• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need some advice

okck

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone, I have a question about cancelling a trip. My parents are supposed to leave 2 weeks from today. It is a 40 year anniversary celebration. 3 weeks ago my dad came down with a very bad case of shingles. He is on medication but is still in alot of pain. He can travel, but feels so sick they do not know if they can go. My mom is crushed. They have travel insurance as part of thier package. My question is if they do have to cancel, how much notice do they need to give. Can they just change their dates to another time in the year without losing any money? Also what about their park hopper tickets? Other then the plane tickets what penalty if any will there be? Thank you to anyone who can help them with their decision.

I think how much penalty would be due if they had to cancel or move their trip would depend on the restrictions on their reservations for the hotel, room, plane tickets, etc. They may just have to pay a fee to change the date of plane tickets. I'd think the park hopper tickets would not expire. It would seem that any penalty due would be covered in whole or part by their trip insurance but that would depend on the insurance!

I've moved my disney hotel reservations close to the date of our trip because of an unexpected prolonged hospital stay of my MIL and didn't have a penalty - they just moved the deposit to the new date. It would all depend on the restrictions on the reservation though.

Perhaps your parents should consult their insurance advisor or travel agent soon so as to get some idea of what they would have to pay, if anything, to cancel or move the trip.

Selket said:
Perhaps your parents should consult their insurance advisor or travel agent soon so as to get some idea of what they would have to pay, if anything, to cancel or move the trip.
::yes::
They may find that they end up not having much penalty at all and will be able to change easily (or, if they are unlucky, they will find the opposite).
Whatever happens, they need to know the exact situation so they can decide what makes the most sense.

I remember when my FIL had shingles - not good, So, here's some pixie dust for a quick recovery.

Depending on who you made the WDW ressies with, you'll have either 14 days or 5 days to cancel w/o penalties. Walt Disney Travel Company requires 14 day notice. However, if they reschedule the trip, there is no penalty.

Prayers and Pixie Dust that your Dad gets better quick. Shingles are not pleasant!

Oh, and happy anniversary to your parents.

Suzanne

I would call your travel insurance provider and ask what your options are.

My BIL had shingles (and completely recovered). I don't think he could have traveled, at least not until the pain was nearly gone. :guilty:

What does his doctor say about the duration of the shingles? If he's had them for 3 weeks, he should be on his way getting over them. DD11 has them now, and I know it's easier on kids than older adults, but she's on her 3rd week, and the spots are clearing up. Is he still getting new bumps? If no new bumps, then he should be healinmg, and might feel fine in a week or two. The doctor should have an answer!

Thank you everyone for your advice. Yesterday my dad turned a corner and has felt better then he has in weeks. So we hope that cancelling will not be an issue anymore. I passed on to them all your kind words.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter