New AP’s Paused!

rob191186

Earning My Ears
I’m sure everyone has seen the latest news with WDW now pausing the purchase of new AP’s. I assume this will be until end of year to limit the Xmas crowds?

I myself am going end of Jan 22 for 3 weeks and had planned on purchasing a AP as the 21 day ticket seems to have ended for good.

now that APs are paused (and we don’t have a timeframe of when they might return) my only option is to purchase a “14 day Magic ticket” and upgrade to an AP when I’m there? Is this even possible to do? I am a DVC member so would be looking at the Sorcerer Pass. Purchasing 2 lots of 14 day magic tickets will require a re-mortgage lol

can you upgrade Magic tickets to AP’s and pay the difference? Does this effect any park reservations already made on the 14 day Magic Ticket?
there are no blackout dates for the sorcerer pass during my 3 week vacation so I assume (if AP’s are back by then) I can simply upgrade and pay the extra?

Any info would be much appreciated. The link on the Disney holidays website doesn’t work on this particular question.

Thanks all

You would not be able to upgrade your ticket to the Sorcerer Pass while AP sales are paused. Only renewing existing APs is possible at this time.

Assuming AP sales resume at some point, then historically UK guests have been able to upgrade the Ultimate tickets to APs, with a predetermined dollar value of the ticket being credited towards the AP. I'm not sure I've seen any 'real world' confirmation that the UK Magic tickets can be upgraded in the same way, and if they can, how much they will credit towards an AP.

I’m sure I read that the value you paid for the 14 day ticket (or whatever ticket you have wishing to upgrade) was deducted off the AP price. Either way I’m hoping this rule still applies to the new “Magic Tickets” and park pass reservations aren’t affected.

I think the only option for UK residents who were wishing to purchase an AP will now have to buy a 14 day ticket and upgrade on arrival (whenever AP’s return).

It would just be easier for everyone if the 21 day ticket returned :)

There is(was) a value deducted, but this won't and can't be the value you paid - largely because you paid in GBP, and you also paid UK VAT as part of the price, and APs are sold in USD and attract state tax. So, there was a 'set value' provided in credit, but this was less than the value you paid for the aforementioned reasons and exchange rate fluctuations.

I can't see why this would not continue with the new tickets to be honest... But Disney have been making some strange decisions as of late! I hope it works out for you.

I agree though, such a shame on the 21-day tickets, and have made our annual 3-week DVC trip more complicated and more costly - especially with off-again-on-again AP sales.

It's a good question about park future reservations (those that you have made that take place after your AP conversation). There are different rules and capacity restrictions for AP for day ticket (inc. UK tickets). I seem to remember something similar a while back with the old Fast Passes - and that the system would periodically check for valid resort reservation and ticket media; if the reservation (for the advanced window) or ticket media was not there, the FPs would get cancelled - but there was a grace period. It stands to reason similar would be in place for park reservations. But the system was implemented in such a hurry, with all sorts of things overlooked (e.g. UK visitors are still unable to make park reservations from the UK if the ticket media is an AP), so it is anyone's guess - and you can't really rely on a cast member giving you the correct information either, so hopefully someone on here can chime in with actual real world experience!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter