime time Cafe. The coral reef at Epcot is fun as well as rain forest cafe. Try to pick places that tend to be loud and busy anyway and then your child will be less likely to bother others. A good suggestion is if you plan to do any shopping during the day, save any purchases for your child untill right before dinner. That way he will have something new to keep him busy for a little while. If it's a special meal you might even want to plan to buy something just for that meal.

Another plan is to set a few simple resturant rules and then begain to pratice them at home.
For a three year old they might be something like,
1.Stay in your chair
2.Use inside voices
3.Use your fork

Good luck and have a great trip.

Jordan's mom

My two year old loved his little light spinner we bought the second day of our trip- it was Pooh Bear and he kind of sang a little song (not loudly) and the colored lights spin around when you press a button. This was a miracle. I also agree with the crayons & paper- just about every sit down restaurant we ate at in the world had them. Also, he might like some of the rowdier restaurants, like Rain Forest Cafe, Whispering Canyon, 'Ohana. We ate at those restaurant, plus Rose and Crown, Chef Mickey's & Cape May Cafe. He had the hardest time at 'Ohana, but I think he was just tired. He did like sitting by the window and watching the fireworks tho!

My kids were like that.

Crayons didn't interest them until they were nearly four. Playdoh, nope. Bring cheerios and they'd last two minutes. I was afraid little toys would become projectiles thrown at other diners. They really wanted to move, not eat. Some kids just cant' be distracted.

They were better behaved at the restaurants at Disney than at home. I think mostly because they were pretty tired and ready to sit (but had taken short naps to avoid meltdown).

I'd recommend counter service and moderate, casual sit down. We had a great time at Whispering Canyon Cafe because who cares if you don't use your "inside voice" in that place! And while restaurants with a lot going on can work, it can also backfire - some kids find Rainforest Cafe overstimulating - and the thunderstorms quite scary. Also, plan your sit down meals to be fast. Know what you are going to order before you are seated. Let the host know you'd like to order immediately, and order all courses at once. Let them know you have a fidgety child. Then, once you order, take turns walking with the child outside the restaurant until the food comes. That will limit her "sitting time" to half an hour or so. Buffets can work well if the parents outnumber the children, as you can get the food immediately. You weren't looking for a miracle that would enable you to have a long leisurely three course meal with drinks, were you?

This trip the kids are a little older and can be distracted with crayons and have much better table manners. But still the fanciest restaurant we've chosen is an early seating at Narcoosee's.

I had so many problems keeping my son in his chair while we ate dinner (He was a "3 bites, I'm done" kinda kid) - Nothing worked - crayons, little toys, characters.....When he was 2 1/2, we purchased a portable DVD player for a long plane trip to CA (About $200) - and since we had it, we thought we'd drag it along to dinner one night- Let me tell you--- He sits as still as a statue- watching a DVD with his headphones on!! We get to a restaurant, order his dinner - he eats, then gets to watch a movie while Mommy and Daddy finish dinner in peace. Movies are a big thing for him, since he isn't allowed to watch much TV at home. He's 3 1/2 now, and that DVD player is the best thing I've ever bought myself! It makes dining out with him such an enjoyable experience vs. Mommy spending all her time trying to distract him while her dinner gets cold. - Jill

I found something GREAT at a Ross store in their childrens area - I've seen them in the Avon catalog too. They are very small lunch box size plastic boxes that have a small book inside and a ton of removeable stickers. I've found Disney Princesses and SpongeBob so far. The box is about 5"x7"x1" thick. It would slide into a diaper bag or stroller basket pretty easily and they can stick and restick on the book pages, I've had DD make up a story for me with her stickers. It didn't make much sense but she loved it. Plus, no big deal if she sticks them to the table or anything else, they come off pretty easily and don't leave any residue. There are enough pages of stickers they would last several days of playing. I paid about $5 for each box.

Another idea would be to have strips of paper (we cut three from a regular size sheet of paper) we call Caitlyn Currency and we have her decorate them and she can then cash them in on rewards for good behavior.

I popped in on this thread because I have a nearly 2 y/o DS(will be 26 months by the time we take our WDW trip) & have the same problem with him. Trouble is, as soon as he's done eating, he just starts screaming ! He sounds like he's hollow when he screams too! :eek:

We try giving him the crayons at restaurants but he eats them as soon as we're distracted by our 8 y/o DS! I have to say, I do see little GIRLS stay occupied doing something at the table at restaurants but neither of my BOYS can stay entertained long enough! My 8 y/o in the past year has been interested in his Game Boy but there is nothing I have found yet for my little guy. I keep hoping this thread will help me out too!

Good luck to you!

I know what you mean, you guys have me thinking about buying a portable DVD player! We have the tv/vcr combo in our van, but the dvd would be GREAT for dinners!! But, I'm worried that at age 2, she would be a little rough on it! She's a wild one!!! ;)

I have a couple of suggestions for you. I had a very active youngster who didn't care to sit....not even at character meals....for any length of time. Unfortunately, it will cut your dinners short....but at least you may not be embarrassed to death in a restaurant.

We never ordered predinner drinks or appetizers. Ever. I know that's harsh, but we knew that if our son ate while we had a drink or an appetizer, he was ready to roll while we wanted to eat our main course. So we ordered our main course right off the bat and a drink or wine with it. At least this way we were able to enjoy dinner.

If our son was behaving, we ordered dessert.....served with coffee....not after coffee. Again, it shortened our meal.

If things weren't working out, we always took a stroll. DH and I would take turns....outside the restaurant (if feasible), visit the restrooms if necessary and take a look at flowers, birds, the ocean....whatever was available. It didn't make for a great meal, but it was helpful.

We also used to pack new packages of Legos....the ones found in soft packages with a minimum of pieces. It was a treat to get a new "toy" at dinner occasionally. That kept him occupied for a bit. Also, dry erase boards were a great help. We would ask him to draw a man. Tic Tac Toe. His favorite flower. Anything to keep him occupied.

If our son started to scream, we left the restaurant immediately. No negotiation. One of us had the food packed and check paid while the other removed our son from the restaurant. No dessert. No treats. No compromise.

I hope this helps. It's a tough stage to go through with kids. I wished mine would have always behaved....but he didn't. Now, though, he can sit through a 4 course meal with no problem....

DisneyFan551 - The rule with the DVD player is that if my son touches it- it goes away!! I had to enforce that once at the beginning when we first got it (and then we went to Gina2000's plan - he started to scream, so got carried out of the restaurant immediately while I paid the bill...) Like I said- TV is a huge treat for him- so he knows better than to touch it now. We also make a point of not taking it to every sit-down meal we go to ( like Applebees) in an effort to try and get him to learn to sit patiently thru a meal and learn manners...etc. But I must admit, that when we are on vacation and trying to relax - it's great!

Just a suggestion for those not wanting to spring for DVDs---most laptop computers play DVDs as well.W've done this on planes with my 4 yo for years.

Is your child not eating at the table at home with the family. Start now. Have the family sit down each evening and no one can leave the table till they are excused, even if you are just eating McD's. It is unrealistic for a child to be expected to sit patiently during a meal if they are not required to do so at home. WDW is not the time to teach your child patience and manners. Start now. Let them howl at home and learn that this tactic DOES NOT WORK ON YOU! Only excuse a well behaved child from the table. 2 and 3 year olds can understand very quickly what works.

Frankly these parents who pack up their own meal because the kid is misbehaving is only caving into the child. Frankly he acted badly and is rewarded with more time in the park???

Originally posted by prncess674
Frankly these parents who pack up their own meal because the kid is misbehaving is only caving into the child. Frankly he acted badly and is rewarded with more time in the park???

Who says we went back to the park after a rough dinner? We went HOME for the evening.

I did not allow my child to dictate my life and I did not allow him to spoil dinner for surrounding patrons. They deserved consideration. It's bad enough that my meal may have been spoiled but I would never allow him to spoil someone else's. THAT, for me, is the bottom line.

Originally posted by gina2000
Who says we went back to the park after a rough dinner? We went HOME for the evening.

I did not allow my child to dictate my life and I did not allow him to spoil dinner for surrounding patrons. They deserved consideration. It's bad enough that my meal may have been spoiled but I would never allow him to spoil someone else's. THAT, for me, is the bottom line.

you are right that spoiling dinner for other diners is not acceptable.

Hi Gina - I agree 100% with you. My DS is now 28 years old. I had a rule when he was young. When he started to misbehave, it was out of the restaurant we go - even at the local McDonalds. He learned very quickly that when I said enough or we are leaving and going home that I meant it and by the time he was 3 or 4, he could sit through a leisurely meal with no fuss. Of course, I always made sure that I had a pack of crayons and coloring book, picture book, or a paper and pencil with me to keep him occupied if he was finished eating before the adults were. I also made a rule from the time he was little that all meals were eaten at the table and no one got up until everyone was finished. I think that many families no longer have dinner at the table at home with the rule no one leaves until everyone is finished and then when you get the kids out in a restaurant, they don't know why they have to sit there quietly because it is something foreign to them. So my recommendation would also be begin to practice at home so that the child becomes used to the same behavior that you expect the child to have in a Disney restaurant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter