New cruiser

debbiecarol

Earning My Ears
Hello all you experienced cruisers.I'am back from a week in the world and we decided that next August 2004 we will do the Disney cruise and then stay for 3 days at WDW. I think that this is called the land and sea package. I don't want to sound like a dummy when I call Disney so could you all fill me in.?
Questions 1. What is the difference between the 2 ships
2. How do I choose which level to have a room on?
3. Can anyone guesstimate what this might cost.?
Thank-you in advance for any help you can give. I have been to Disney 9 times but this cruise is trying my nerves. Debbie:jester:

Hi debbiecarol- Welcome to the DisBoards. To estimate a price you'll need to know just what dates you want to sail. Your dates will dictate which ship, as will the length of your cruise. They both don't set sail at the same time to the same destination. If you go to the travel agency's site that I used you can at least get some prices to start at. www.allseastravel.com The site will help you figure out when and where and prices according to your date destination and group size. Your room level or deck is pretty much determined by the class of stateroom you choose. Some staterooms classes can be found on different decks and then you'd actually choose you deck and stateroom classification.

Hi Debbie........ welcome to the DISboards. I'll try to give you a little help.......

The land/sea package comes in two "flavors"...... 3 days on land/4 days at sea or, 4 days land/3 days at sea. I think going to WDW first is the way to go, so you can relax on the ship.

As for room category, that is a personal choice based on price and whether or not you want a verandah, port hole, or be inside.

They won't quote the best rate you can get, but you can go to www.disneycruise.com and get a quote based on the dates you want to travel (click on the reservations link on their home page).
Once you see Disney's price, you can shop around.

A couple of really helpful sites are www.castawayclub.com and www.dcltribute.com. Plus, if you scan through the posts on this board, there is a lot of great info from some very helpful people.

Please get the Passporters Field guide to the Disney Cruise Line. This will help you immensley on getting started and finding which category you want to stay in, etc. IT is a great book. I would start there first. We did the land/sea in April and loved it so we are going on the 7 day western in November. If you are doing the land/sea package with Disney, you will be on the Wonder. The Magic only does 7 nights and a couple longer cruises.

Hi Debbie!

Okay, first, do you have a DCL catalog and Video... Get those!!! That will be all the very basic info. You can request the video from DCL online, but it will take a few weeks to arrive. So, stop by your local travel agent and pick up the catalog, and see if they have a 'loaner' video! :D

Once you have poured over the catalog and ship diagrams... You will begin to have an idea of what kind of cabin and location that you might want.

Then, another great way to see pricing, is to go to a site like Travelocity.... There you can pull up an easy to understand listing of all sailing dates, and their lowest available price for the lowest level of cabin.

Booking early with DCL usually nets the best early-booking-savings rates! They do not usually lower prices... just the opposit. Only exception is like specials on Cat.11 guarantee sailings in the Fall OFF season.... especially during September. Some cabins, like the secret porthole cabins, and the so called 'obstructed' verandah cabins. are booked up as much as a year in advance. ( They offer the porthole, or the verandah, at the price of the next lower category....)

It can be best to book each part of your vacation separately, (thru the same agent and all....) But not as the Disney Package.... You may save some $$$ and you will have control over your air flights if you are flying to Orlando. So you may want to consider booking it this way???

Hang out on the boards here, visit those sites listed above, and before you know it you will be a cruise veteran!!! :D

ok as of right now the Disney wonder is the ship u would be going on.. it would be 4 day cruise ...

try booking seprately for ex. just book cruise and then
book your disney stay this site willl help u get the best rate
that disney has going www.mousesavers.com

as for the Catagory of the ship stateroom u would like is up to you we have stayyed in 4 threw 10 go to this site and look under staterooms there r a couple of well know Disney secrets
on rooms there for example on deck Only u can get a cat 10 stateroom , witch is a Deluxe inside stateroom , But it has a porthole Slightly obstructed Very little... so instead of spending money on cat 9 u could book cat 10 dont be afraid to ask who ever u book threw for a specific Room on the ship......
www.castawayclub.com

Thank you all for the help.So I will be on the Wonder for a 4 day cruise.If I book the trip seperately for the land portion do I get to use the bus to go to the port.? CAn you tell me why you have to fly in a day early and where do you stay? Is it that nuch cheaper to cruise in may? Thanks Debbie

Hi!

I'm fairly new here myself, but I can answer one of your questions:

Can you still use the Disney Transfer Bus, if you book the cruise separately from your WDW stay.

The answer is YES, bus transfers can be an added thing. BUT the Disney Bus is a more expensive way to go when comparing it to taking a towncar. And many of the towncars throw in a stop at the grocery store on the way.

I'm using Tiffanytowncar.com but other companies used by people who post here are: happylimo.com, fltours.com, and one more I can't remember.

Anyway, hope that helps!

If you are doing WDW first, then it is not as important to consider flying in the day before... If you are doing the cruise first, then I would definately consider flying in the day before.

Remember, you can arrive at the port in the morning, and boarding sometimes begins shortly after Noon. You will want to begin your cruise right away! Also, let's say you book a flight that is due to arrive at MCO at Noon... These days, flights have a great chance of being changed, cancelled, moved back a few hours, etc... So, you would get up in the wee hours of the morning, then be 'lucky' to board the ship by 3:30, or later, already worn out from travel.

PS: Spa and Palo reservations are first come first served... So, if you would be interested in these, you would want to board fairly early to get the reservations for the times that you are hoping for.

You could do the Wonder 3 night or 4 night. If you get the Disney package, you have a choice of 4 night Disney world/3 night cruise or 3 night disney world/4 night cruise. I would only fly in the night before if you are doing the cruise 1st.

Hi thankyou so much for all your replys.I think that we have decided on staying 3 nights at POR first then cruising for 4 nights with disney transfers. I think for our first cruise we will go with a cheap room and see if we even like being on a cruise.My last confusion is on priceing.Disney said 1,180.86 per adult and $999.85 teen.TA said1,499.80 per adult 999.85for my teen and another travel agent said 1995.00 plus 500. for the land portion. Oh brother.!!!!! I'm way out of my league on this one. Any in put from anyone out there with priceing. We are going in august 2004. Sorry about the typing I'am using a new key board and I'am not getting along with it. Thanks again , DEBBIE:jester:

Yep, pricing is the fun part!!! :rolleyes:

Make sure that you get an itemized listing from each TA, instead of a vague total... Some automatically include insurance, transfers, taxes, fees, etc.

I would want to find a TA who really specializes in disney... They would know if they could save you any money by booking the components separately, or as a package. I am thinking that Disney sometimes offers specials on visiting WDW... But, not the 'Packages'.

And, yes, some places may indeed be a bit cheaper than others.... We booked thru Dreams Unlimited, since all quotes on our 4 nite cruise were exactly the same, we were able to at least get their rebate.

Happy planning! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter