NEED more bed bug info!!!

littlelambie

Mouseketeer
OK, so we are due to leave for DLR on Sunday. Someone posted here the other day about bed bugs at Candy Cane Inn. OMG!!! I am freaking out!!! We are booked into BBPPI, has anyone had any bed bug experience there?? Is there any way to check for them in the room when we get there??? I had never thought of bed bugs before this, and now I am freaking out!!!!

Below is a quote from another post (that you may have already read) that lists some signs to look for. I would go over to www.tripadvisor.com and check out this property reviews. If there's been bedbugs its likely it will show up on that website. I am confused about which property you are talking about, sometimes all these initals and abbreviations get confusing! I wouldn't freak out too much (easier said than done I know). Just check out tripadvisor, and when you check in, check for the signs listed below. I was leary too before our stay at the Grand Californian in June due to a bedbugs thread regarding that property. I finally realized there was nothing I could do about it beforehand but did check carefully once we got there. No bedbugs, no problem. Good luck, I think you'll be fine! Here's the quote from the other thread:

Oh no you can see them! But you do have to hunt, they hide very well during the daylight hours. If you don't actually see them they do leave other signs. Gross but they have a redish poop (from the blood they suck), and you'll find it on the mattress, espeically on the edges and folds of the edges of the mattress. It's like red/brown smears. Also look for the redish color on lamp shades, curtins, and behind the head board. The bugs are small but they will look flat, and if they've been eating they have a plump look to them. They are a brownish/red color as well. And hide in all the places I've mentioned. So if they have bed bugs, you'll either see the bugs themselves in these places, or their "markings".

They are very hard to get rid of. The show I saw the people that had them in their house had exterminators come out several times. They got rid of their furniture, carpet, and clothes! Can you imagine the costs? They even talked about an apartment building where they had to knock down a wall because the bugs were hiding and living in the cracks of the wall! So when they bombed the house it didn't kill them because they were safely in the walls. I guess the poison we used to use, and what killed them off in this country can no longer be used. Due to it being a cancer causing agent. So now that the bugs are back it's been a challenge because what we have now days just doesn't kill them.

You could do a search on the web, there's a few sites that show pictures of what it'll look like on the mattress and pictures of the bugs themselves. Before our DL trip in July I did a bit of reading on it, after I saw that show. I've also talked to people online the worked in hotels and they recommended be checking out the rooms too because of things they've seen. I have friends that think I'm crazy for searching a room though, but hey I don't want to be eaten alive by these things, nor do I want to bring them home! And from what I'm hearing this is a growing problem all over the country. Just one of those things that I think a 5-10 minute check may be well worth it!

Like I said in the other thread I think this is just what travelling will be like in the future. Our parents and grandparents were kinda lucky on the insect front since so many harsh chemicals were used so they didn't have to worry a lot of them. Now that we know how bad they are, they aren't being used and the bugs are coming back stronger than before they were in use. So like the previous poster said before you bring your stuff into any hotel room just pull back the sheets, check for the reddish brown poop in the folds of the mattress and behind the headboard if possible. It should only take a couple minutes and if the mattress and tiny hiding spaces around it are clean you should be fine.

probably another reason that bed bugs are making a come back is that people no longer boil wash their bedding. the detergent manufactures make a great thing about their products cleaning at very low temps and this is what a lot of people do!

That really grosses me out to think of bed bugs but like anything else if we le fear get us we will be home bound forever. I am saying that because I cancelled my trip because of all the terorist stuff and rebooked it 2 weeks late, cost more monry but I thought forget it, I am going no matter what. life is to short. Just think we could have bought a new mattress with bed bugs in it, we could have them for all we know. Go and enjoy your vacation, stop worrying, I try to do tha same thing. :thumbsup2 :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter