Need REAL baked mac and cheese!!!

Ty's_mom

Mouseketeer
I'm craving some macaroni and cheese. You know the kind Grandma made or the kind you get at the diner...

Any one have a GREAT recipe you are willing to share?

Thanks!!! :stir:

I don't have an actual "recipe" for mac & cheese, but it's pretty easy. I make a roux and melt cheese into it, mix it into the cooked macaroni & then bake. I think the key is to use good sharp cheese - at least I like it that way. Sometimes if I'm being cheap I'll buy the cheese ends from the deli & that's good too...the variety of cheeses makes it interesting. I try to get packages that are not mostly American since that doesn't do much for the flavor. My favorites are Swiss (makes it stringy), Provolone & Pepper Jack. If you have a choice, Imported Swiss has more flavor than domestic. Oh - and I usually add some Parmesan when I use a combination of cheeses.

check out foodtv.com and do a search.

I've made one of the Emeril recipes -- very cheesy and good! Yummy baked in the oven.

HTH.

I've tried this before and it was great :thumbsup2 , the only change I made was adding more cheese.

The Lady's Cheesy Mac
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
Ingredients
4 cups cooked elbow macaroni, drained
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Once you have the macaroni cooked and drained, place in a large bowl and while still hot and add the
cheddar. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and add to the macaroni mixture. Pour
macaroni mixture into a casserole dish and bake for 30 to 45 minutes. Top with additional cheese if
desired.

OVER-THE-RAINBOW MACARONI AND CHEESE
By Patti LaBelle
Serves 4-6

1 lb. elbow macaroni
8 TB, plus 1 TB butter
½ cup shredded Muenster cheese
½ cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
½ cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup Velveeta, cut into small cubes
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
¼ tsp seasoned salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly butter a deep 2 ½ quart casserole.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. When boiling, add the macaroni and cook until just tender, about 7 minutes. Do not overcook. Drain well, return to the cooking pot.

In a small saucepan, melt 8 TB of butter. Stir into the macaroni. In a large bowl, mix the first four cheeses. To the macaroni, add the half-and-half, 1 ½ cups of the shredded cheeses, the Velveeta and the eggs. Season with the salt and pepper. Transfer to the casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup of shredded cheese and the remaining dot of TB of butter.

Bake until it’s bubbling around the edges, about 35 minutes. Serve hot.

If you don’t want to use all five cheeses, you can get away with just the Velveeta and sharp Cheddar.

*I haven't personally tried this recipe yet, but it is on my "must try" list! I would probably add some toasted breadcrumbs to the top :)

I have a recipe called Pioneer Macaroni and Cheese and it is very good. It is from an old Betty Crocker cookbook, my grandmother used to make this:

2 c. Elbow Macaroni Pasta, cooked,drained, and hot
Butter ( 2T. in all)
1 1/4 c. Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
Pepper (1/2 tsp. in all)

Layer the above ingredients in alternating layers in a buttered 11" x 7" baking dish.

2 eggs, beaten
3 c. milk

Combine the eggs and milk and pour over the marcaroni. Bake in 350 oven for 40 - 50 min. until golden brown.

ZipaDeeDooDah said:
OVER-THE-RAINBOW MACARONI AND CHEESE
By Patti LaBelle
Serves 4-6

1 lb. elbow macaroni
8 TB, plus 1 TB butter
½ cup shredded Muenster cheese
½ cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
½ cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup Velveeta, cut into small cubes
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
¼ tsp seasoned salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly butter a deep 2 ½ quart casserole.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. When boiling, add the macaroni and cook until just tender, about 7 minutes. Do not overcook. Drain well, return to the cooking pot.

In a small saucepan, melt 8 TB of butter. Stir into the macaroni. In a large bowl, mix the first four cheeses. To the macaroni, add the half-and-half, 1 ½ cups of the shredded cheeses, the Velveeta and the eggs. Season with the salt and pepper. Transfer to the casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup of shredded cheese and the remaining dot of TB of butter.

Bake until it’s bubbling around the edges, about 35 minutes. Serve hot.

If you don’t want to use all five cheeses, you can get away with just the Velveeta and sharp Cheddar.

*I haven't personally tried this recipe yet, but it is on my "must try" list! I would probably add some toasted breadcrumbs to the top :)

This is the same recipe I use and I didn't get it from Patti! It's great. You can cut down on the butter without any ill effect. I also used fat free half and half. Figured with all that cheese I had to cut some fat somewhere. Also, if you add more of the mont. jack it gets really creamy.

Last year (after we went to WDW) I appealed on these boards for a Cracker Barrel Mac & Cheese recipe as my DS(5) loved that the best - I'm at work using the DIScreet skin so I haven't got full search but you should be able to find it on here unless its been removed through old age.

Otherwise cook macaroni al dente and mix with a good cheese sauce (strong cheddar, nutmeg) and pop in oven until browning on top and hot right through. Then stand for a couple of minutes til it stops bubbling.

I've successfully made this and frozen it (i.e. before the oven stage).

Twigs said:
I have a recipe called Pioneer Macaroni and Cheese and it is very good. It is from an old Betty Crocker cookbook, my grandmother used to make this:

2 c. Elbow Macaroni Pasta, cooked,drained, and hot
Butter ( 2T. in all)
1 1/4 c. Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
Pepper (1/2 tsp. in all)

Layer the above ingredients in alternating layers in a buttered 11" x 7" baking dish.

2 eggs, beaten
3 c. milk

Combine the eggs and milk and pour over the marcaroni. Bake in 350 oven for 40 - 50 min. until golden brown.

That's how my family has always made mac and cheese. So simple and oh so good. I toss my noodles, butter and grated cheese together. Top it all off with a little paprika

sha_lyn said:
That's how my family has always made mac and cheese. So simple and oh so good. I toss my noodles, butter and grated cheese together. Top it all off with a little paprika

I forgot to mention the paprika! I sprinkle that on top too before baking.

I second hallie615's recipe for the Lady's Mac and Cheese. It is the best! I use Edam cheese. I saw her make it on her show and she said that she liked to use Edam cheese.

chrissybear said:
I second hallie615's recipe for the Lady's Mac and Cheese. It is the best! I use Edam cheese. I saw her make it on her show and she said that she liked to use Edam cheese.

I made this about 2 weeks ago and it turned out nasty . What did I do wrong ??
I cook from her 3 cookbooks all the time and I must admit this was the 1st thing I was dissapointed in .

Mad4Mickey, I'm sorry that the mac&cheese didn't work for you. I make this for parties and everyone loves it. The 1st time I made it I couldn't figure out what kind of cheese to use, I think I used mild or sharp cheddar. It didn't tast as good as it did in The Lady and Son's in Savannah. Then I saw her make it on her tv show, and she said she liked to use edam. I gave it a try and it was so much better.

This is the recipe my mom uses and it is sooo good!

Michael Jordan's Macaroni and Cheese
rec.food.cooking/CCA (1999)
Serves 8 (The recipe says "8 servings", however it seems more like twelve or more.)

I decided to try a recipe I found in a People magazine of all places. The recipe is for the version served at Michael Jordan's steakhouse restaurant. I've read good reviews about the restaurant so I decided to give it a try. It was a little time intensive but it was worth it. It is fabulous!!! Here is the recipe:

1 lb box elbow macaroni cooked

Blond Roux (White Sauce)
1 stick butter
3/4 cup all-purpose flour

Cheese Sauce
6 cups milk
1/2 cup blond roux (made in advance)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup diced onion (about 1 large onion)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon plus on teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
5 cups aged white cheddar cheese, grated (about 20 oz)
6 oz Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
1 3/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese (about 7 oz) reserve 1 cup for topping
1 cup fresh bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.

Blond roux:
Melt 1 stick of butter in small saucepan. Add 3/4 cup of flour. Blend well. Cook while stirring constantly, about 3-5 minutes, until flour and butter are well blended and start to dry slightly. Reserve for cheese sauce.

Cheese sauce:
In a large saucepan, bring milk to simmer over medium heat. Whisk in 1/2 cup of the roux. Continue to whisk over heat until smooth and sauce begins to thicken, about 10 minutes. Saute diced onion in oil over medium heat until soft. Add onion to roux. Next add Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk to incorporate all ingredients. Begin to add cheddar cheese, gradually, in small amounts. Whisk constantly to help dissolve. Add remaining cheddar, the Gorgonzola and 3/4 cup of Parmesan. Whisk until smooth.

Mix cheese sauce with cooked macaroni. Place in a large buttered oven-proof dish. Top with breadcrumbs and remaining 1 cup of Parmesan cheese.

Bake for about 10 minutes or until hot. To brown, place under the broiler until top is evenly browned; watch carefully.

I had the most creamiest mac and cheese and I made it in a crock pot. Forgot what cookbook it was in. I will have to go looking. My family loved it and it was so easy.

Ty's_mom said:
I'm craving some macaroni and cheese. You know the kind Grandma made or the kind you get at the diner...

Any one have a GREAT recipe you are willing to share?

Thanks!!! :stir:

I use a really basic recipe - we LOVE it - i'd actually like to experiment more but my kids won't have it! I tried Wagon Wheels & fun shapes and it was no good - they like the elbows!

I apologize ahead of time, I don't really measure so all amts are approximations!

1lb of elbow macaroni

3 tsp butter
1 c of milk
1 tsp of dry mustard
Salt & pepper about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp each
a little bit of flour or corn starch*

*this is optional

1 c of ex. sharp cheddar
1/2 c of mild cheddar
1/2 c of american

I melt the butter, add the milk, mustard (reg. yellow works, ok, too if you don't have dried), salt & pepper and the flour - maybe 1 tbsp., cook for a few minutes til all is combined...add the grated or cubed cheeses til melted...we don't like it too thick so I will add a little more milk so the mixture is slowly able to drip off the spoon.

Then mix in the macaroni & bake at 375 for about 25 min...

I think the key is the cheeses - you need to experiment to find your personal preference - i didn't like the way montery jack worked - i can't use too much american but i need a little, and I don't like all extra sharp - the mustard is used to cut the sharpness...we like it creamy but with some flavor!!!

I have read things about adding a pinch of cayenne pepper - freshly ground bread crumbs on top - or broccoli & chicken. Unfortunatly, my family doesn't like their favorites experimented with - although, that's how I found this in the first place!!!

HTH!!
Robin

I just mase Mac and cheese last night, I rarely make it but love it. Here's how I make it and it comes out excellent every time

1 lb elbow macaroni cooked and drained

6 T butter
1/2 C flour
1 quart whole milk

Warm the quart of milk in a seperate saucepan..do not boil. melt the butter on med low and add flour and cook for 2-3 minutes. Slowly add the hot milk to the roux and wisk. Add milk in batches and wisk thoroughly so there are no lumps. Once all incorporated make sure the cream sauce is hot, add salt and pepper to taste.

You will need about 20 oz shreaded cheese. I use a combo of swiss and varying sharpness of cheddars. You can use any type of cheese you like. Add the sheeses to the hot sauce and stir. Keep the heat on med low and stir until the cheese is no longer stringy and completely incorporated into the sauce. You will kn ow when the cheese no longer strings when you lift eh spoon and takes on a "sauce like" testure. Add the cooked mac to the sauce and stir. Bring all ingredients to temp, but do not simmer, just gently stir until the macaroni is warmed thru. Add the mixture to a baking dish.

Topping:

thick sliced tomatoes
fresh bread crumbs

Slice tomatoes (about 2) and place on top and top with fresh bread crumbs made from fresh white bread, crusts removed, toasted in 2 T butter.

Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes

It is so easy and there is more stirring than anything. It comes out creamy and moist...not stringy. The tomatoes and crumbs add a great flavor.

This is the best Mac & Cheese I've ever had. It's creamy and just a tiny bit sweet--and it's a great way to get a hidden vegetable into the kids. :)

Macaroni and 4 Cheeses

Cooking spray
1 pound elbow macaroni
2 (10-ounce) packages frozen pureed winter squash
2 cups 1 percent lowfat milk
4 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 1/3 cups)
2 ounces Monterrey jack cheese, grated (about 2/3 cup)
1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon powdered mustard
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons unseasoned bread crumbs
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
1 teaspoon olive oil

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until tender but firm, about 5 to 8 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
Meanwhile, place the frozen squash and milk into a large saucepan and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally and breaking up the squash with a spoon until it is defrosted. Turn the heat up to medium and cook until the mixture is almost simmering, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the Cheddar, jack cheese, ricotta cheese, salt, mustard and cayenne pepper. Pour cheese mixture over the macaroni and stir to combine. Transfer the macaroni and cheese to the baking dish.

Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and oil in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the top of the macaroni and cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, then broil for 3 minutes so the top is crisp and nicely browned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter