Need to vent about how expensive WDW is now

I would pay $200 per day per person to skip the lines and not have to be on my phone all day trying to mastermind G+. I often think how much would I be willing to pay for that kind of convenience.
A family of four on a five-day trip that would cost about 4k on top of the thousands already spent. You obviously have deep pockets if you are willing to pay for that. I don't find standing in a 30 to 45 minute to worth that, but to each their own.
For 4k I could take my family on a really nice vacation that didn't involve lines at all.

Understandably Disney should never cater to just one group, but that's a weird generalization of the One-Percenter, whoever they are. Just because your friends/relatives follow a certain travel pattern doesn't mean everyone else in that "echelon" would do the same.
No one said that should cater to one market, but every business has its core customer.

That's pretty much the case with all points\miles programs. It's almost not even worth it to play the game anymore.
But actually Swolphin has been among the more egregiously inflated properties since Bonvoy went dynamic. So much so that I’m now getting noticeably more value using my points at cheaper Marriott brands like Fairfield’s in Nowhere, USA (where I periodically find myself lol) which go for around 20-25k pts or $200+, the exception being if a points room is available at Swolphin and cash stays are $$$$ but that availability never lasts long.

Understandably Disney should never cater to just one group, but that's a weird generalization of the One-Percenter, whoever they are. Just because your friends/relatives follow a certain travel pattern doesn't mean everyone else in that "echelon" would do the same.
Gotta concur. On a percentage basis I don’t see any reason the 1% are any different from us poors in their percentage of Disney Nerds. We are extremely weird around here spending our hobby time thinking about and loving Disney park stuff! There are just, obviously, far fewer 1% Disney Nerds out there to stumble across. But they absolutely exist or Golden Oak would not.

I was talking about your broad assumption of the 1%ers. Just because your wealthy relatives have low interests in Disney does not mean all the wealthy behave the same.
Well duh? I was giving an example to support someone else's statement. I wasn't making any broad assumptions. If you read in context we were discussing the price of Disney. It is becoming something for the top earners which I don't think is their core audience. It doesn't mean there aren't some wealthy Disney lovers.

Well duh? I was giving an example to support someone else's statement. I wasn't making any broad assumptions. If you read in context we were discussing the price of Disney. It is becoming something for the top earners which I don't think is their core audience. It doesn't mean there aren't some wealthy Disney lovers.
Thanks for the clarification 👍

It's definitely tough. If we didn't have military discounts, I'm not sure we'd ever go back. But, after our next trip, we'll probably end up staying at Shades of Green, because there's just not really a reason not to anymore. The value just isn't there with the Disney hotels anymore.
I've already been to Land more than World in the last few years, because its so much more accessible with less planning.
I can't predict anything about how our next WDW trip will go, because even being willing to pay for everything doesn't guarantee the timing.

A family of four on a five-day trip that would cost about 4k on top of the thousands already spent. You obviously have deep pockets if you are willing to pay for that. I don't find standing in a 30 to 45 minute to worth that, but to each their own.
For 4k I could take my family on a really nice vacation that didn't involve lines at all.
We do alright but its relative. Would I pay that kind of cash at AK? Not at all because it wouldn’t be worth it. I would def pay that for MK and stay the entire day, open till close, to get the most out of it. Would I pay $700+ a night to stay at the Poly? No, because I can pay the same amount for a better room in the Maldives.
Dropping that kind of cash on lines is worth it. Lines make me panic, like actual panic. So if there’s a way for me to not experience anxiety and distress, I’ll do it. Disney is not a yearly vacation for us so I want to spend my time on rides.

We do alright but its relative. Would I pay that kind of cash at AK? Not at all because it wouldn’t be worth it. I would def pay that for MK and stay the entire day, open till close, to get the most out of it. Would I pay $700+ a night to stay at the Poly? No, because I can pay the same amount for a better room in the Maldives.
Dropping that kind of cash on lines os totall
What do you mean by we? Do you have kids?

I would love to hear from a middle-class family under the age of 40 with kids under 10. We were in that boat on our first trip back in 2010 our kids were 5 and 6. We booked a 10-day stay at the Poly for 5500 and that included deluxe dining. It took us a year to save up putting 600 dollars a month into a vacation saving fund and living on a budget. It was a fantastic trip and it's what got us hooked on going. That same trip I'm afraid would cost triple that. I just wonder if it's even doable for middle-class families. I think pop century would cost more than 5500.

We make double or more what we made 13 years ago and I still can't stomach the cost. On our last family trip in 2022, my kids were 17 and 19. We rented points at Saratago two preferred rooms, tickets, and food for around 10k. We got a great deal on the rooms. I think that was probably our last trip. We took two European cruises this year and spent around 15k, but I feel it was a much better value than a theme park.

What do you mean by we? Do you have kids?

I would love to hear from a middle-class family under the age of 40 with kids under 10. We were in that boat on our first trip back in 2010 our kids were 5 and 6. We booked a 10-day stay at the Poly for 5500 and that included deluxe dining. It took us a year to save up putting 600 dollars a month into a vacation saving fund and living on a budget. It was a fantastic trip and it's what got us hooked on going. That same trip I'm afraid would cost triple that. I just wonder if it's even doable for middle-class families. I think pop century would cost more than 5500.

We make double or more what we made 13 years ago and I still can't stomach the cost. On our last family trip in 2022, my kids were 17 and 19. We rented points at Saratago two preferred rooms, tickets, and food for around 10k. We got a great deal on the rooms. I think that was probably our last trip. We took two European cruises this year and spent around 15k, but I feel it was a much better value than a theme park.
I have 2 kids under 8, my partner and I are under 40. What would you like to know?

I have 2 kids under 8, my partner and I are under 40. What would you like to know?
Are you in the middle class? If you are traveling to the Maldives and you are willing to pay 800 a day for fast passes I'm going to assume you're not. I was curious how middle-class families go about budgeting for a trip when prices are so high. This is a budget forum.

Are you in the middle class? If you are traveling to the Maldives and you are willing to pay 800 a day for fast passes I'm going to assume you're not. I was curious how middle-class families go about budgeting for a trip when prices are so high. This is a budget forum.
I forgot this was the budget board. I just wanted to come in and lament with OP about the price with like minded people. Then I got side lined comparing cost vs value. I think you should start another thread and gather the data points.

We have a family friend that rents us DVC points for $10/point. In May 2022 we stayed at Copper Creek for $160/night. That along with my extreme credit card churning and finding Disney gift card deals is why we are still able to go to Disney at the current prices.
Your friends are very nice. My DVC dues are now nearly $10 per point so they are renting to you at their ongoing cost, not including their buy in price.

We have a family friend that rents us DVC points for $10/point. In May 2022 we stayed at Copper Creek for $160/night. That along with my extreme credit card churning and finding Disney gift card deals is why we are still able to go to Disney at the current prices.
Tell your friend if they need a friend I volunteer! They're definitely taking a loss on those points they rent out to you but obviously you must be a pretty good friend to them if they're willing to rent them out to you for that much :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter