Nelson Peltz plans to shake up Disney

drenalin'junkie

Now Serving Customer #
Activist investor Nelson Peltz looking to get Disney the business back on track. This guy---https://www.investopedia.com/terms/n/nelson-peltz.asp

I wonder what his qualifications are. Just because he has a lot of money to invest doesn't make him a good choice to be on the board.

I wonder what his qualifications are. Just because he has a lot of money to invest doesn't make him a good choice to be on the board.
Apparently his qualifications are investing in other companies, getting a spot on board and increasing the value of the company several fold. He has history of turning companies around and has already had proxy battles with Disney that were decided in his and our ( customers) favor. I just don't know if his ideas will work currently. But any guy that went from drop out truck driver to billionaire is worth listening to at least.

But any guy that went from drop out truck driver to billionaire is worth listening to at least.
He was no ordinary truck driver. He went to a private prep school and then an Ivy League, where he dropped out and somehow ended up driving trucks for his grandfather's company.

Edited to remove the names of his schools.

Last edited:

He has an impressive record for creating returns to shareholders. However that doesn’t necessarily translate to increased customer satisfaction. Selling off parts of the company an/or slashing expenses aids the former but diminishes the latter

I don’t. I think Chapek was over his skis and the board sought a calming influence and Iger’s was the only option

well, it can't get any worse than is now. Peltz is wanting a return in dividends. and until investing in confidence is reestablished, the stock will have problems, and Peltz knows it.

Iger made too many bad purchases in the year’s prior to leaving. Feels like the company is hurting because Iger over paid for several companies (Fox, Hulu, and I forget the streaming tech company).

Does anyone else feel like he is in over his head since he came back?
The streaming tech is the backbone of D+, which shockingly has avoided many of the complaints about Disney tech. I don't think that was an overpay (unless of course you think Disney shouldn't have gotten into this side of the streaming business at all, which is a different story).

The streaming tech is the backbone of D+, which shockingly has avoided many of the complaints about Disney tech. I don't think that was an overpay (unless of course you think Disney shouldn't have gotten into this side of the streaming business at all, which is a different story).
I don't disagree with buying streaming tech for D+. However, there are numerous articles indicating Bamtech was less advanced than other options. As a result, Disney had to spend more to fix and develop. Their joint venture on Hulu was better, but the reported agreement to buyout Comcast at a minimum of $27.5 billion next year will be painful.

Iger was the king of buyouts. It worked well for Pixar, Star Wars and Marvel. My personal belief is he went to the same approach too many times and prices for the buyouts kept going up. That was fine when the company was seeing rapid growth. Too many box office failures, revenge travel ended, etc.

Doesn't help that many of Iger's closest allies also left the company when he did.

In time, some of the headwinds will change.

This is political theatre. Right wing investor willing to “make the hard decisions” and “bring old values back”. When in reality they will offload talent, increase output, lower prices to make it feel like they care about the customers and then make out like bandits after driving the company into the ground.
Disney is in the business of creativity. These are not the type of people you put in charge of creative brands. Look at how Chapek failed. Visionaries not investors are needed.
Power, domination and strength will not slap Disney into a profit machine. It needs love, dedication and to be led by someone with hope for the future. Someone like Joe Rohde!
So what is the point of his politics being mentioned? I don't see it germaine to the conversation. And as weve seen recently political discussions here bring out the worst of the extremist koolaid drinking kooks from both sides.

"Someone like Joe Rohde!"

That would have amazing results over time... Sad that it would never happen. Disney needs a Walt/Roy Co-CEO arrangement - one practical/corporate and one visionary/artist. The few times in the past when a "power-duo" like that was running the show, that is when the most creative and wonderful things happened.

So what is the point of his politics being mentioned? I don't see it germaine to the conversation. And as weve seen recently political discussions here bring out the worst of the extremist koolaid drinking kooks from both sides.
Because it’s provides clarity on the true reasons for his thinking and ideas. He presents his ideas under the guise of practicality and leadership ideals but he’s just pushing different buttons.
Great leaders don’t come in thinking they have the answers. A great leader for Disney would be someone that cherishes and recruits creative people. And then gives them the tools to succeed and fail.
George Lucas was actually an amazing leader that understood that well. My hope is they choose someone from the inside that loves Disney and the stories they share. Bean counting is not rocket science. It just involves listening to your Bean Counters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter