New Experience - Quick Solo Visit

msmayor

Finding my beach...
New experience for me...I will be in Orlando for a business trip in May, and decided to tack on one extra night so I can go to Epcot and see the Flower and Garden Festival. I've never been to a park on my own before, and I'm excited about the experience of being able to wander where I want, when I want, with no worries and no agenda.

No plans for any sit-down meals...going to enjoy festival foods. No 'touring plan' with the only must-try-to-do being a ride on Test Track. It closes down the day BEFORE our big family trip in June, so glad I'll have a shot at one final ride before it is re-imagined.

Would love to hear from others who have done a day solo before, and any tips/hints you can offer.

On my annual solo trip, I concentrate on the rides/ attractions that don't interest my family. There are parts of EPCOT that I love, while my family has less interest... the Canada film, Norway's Stave Church / Exhibit, Italy's wine bar, and other items like that. It scratches my 'itch' for another year and then, when my family wants to concentrate on other things, I can support them. I hope you have a great trip!

EP is a BIG park and you move faster as a solo. I think that makes it even more important really “finish” in an area before moving on. Decide on your walking plan and stick to it.. It’s easy tot honk I’ll go where I want and when I want, but in EP, that’s tough and if you try criss crossing the park three times you are going to be exhausted.

My favorite thing to do at Epcot is to book a late dining reservation at San Angel - even if I don't get more than a drink and appetizer (I'm looking at you chips and queso/salsa)... then, walk out after Park Close (fireworks are over) through a basically empty world showcase (Mexico to America to France to Canada). Especially during Flower & Garden festival... can enjoy all of the topiaries without the crowds... last time we did this, most have lights on them so you can see them. This only works on nights that there isn't EEH for deluxe resorts or Epcot After Hours events. So if park closes at 9 p.m. (and fireworks are at 9 p.m.) we try to find a dining reservation right before 9 p.m. San Angel's is one of the few Epcot restaurant's that does this... there are a couple others, too.

Last edited:
New experience for me...I will be in Orlando for a business trip in May, and decided to tack on one extra night so I can go to Epcot and see the Flower and Garden Festival. I've never been to a park on my own before, and I'm excited about the experience of being able to wander where I want, when I want, with no worries and no agenda.

No plans for any sit-down meals...going to enjoy festival foods. No 'touring plan' with the only must-try-to-do being a ride on Test Track. It closes down the day BEFORE our big family trip in June, so glad I'll have a shot at one final ride before it is re-imagined.

Would love to hear from others who have done a day solo before, and any tips/hints you can offer.
Only one final ride on Test Track? Remember, as a solo, you'll head to the single riders line, and you'll be able to take 2-3 rides probably. As a solo, I've had days when I've done a few rides a bunch of times each. Heck, one day I did Kilimanjaro Safari only for an entire day (with breaks for meals and potty stops). I think I rode it 11 times that day. The first time I went to Epcot solo, I went in to every shop and wandered in to corners of every country, just to see "What's there?"
One [no, two] word of advice-
chat with Cast Members
Have fun!

How exciting. I love WDW with my family, but that first solo one I did was so nice. You'll be able to stop and smell the roses (literally). I wondered in and out of shops, rode rides, ate foods and had some drinks. Watched the France film which my family never wants to do 🤣. Enjoy your trip!

How wonderful! I have done a few solo days over the years. It is a different experience. Based on what you wrote I think you have a pretty good idea of what to do.

Like you mentioned I would usually have one big goal for a visit. I remember a summer visit to check on our snowbird home. I picked a day, got up early and headed to AK with the goal of riding FoP. After waiting about 30 minutes a few rows back from the rope on the pathway to Pandora it was basically a walk on once the rope dropped. Once I was done with my "must do" I rode Navi River and then wandered up to the Safari. After the Safari I just wandered around the park, visiting a few of the pathways around the Tree of Life that my DW and I don't usually frequent. I recall there was a Mickey Bar in there somewhere while I was enjoying being immersed in the experience.

Have fun!

Only one final ride on Test Track? Remember, as a solo, you'll head to the single riders line, and you'll be able to take 2-3 rides probably. As a solo, I've had days when I've done a few rides a bunch of times each. Heck, one day I did Kilimanjaro Safari only for an entire day (with breaks for meals and potty stops). I think I rode it 11 times that day. The first time I went to Epcot solo, I went in to every shop and wandered in to corners of every country, just to see "What's there?"
One [no, two] word of advice-
chat with Cast Members
Have fun!

Good point - totally forgot about the single rider line!

I'm looking forward to wandering...and just being...in the magic. I plan to pace myself to make it all day - it will probably be crowded since it's a Friday, but that's OK. No one to corral or keep track of, and I can do my thing.

I did this once for the same reasons at Disneyland. Because I was only there for one day, I really went crazy booking around the parks, I wish I had slowed down (ha!). I did take advantage of single rider lines but quickly realized this wasn't always faster for certain attractions (Matterhorn comes to mind, but obviously that's not at WDW). I would be prepared to miss your family a little bit, I know that I did. I had a cast member take a picture of me for me and I'm so glad I did. I would not hesitate to do it again but it's definitely a different type of visit! enjoy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter