New D23 Expo Superthread! (6/24/2019)

For anyone who might be visiting the Disney Ambassadors, one of our former Disneyland board DISers "DLR29" (Stephen Lim) is a Disney Ambassador this year, and will be at D23 all weekend. Be sure to say hi to him, and let him know you're on the Disboards. He's a wonderful person, and did the college program at Disneyland, then moved to WDW, where he has been working in various positions there.

As for the D23 Expo, I'm done stressing. Now, my roommates and I are in planning mode, and we know we'll have fun regardless of the panels we get in. In 2017, we went to various panels and had a wonderful time in the unplanned ones we got in.

We're trying to figure what type of sit-upons to take to save our tushes. I'm bummed about the foldable chairs. I have one that fits in my backpack, and used it in the early morning queues, and not during the day. It really saved my knees. I have my Fantasmic pad that fits in my backpack, and a little inflatable cushion I might take.
I wondered what happened to Stephen as he dropped off of DIS. I met him at DLR right about the time he started at Disney maybe 5 years ago. We rode Jingle Cruise together. He also did a favor for my 50th birthday party LOL. One of my friends had him buy like 20 Tigger Tails from Pooh Corner and FedEx them for my party. Cool kid! I will look for him at the Expo.

:wizard:

I don't know if there is an official list of the food trucks (but this video lists some: https://d23.com/d23-video/eats-treats-dining-at-d23-expo-2019/). Some of the trucks come back repeatedly, like the Barcelona Truck. Last time, I remember the Grass Fed Burger truck. The trucks have twitter feeds and usually post if they'll be at the ACC. I remember the Barcelona truck was there in the mornings selling breakfast burritos and stayed until the end of the day. There was an ice cream sandwich truck, a BBQ truck, a grilled cheese truck (?), and a few more. Thank goodness for the trucks -- without them, we would have starved. Also, the Hilton has a little food court on the bottom level and a Starbucks in the lobby.

Thank you for this information. I knew about the Hilton since we decided to stay there for closeness, but I love a good food truck so would like to try a few.

Btw my original D23 Gold membership expired in early August - I don't seem to have handy my old Gold membership card - and I renewed it a few days ago before the Great Online Fiasco and I'm going to need to get my new D23 Gold card their courtesy desk on the 2nd floor for D23 Member services. I'm hoping that they are open on Thursday instead of Friday? If I'm going to have to wait in the line like the other homeless who couldn't get a reservation and there's a Gold Member line, on Friday AM before the main show opens, I would think I would need my badge to go in - unless I just show them my updated membership information on the D23 site.

Is there a list somewhere of the food trucks out for D23? My sister said to me yesterday that we were making time for the food trucks. I forgot to ask her if she had found a list because I had not. I know we could wait and check them out once we head out, but if it is going to be crowded, it would be good to know right were we wanted to start.

As @theluckyrabbit mentioned, there was a video that briefly mentioned a few...and they should eventually be in the app...in theory. The app list was blank the last time I checked. ;)

👋 This guy. I think I was less...anxious...going to Europe for 2 weeks last year.

But it's gonna be fine, it's gonna be exhausting, it's gonna be fun.

Due to the failure we experienced with reservations last Friday... I do not look forward to waking up (or not going to sleep at all at the hotel) at 2 AM and sitting like some crazies all night/morning for those morning panels... getting up at 6 AM to get in there, sure, that'll work. But arriving the day before as early as 2 PM... haha... that's just insanity!! But now I remember why I don't make a point to go all that often... <__<

Last edited:
I don't know if there is an official list of the food trucks (but this video lists some: https://d23.com/d23-video/eats-treats-dining-at-d23-expo-2019/). Some of the trucks come back repeatedly, like the Barcelona Truck. Last time, I remember the Grass Fed Burger truck. The trucks have twitter feeds and usually post if they'll be at the ACC. I remember the Barcelona truck was there in the mornings selling breakfast burritos and stayed until the end of the day. There was an ice cream sandwich truck, a BBQ truck, a grilled cheese truck (?), and a few more. Thank goodness for the trucks -- without them, we would have starved. Also, the Hilton has a little food court on the bottom level and a Starbucks in the lobby.

Another option besides Food Trucks and Food Courts is the Sit down restaurant inside the Hilton, Mix Restaurant. It's a nice QUIET place to take a break from the Expo. It's funny the past few years when I've gone there, I have been some recognizable imagineering faces dining there too.

Mentally prepping as well and remembered this life hack. Having your email or phone number on the back of your badge could prove helpful should it get lost.

Granted it sounds like during shipping many of the badges made a breakaway from the envelope. 🙈

Due to the failure we experienced with reservations last Friday... I do not look forward to waking up (or not going to sleep at all at the hotel) at 2 AM and sitting like some crazies all night/morning for those morning panels... getting up at 6 AM to get in there, sure, that'll work. But arriving the day before as early as 2 PM... haha... that's just insanity!! Now I remember why I don't make a point to go all that often... <__<

Yeah I'm a little concerned about that too. I do RunDisney events a few times a year and here I thought getting up at 3AM for a 5:30AM race was crazy. Well, this appears to be topping that. See you all in the Will Call line on Thursday morning!

Has anyone shown up in the overnight line and been turned away from the morning panel?
All past rules are out the window, but I did want to remind folks that a significant portion of the overnight queue will NOT be there for the panels. Many of the early campers will be for waiting for the show floor since they are collectors, pin traders, or sadly, eBay resellers. MOG Pin Store did not offer StorePass, so expect the serious pin collectors to be there early, along with anyone seeking the LE art or dolls.

So even if the overnight queue looks daunting, just remember not all of those people are there for Hall D23.

Due to the failure we experienced with reservations last Friday... I do not look forward to waking up (or not going to sleep at all at the hotel) at 2 AM and sitting like some crazies all night/morning for those morning panels... getting up at 6 AM to get in there, sure, that'll work. But arriving the day before as early as 2 PM... haha... that's just insanity!! Now I remember why I don't make a point to go all that often... <__<

I will be sleeping every night in a bed, to be honest. I can do a 5:30 am alarm, shower and get my butt in line for 6. I'l be staying at the Hilton right next door and 5:30 is later than I typically sleep on a weekday anyway...so I'm "sleeping in." LOL!

All past rules are out the window, but I did want to remind folks that a significant portion of the overnight queue will NOT be there for the panels. Many of the early campers will be for waiting for the show floor since they are collectors, pin traders, or sadly, eBay resellers. MOG Pin Store did not offer StorePass, so expect the serious pin collectors to be there early, along with anyone seeking the LE art or dolls.

So even if the overnight queue looks daunting, just remember not all of those people are there for Hall D23.

Yes, very true.. good reminder. It's hard to *want* to plan but can't! :rolleyes1

Looks like a change from 2017 :
“Main entry for overnight queues is directly off Katella Avenue at the Arena Plaza on the north end of the convention center.”
I’m thinking they want to keep the overnight/early morning line far apart from the main entrance to make them very distinct. I don’t know if there is a escalator to the basement from the north end or if they will just have people walk the inside corridor from the north to the south and then go down the escalator. Guess we will just have to wait and see ...

So the overnight queue is outside the convention center building then (Arena Plaza)? How will they keep the line orderly once they move people into Hall E? I'm wondering because I've had issues with line jumpers and lines accidentally merging at other Cons.

Hi...Maybe this has been asked before, if so please forgive. My husband and I cannot attend D23 Expo 2019 due to some unforeseen issues. We have bought tickets for the Sunday 8/25 and they have arrived. We did not activate them. I have searched the D23 Expo website and have sent emails asking my question, and have called 855-323-5973 and have found out nothing. I would like to give my tickets to friends who live in CA. Is it possible for them to use them without any issues? If so, can they register the tickets using their own names? Thanks for any help.:eeyore:

Hi...Maybe this has been asked before, if so please forgive. My husband and I cannot attend D23 Expo 2019 due to some unforeseen issues. We have bought tickets for the Sunday 8/25 and they have arrived. We did not activate them. I have searched the D23 Expo website and have sent emails asking my question, and have called 855-323-5973 and have found out nothing. I would like to give my tickets to friends who live in CA. Is it possible for them to use them without any issues? If so, can they register the tickets using their own names? Thanks for any help.:eeyore:

If you can ship the badges to them lightning fast, I don't see why you couldn't. Especially if you get them to register them with their names and emails. If they need to go to Will Call, that might be a different story. Not fully sure...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter