New Credit Card Authorization Holds

This is what I did last trip, really wasn't that much of a pain. We even used them at restaurants for appetizers and such (had the dining plan). I buy a large amount on discount with cc, then consolidate as needed. It's nice since I can access the GC website on the trip, too. We did also have charging privileges to the room in case we got separated and one of my DS needed something, but that never happened. And we were there 17 days. Sooo, I'm going all GC again, this time NO charging to my room. We can each carry a GC anyways.

I think that is a good idea. It is what I would do if I had teens with me. I alwyas had charging priviledges added for my DGD, but moving forward I would give her a gift card.

This is what I did last trip, really wasn't that much of a pain. We even used them at restaurants for appetizers and such (had the dining plan). I buy a large amount on discount with cc, then consolidate as needed. It's nice since I can access the GC website on the trip, too. We did also have charging privileges to the room in case we got separated and one of my DS needed something, but that never happened. And we were there 17 days. Sooo, I'm going all GC again, this time NO charging to my room. We can each carry a GC anyways.

Yea, I've always used gift cards or cash.

I'm just trying to figure out about the room credit and how that would be handled. I may shoot them an email and find out what the options are.

FWIW...I contacted Chase since we have a Disney Visa. I let them know the dates we will be charging to the room, where we are staying, and roughly how much we will be spending. I also told them we will be using GC's to pay down the balance. I figured it would be easier to take the cards to the front desk rather that carry them around. DH likes the convenience of using the MB for charging.

I want to pay the bill with Disney Gift Cards, is it possible to charge to the magic band and pay every 3 day the bill at the front desk? Or must i go every day to the front desk and pay the bill?

I want to pay the bill with Disney Gift Cards, is it possible to charge to the magic band and pay every 3 day the bill at the front desk? Or must i go every day to the front desk and pay the bill?

They run the charges through on day 5, so you should be good.

We checked in Sunday for 6 nights and were paying off charges each night to keep the balance under $100. Last night (Thurs) we forgot to pay off the balance and the parking fee put us at $108 so this morning I noticed we now have two $100 holds which is understandable, but since it’s the 5th day they also charged our card for the $108. The issue though is that I’m also seeing an additional $108 pending charge.

So, as of right now I have two $100 and two $108 pending charges. My available credit has decreased by $208. So it’s about right I think.

We just returned last night from a 7nt stay at AKL. We kept our Disney Visa on file for room charging but ended up not using it. We ended up getting both our kids their own gift cards and we estimated our dining cost and used gift cards for that and cash for souvenirs well and it worked perfectly. The kids were a little more mindful of their spending and so were we, so in the end we saved money...sorry Disney lol. I did watch the holds on our account out of curiosity though. We had the $100 hold already on the card the morning we arrived last Thursday morning. Then on day 5 that hold was released and another $100 hold was placed. On day 6, all holds were gone again, then yesterday morning at check out, I noticed a new $100 hold was placed again. I'm assuming because we were checking out and could still use our bands to charge? They are all gone as of today but it was a little strange. I had a chat with a cast member at the front desk about the policy and she said the cast members really don't like the new hold policy. She said it causes so many new issues and they are flooded with complaints daily.

I must have really stumped them with my email asking about what happens if you have a room credit (I'd paid my room only stay in full, then switched to Pop from CBR and there was a little over $100 difference that is on my room as a credit) but want to turn off charging. Sent it Tuesday morning and got the auto "We'll get back to you" reply but have not heard anything else back yet.

I must have really stumped them with my email asking about what happens if you have a room credit (I'd paid my room only stay in full, then switched to Pop from CBR and there was a little over $100 difference that is on my room as a credit) but want to turn off charging. Sent it Tuesday morning and got the auto "We'll get back to you" reply but have not heard anything else back yet.

In order to use that $100 resort credit by charging via Magic Bands, you will have to have a CC on file also. They will put a $100 hold on your CC and will use the resort credit first to pay off/down your balance on day 5.

If you don't want to do that, then when you arrive ask them to refund the $$ currently showing as a resort credit to whatever card you used to pay for the room only.

In order to use that $100 resort credit by charging via Magic Bands, you will have to have a CC on file also. They will put a $100 hold on your CC and will use the resort credit first to pay off/down your balance on day 5.

If you don't want to do that, then when you arrive ask them to refund the $$ currently showing as a resort credit to whatever card you used to pay for the room only.

I was hoping maybe it could be in a gift card form - I don't have that exact card any longer because of compromise.

I was hoping maybe it could be in a gift card form - I don't have that exact card any longer because of compromise.

They can do that, but it takes like 3 levels of management to get it done and quite a long time. That is the main reason they stopped letting guests put $$ on their room/account for charging via Gift Card. Guests would come with a $1000 Gift Card, load it onto their room/account and throw the Gift Card away. Then come check out day if they only spent like $500, they of course would want the other $500 and the system has no easy way to take that $500 and put it on a different/new Gift Card.

They can do that, but it takes like 3 levels of management to get it done and quite a long time. That is the main reason they stopped letting guests put $$ on their room/account for charging via Gift Card. Guests would come with a $1000 Gift Card, load it onto their room/account and throw the Gift Card away. Then come check out day if they only spent like $500, they of course would want the other $500 and the system has no easy way to take that $500 and put it on a different/new Gift Card.

Gotcha. In this case I didn't ask for it to be a room credit. I figured it would be refunded when I made the change (my card had not been compromised at that point). I have no clue why they opted to do it this way.

Gotcha. In this case I didn't ask for it to be a room credit. I figured it would be refunded when I made the change (my card had not been compromised at that point). I have no clue why they opted to do it this way.

Yeah, I don't know either.

Did you get a replacement of the same kind of credit card, just with a new number? If so, that refund should still go back to your new card. I've had that happen a couple of times (not at Disney), and my refunds processed just fine. You could call your credit card company and ask, to be sure.

Did you get a replacement of the same kind of credit card, just with a new number? If so, that refund should still go back to your new card. I've had that happen a couple of times (not at Disney), and my refunds processed just fine. You could call your credit card company and ask, to be sure.

I was specifically talking about Disney Gift Cards. You are correct, if you get a new CC from the same issuer as the previous one there is no issue with funds going back on the new card.

Yes, I'm aware that usually happens, but I'd rather be able to actually USE it than have to wait for it to be refunded. And I'd rather not tie up funds to have charging to the room.

With our split stay between 3 resorts in a couple weeks.. my plan was to do online check in & have charging privileges just in case... but not actually charge anything to our rooms.
The more reports I read & the closer my trip gets I’m starting to think I may not even want my card on file. I’m good with going to the front desk to check in the old fashioned way if it saves some financial headache. Problem is, I’ve already done online check in for all of my resorts.
Anyone know how to remove/cancel online check in? Will I need to call?
Thanks

With our split stay between 3 resorts in a couple weeks.. my plan was to do online check in & have charging privileges just in case... but not actually charge anything to our rooms.
The more reports I read & the closer my trip gets I’m starting to think I may not even want my card on file. I’m good with going to the front desk to check in the old fashioned way if it saves some financial headache. Problem is, I’ve already done online check in for all of my resorts.
Anyone know how to remove/cancel online check in? Will I need to call?
Thanks

Just go to the front desk at check in and have them remove the charging privileges from your reservation. You could ask them not to put a hold on your credit card and maybe they will be able to do it. Otherwise, if they put the $100 hold on the card you used, and if you don't make any charges to your room then the hold will never increase and will it fall off some time after your trip is over.

Last edited:
I was specifically talking about Disney Gift Cards. You are correct, if you get a new CC from the same issuer as the previous one there is no issue with funds going back on the new card.
Sorry, I meant to quote the PP you replied to, not your reply!

If I am not going to charge anything back to the room (I will be paying with cash or debit card at every purchase, not charging) will they still put a hold on my card? The card I have on file is a debit card. Thanks in advance!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter