New AP categories..??

Maistre Gracey

DIS Veteran
Someone here posted an Orlando Sentinal article that said Disney is going to roll out another AP structure?? With at least one more category??

I know the same is happening with USO, but pretty sure the article I read was Disney.

Any further info??

MG

Nope. I'm going to assume it will be a tier between weekday after four and silver with parking not included and allot of additional blackouts priced at what gold is now with after four being silvers price silver being platinum price and platinum and platinum + going up at least $100-200 a pop... Plus Silver dropping free parking for discounted parking and a few more blackouts for silver and gold (and maybe gold even loosing photo pass) + FP+ booking restrictions on all tiers sans platinum +

That's just my assumption based on how things have been looking for locals as of late.... Also an announcement of metered parking at DS to be made by the spring

Nope. I'm going to assume it will be a tier between weekday after four and silver with parking not included and allot of additional blackouts priced at what gold is now with after four being silvers price silver being platinum price and platinum and platinum + going up at least $100-200 a pop... Plus Silver dropping free parking for discounted parking and a few more blackouts for silver and gold (and maybe gold even loosing photo pass) + FP+ booking restrictions on all tiers sans platinum +

That's just my assumption based on how things have been looking for locals as of late.... Also an announcement of metered parking at DS to be made by the spring
Boy...I hope you're wrong...

That's like "Armageddon" pricing.

But...I can't reject your idea...I can see a major assault on the customers wallets by the cheap suits leading up to the Star Wars thing to extract maximum blood...

...of course...they've got one guy working in Orlando on it - what's the rush?

I can see them doing a "build your own price" pass in the near future...charge the customer what they want to use specifically. Now that most everyone is web/app integrated at WDW it makes sense.
They always resisted that with one trippers because it's too confusing...but passholders should be able to handle the flexibility.

at the end of the day I just wonder if I should renew now and be grandfathered in with the old system ( pass expires in October)

Boy...I hope you're wrong...

That's like "Armageddon" pricing.

But...I can't reject your idea...I can see a major assault on the customers wallets by the cheap suits leading up to the Star Wars thing to extract maximum blood...

Talk about burning bridges ... but instead of burning bridges behind the lines, burning them in front of where they're going.

This sounds (again) like they absolutely, positively determined that WDW should be renovated and enhanced with absolutely none of their existing profits/cash/credit, but only with "new cash" that they intend to extract in advance of any expenditures.

It's like they consider the current huge profits of WDW to be their "walking around" money, to be used to bolster the stock price, pour into Shanghai or Paris, pay for bonuses, etc. Using any of that money to reinvest in WDW is apparently verboten or at least extremely repugnant to the Disney execs.

It's the "pay now get Star Wars rides in 4 years" plan.

at the end of the day I just wonder if I should renew now and be grandfathered in with the old system ( pass expires in October)

And this move never makes sense...but happens everytime this comes up...

Give them a large sum of money? To try and save a small
Percentage? That you won't get back next year and every other price increase that follows?

If you're pass is "worth it" at $600 now...will it not be at $650.

I just don't see what the point is of "saving" on things that are so damn expensive...it's like drowning...just "more comfortably"

Talk about burning bridges ... but instead of burning bridges behind the lines, burning them in front of where they're going.

This sounds (again) like they absolutely, positively determined that WDW should be renovated and enhanced with absolutely none of their existing profits/cash/credit, but only with "new cash" that they intend to extract in advance of any expenditures.

It's like they consider the current huge profits of WDW to be their "walking around" money, to be used to bolster the stock price, pour into Shanghai or Paris, pay for bonuses, etc. Using any of that money to reinvest in WDW is apparently verboten or at least extremely repugnant to the Disney execs.

It's the "pay now get Star Wars rides in 4 years" plan.

I don't always agree with you...but do 1000% here...

And why? The same core problem: a company that does nothing anymore without watching the NYSE ticker in real time and a CEO with 1.5 feet out the door...with the "boards blessing"

What a reckless, dangerous combo if you care at all about your quality of product.

Anyone would tell you metered parking would kill Disney Springs. Because metered parking kills everything. A place based on shopping/dining that relies heavily on locals would be death notice.

Doesn't it seem that DS is moving away from relying on locals? I don't think there is a big enough pocket of wealth in orlando to support the retail stores that are moving in there-- and many of the dining venues are maybe a bit out of reach for the locals to frequent.... if they do, there will be a lot of window shopping and bar hopping. I spent some time at PI towards the end (roughly 3 or 4 trlong weekends a year) and I know when we would go to the AC, there were the exact same people taking up the main parlor, even sitting in the same seats (you know who you are).... I think this is something they are trying to avoid...

Doesn't it seem that DS is moving away from relying on locals? I don't think there is a big enough pocket of wealth in orlando to support the retail stores that are moving in there-- and many of the dining venues are maybe a bit out of reach for the locals to frequent.... if they do, there will be a lot of window shopping and bar hopping. I spent some time at PI towards the end (roughly 3 or 4 trlong weekends a year) and I know when we would go to the AC, there were the exact same people taking up the main parlor, even sitting in the same seats (you know who you are).... I think this is something they are trying to avoid...

It seems to me as I stood in the middle of "town center" that they had no idea what to do...

So they said "we want BIG...so let's build big"

And then "wait!...we want people with money!!! Yeah...build some higher end type stuff!"

And then "oh!!!...and cupcakes! Yeah lots of those"

And then "food! Need more food to cut down on the ridiculous 2 hour waits at rainforest and the line around the block at earl of subway...I mean "sandwich"..."

It's not really a Disney development at all...ill wait until they get the west side stuff done and hope that improves the feel...but was initially disappointed. And I had said for about two years prior that I thought downtown was the most important construction they had going...it affects the feel of the property the most.

But it's not above the bar. To say nothing of the bad pathways/traffic flow and another out of the way, Inconvenient bus arrangement (why I hate buses)

And this move never makes sense...but happens everytime this comes up...

Give them a large sum of money? To try and save a small
Percentage? That you won't get back next year and every other price increase that follows?

If you're pass is "worth it" at $600 now...will it not be at $650.

I just don't see what the point is of "saving" on things that are so damn expensive...it's like drowning...just "more comfortably"
Well, in my defense it wouldn't be just to save before the increase but to make FP+ at 60 or even 30 days out for my on site stay the first weekend of November

Well, in my defense it wouldn't be just to save before the increase but to make FP+ at 60 or even 30 days out for my on site stay the first weekend of November

No need for defense...it's just a common take you see around here I don't really understand...

So this year you jump...then they raise prices next year and you jump...and on and on...

The more people that do that...the larger the "circle of abuse" becomes...

But I see your angle...even if it's not really mine :)

It seems to me as I stood in the middle of "town center" that they had no idea what to do...

So they said "we want BIG...so let's build big"

And then "wait!...we want people with money!!! Yeah...build some higher end type stuff!"

And then "oh!!!...and cupcakes! Yeah lots of those"

And then "food! Need more food to cut down on the ridiculous 2 hour waits at rainforest and the line around the block at earl of subway...I mean "sandwich"..."

It's not really a Disney development at all...ill wait until they get the west side stuff done and hope that improves the feel...but was initially disappointed. And I had said for about two years prior that I thought downtown was the most important construction they had going...it affects the feel of the property the most.

But it's not above the bar. To say nothing of the bad pathways/traffic flow and another out of the way, Inconvenient bus arrangement (why I hate buses)

You know, you're right-- they took 9 years to figure out they didn't know what to do with the area, and I guess they just decided this will do. The whole entry area from the parking garages is cold and concrete-- I would think they would have at least planned an area there that if it didn't work as built they could convert to another concept easily--- but not so much.

As I have posted prior-- I do enjoy a couple of the new venues, but the travel to the area will leave me not participating unless staying at Howard Johnsons Springs....

We will see when Edisons opens...

edit-- oops-- I just had to go check what the title of this thread was.....can we just change the title?

Last edited:
Who wants to take the bet that when the new AP categories come out that there will be an option, probably in the second highest and third highest cost bracket, where you have black out dates for any parks with new opening attractions for a month or so? I'm usually not so pessimistic on this, but my gut feels it coming for at least the resident pass....

There-- am I back on the good list now?

You know, you're right-- they took 9 years to figure out they didn't know what to do with the area, and I guess they just decided this will do. The whole entry area from the parking garages is cold and concrete-- I would think they would have at least planned an area there that if it didn't work as built they could convert to another concept easily--- but not so much.

As I have posted prior-- I do enjoy a couple of the new venues, but the travel to the area will leave me not participating unless staying at Howard Johnsons Springs....

We will see when Edisons opens...

edit-- oops-- I just had to go check what the title of this thread was.....can we just change the title?

"Cold" is the perfect adjective...that's what it is. Lacking any sentimentality.

But here we go: they'll try to justify this to critics for the next 10 years...

...they gotta have some of those "Nahtazu" signs laying around somewhere ;)

I might be pulling the trigger on getting my first AP now that I am a DVC member. Is it in my interest to do it now? Will locking it in grandfather me to current gold rules or will they smack me with new restrictions?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter