New Golf Clubs Recommendations?

TinkOhio

DIS Veteran
We recently retired, moved to Florida, and bought a home on a golf course. I donated my last set of clubs over 20 years ago, which was also the last time I golfed. Can anyone recommend where to find a new set that is decent enough to hold onto for a few years? Is there a particular set that might work well for someone just above beginner level? I’m a 5’8” female with longer arms and have even played with my 6’4” dad’s old clubs in a pinch. My friend who golfs very frequently recommended a Calloway set from Costco, but I wouldn’t know a decent set from a not-so-great one. We can golf for free now, so I would love a set that I can improve with.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Since you live in Fl and are just starting out with golf again why not look for a secondhand set courtesy of Craig’s List, local thrift shops, etc. You can build up your expertise and better know what you really want without the large expenditure of cash.

Lots of variables and budget considerations … secondhand sets are definitely an option and the PGA store actually sells used equipment. Whether you chose to buy at the PGA store or not, it does provide an option to try the various club styles/levels out - including complete sets of irons/woods etc … and you might find a friendly/knowledgeable resource as well.

I recently replaced a set that I have had for 20 years and spent quite a bit of time online as well as at the PGA store before I ordered my set online … I started with the irons, then to the hybrids and eventually bought my woods and Driver separately (same manufacturer, but different model than my irons and hybrids).

The Callaway set from Costco is appropriate for low/beginner skill level. It's nice because it has everything you need so you don't have to piece together a complete set of woods, irons, wedges, putter, bag...

I'd also set aside some money for some lessons. They will help your game more than the best clubs.

Callaway, TaylorMade, Cobra, and Tour Edge, are some of the bigger names that that would make decent clubs to start out with, so that Callaway set will probably be fine.

As mentioned a PGA Superstore or if you have a Dick's Sporting Goods around should allow you to hit some different clubs for free to get an idea if there is a specific set you like.

Will second the suggestion on setting up a few lessons as well, will be more important early on than what clubs you get starting out.

If you are just above beginner level, there isn't much point in buying expensive/custom fit clubs. Just about any of them will be fine for you. More advanced golfers would want to get clubs with the type of shaft/swing characteristics to get the most out of their game. Novice golfers will be fine with any brand of clubs. No one company makes clubs that are any better then everyone else. Clever marketing tries to make it sound like they have figured something out that no one knows. Much the same with golf balls. Clubs should last for years and there is really no reason to run out and frequently buy newer clubs. You can't 'buy' a golf swing, usually takes years of practice and depends on how skillful you are.

Novice golfers will spend most of their time trying to hit the center of the clubface just to get the ball airborne. A few lessons with a good pro will probably do more to improve your game then any specific brand of clubs you might buy.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter