NEW ORLEANS

We stayed at the French Market Inn and loved it. Cannot wait to go back!! I would suggest the Mardi Gras museum - we figured it would be hokey but it was actually really neat. Check out Groupon and the like for discounts on it. I'm probably like the only person out there that wasn't in love with the WWII museum. I mean it was neat and worth a visit but it's pretty expensive and was so crowded while we were there that you couldn't hardly read any of the info on the exhibits and such - the best part was the entrance with the train and the movie.

On weekdays many of the top restaurants have incredible lunch deals. Check Commanders Palace and Restaurant August as a couple of examples

Was just there a few weeks ago and did the Quarter again. Cafe Beignet and Gumbo House are good choices for food/drinks. Jackson Square area is good to visit at last 1X.

They stopped doing tours at the Superdome (bummed!) after Katrina.

WWII museum was average; I expected more and it seemed overwhelmed with screens.

On weekdays many of the top restaurants have incredible lunch deals. Check Commanders Palace and Restaurant August as a couple of examples
The weekday menu at Commander's has 2 course lunch specials that run $18-22. Martinis, Cosmos, and two other drinks are 25 cents each. There are some wine options for $6 a glass. We eat there most Thursdays when we are at our New Orleans home. Our condo is on St. Charles only a mile away from Commander's. I've been known to walk there when I went without my DH (he doesn't drink) so I could have my martinis.

We booked our Hotel and Fights yesterday for the first week of November. Super excited!

My husband and I were just there at the end of October. We stayed at the Renaissance New Orleans Arts Warehouse District hotel. It was the perfect location. He was there for a conference so during the day I could explore. I felt very safe walking in this area. It's a short walk to the waterfront (shopping and riverboats), the WWII museum, French Quarter, the street car stops. We did not have a car (took an uber from the airport). We relied on walking and the trolly to get us places. Our absolute favorite was riding the street cars. They sell a pass for just a few dollars and you can jump on and of. The Saint Charles Line was our absolute favorite and we took a second trip on it. You can ride it to the end and then jump back on to come back to town. We also loved Mother's Restaurant! They have the best ham! We ate there several times on our trip. I keep talking about how we need to get back to ride the street cars and eat at Mothers! Since we were there a few days before Halloween, many of the houses on the green line were all spooked up! One of the cemeteries was just a short walk from one of the stops as well!

How as the weather and crowds at this time? We may go next year around Halloween time. I wasn't sure but i thought that was Hurricane
season ?

How as the weather and crowds at this time? We may go next year around Halloween time. I wasn't sure but i thought that was Hurricane
season ?

Temperature was around 75-80 during the day. It was definitely bearable. My husband sweats (a lot!) and he only complained maybe once or twice when we walked like 2-3 miles one afternoon/evening.
There was some kind of concert going on at a park (at the end of the street car line) so it was a little more crowded those days.
We had previously gone in the summer for 2 days and it was so much cooler and less crowded.
We would love to go back around the same time again.
I do believe it’s the end of the hurricane season so that shouldn’t be too much of a worry.

season ?

Voodoo Fest happens near Halloween day.. so look for that if you plan to stay during Oct 31. Consider it hot and humid all year round.. our weather is more unpredictable than WDW... lots of folks love Drago's for their charbroiled oysters... i am not an oyster fan.. but you might just become one! there's more to NOLA than Bourbon Street.. but i think you should at least walk it one time at night.. and try a hand-grenade :) there are so many music and arts type things.. you can look into taking a dinner cruise on the Creole Queen or the Natchez paddlewheel boats. Our last trip over we stayed at The Westin.. it was nice.. you must remember that many many many of the hotels are built in the OLD buildings.. and they feel moist no matter how much A/C is running!! just part of the atmosphere! I could not agree more with those who recommend the street cars.. we LOVE them! tell the men in your family to keep their wallets in their front pockets, hahahah; there are professional pick-pockets all over :)

Local here. Stay at the French Market Inn if you wanna stay in the quarter. Avoid bourbon at ALL cost. It smells of hobos and urine. Lol. Any other questions?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter