New DVC owner needing advice

bdrex28

Mouseketeer
So, I have a question about holding points.

I had two reservations for this coming week May 11-14th and then May 14th-17th. (split stay)

The first stay was a 1 BR Villa and the 2nd was a deluxe studio.

I had a waitlist in for the first section to do a deluxe studio.

Today (9 days prior to trip) my waitlist was filled so now I have both reservations for a deluxe studio.

This threw points into holding due to the difference.

Now this is where I have my question.

I have points in holding. My use year is Feb.

If I modify my deluxe back to a 1 BR can I use the holding points? My wife decided maybe she'd like the 1 BR for the first half of trip

If we leave it as it is, then what do I need to do with the holding? I can't bank them so I have to use right?

member services pulled them out of holding for me. I'm good now :)

I'm glad it worked out for the best.

Next time, if you don't want points to end in holding, you should set the waitlist to cancel at 31 days out. It's one of the options you pick when you set it up online.

I'm glad it worked out for the best.

Next time, if you don't want points to end in holding, you should set the waitlist to cancel at 31 days out. It's one of the options you pick when you set it up online.

Thank you, that's great advice. I just left it at the 7 days it defaulted to and didn't even think about the holding.

In your situation you could’ve went in to reservation #2, hit modify, change nothing and then just at the end apply the holding points to that reservation. That would have released the ‘non-holding points’ originally used on that reservation. But that only works if #2 has enough points to absorb the excess from #1 change 1BR to studio.

Member Services is known to give one ‘grace’ to new owners (not guaranteed however). Probably because there are many of these little details that are hard to understand until actually experienced.

Read next post:

Last edited:
In your situation you could’ve went in to reservation #2, hit modify, change nothing and then just at the end apply the holding points to that reservation. That would have released the ‘non-holding points’ originally used on that reservation. But that only works if #2 has enough points to absorb the excess from #1 change 1BR to studio.
That's not correct since that reservation was also within 30 days. It would have applied the holding points, but the points that it replaced would just become holding points because they are being pulled out of that reservations with less than 30 days to go.

The key is that the reservation you modify online and want to apply holding points to must be between 31 and 60 days out.

At least this is how MS explained it to us.

That's not correct since that reservation was also within 30 days. It would have applied the holding points, but the points that it replaced would just become holding points because they are being pulled out of that reservations with less than 30 days to go.

The key is that the reservation you modify online and want to apply holding points to must be between 31 and 60 days out.

At least this is how MS explained it to us.
Oh I see - The points can only be applied to a reservation outside 30 days for it to work. I hoped somebody would correct if i overlooked somethong. Thank you!

To answer the original question, yes, modifying back to a 1BR would use the holding points as long as you selected the contract(s) with holding points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter