needed:enchiladas or enchilada casserole

dreamin_disney

DIS Veteran
I cant make enchiladas for the life of me. I'm looking for a good recipe for the rolled or casserole style. I want it with red sauce. I've tried a few cans of the enchilada sauce but havent found the right one not sure if i'm suppose to add something to it or what. My mother use to make her sauce with real chilis or powder chile but i need something yummy and simple.

oh and my enchiladas come out to wet-yucky wet or to dry

Thanks

I'm not saying this is the right recipe, but here's how I do it (and there's never any left;))

First, I take my crockpot and ling in a chopped onion, two chopped bell pepers, a tin of chopped tomatoes (undrained) and a jar of enchilada sacue (Old El Paso mild sauce - you can add extra fajita seasoning, chilli powder, salsa etc if you like it spicy but I am sensitive to chilli so have to keep it mild) with 3 skinless and boneless chicken breasts. I generally do this about mid-morning and cook on low 6-7 hours.

Then, using a slotted spoon I take out the chicken, put it in a bowl and shred it. I fish out the veg from the crockpot and add to the chicken with about 2 - 3 oz shredded cheddar cheese. I then divide this between the warmed corn tortillas and put in a rectangular casserole - about 8 x 10? Anyway it just fits neatly:goodvibes I then pour over the remaining tomato sauce, top with the cheese and put in the oven at about350-400 degrees for 15 mins until the cheese is all melty but not too brown.

If that's too wet you could leave out the tomatoes, or drain them, I suppose.:thumbsup2

I'm not saying this is the right recipe, but here's how I do it (and there's never any left;))

First, I take my crockpot and ling in a chopped onion, two chopped bell pepers, a tin of chopped tomatoes (undrained) and a jar of enchilada sacue (Old El Paso mild sauce - you can add extra fajita seasoning, chilli powder, salsa etc if you like it spicy but I am sensitive to chilli so have to keep it mild) with 3 skinless and boneless chicken breasts. I generally do this about mid-morning and cook on low 6-7 hours.

Then, using a slotted spoon I take out the chicken, put it in a bowl and shred it. I fish out the veg from the crockpot and add to the chicken with about 2 - 3 oz shredded cheddar cheese. I then divide this between the warmed corn tortillas and put in a rectangular casserole - about 8 x 10? Anyway it just fits neatly:goodvibes I then pour over the remaining tomato sauce, top with the cheese and put in the oven at about350-400 degrees for 15 mins until the cheese is all melty but not too brown.

If that's too wet you could leave out the tomatoes, or drain them, I suppose.:thumbsup2

Thanks but its different from what i'm looking for. It might be a recipe to try when i'm home all day cuz i dont like leaving the crockpot on while i;m at work.

anyone have a recipe???

What about what can enchilada sauce is your favorite. I might need to make 2-3 big batch for next year for dh bday

That sounds like it would be good MazdaUK. I haven't bought enchilada sauce before, so maybe I'll have to adapt it. It seems easily adaptable to anything really, maybe some beef instead of chicken too. Thanks for posting it.

VickiV

From looking at the ingredients you could probably use a jar of pasta sauce and add some fajita seasoning to get the same effect (plus chilli powder/flakes if you wanted it spicier)

my mom my makes cheese enchiladas. I think she uses Las Palmas sauce. (I know it comes from a can) I know some enchilada sauces come in small cans maybe do a trial run.

She heats the enchilada sauce in a pan and another pan she has oil and she lightly fries the corn tortilla (the tortilla needs to be pliable) She then dips it into the enchilada sauce and then puts cheese (she usually uses monterey jack or she will mix cheese but does not use just cheddar) diced onions that were soaked in vinegar and black olives. She rolls it and then continues the process. She likes making them when I am there so i can fry tortillas and she will fill and roll.

I figure you can add anytype of filling you like

hope this helps some

My California grandmother started making enchiladas this way a long time ago, and it's how my family still does it.

We use Las Palmas red chili or enchilada sauce (only brand we'll use), corn tortillas, cooked hamburger, raw onions, shredded Mexican cheese and black olives. Just dip the tortillas in the sauce, roll the other stuff in the tortillas and cover with some more sauce. Top with lots more cheese and sprinkle a little more of the other ingredients on top too.

I usually bake these uncovered at 350 degrees for about 1/2 hour or so. If they seem to be getting dried out, I'll just cover them with foil and keep baking.

My sister's variation is to get a roasted chicken (already cooked), shred the meat, and make the enchiladas as above, but with drained and rinsed canned black beans, frozen corn, onions, cheese and black olives. Really good too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter