New policy for reservations based on check IN date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haviing read all of the comments I still think I like the new policy. :thumbsup2

I think she means you can no longer do day-by-day waitlisting- waitlisting for a single night is still ok.

Ah, that makes more sense. I think.

What if someone WANTS a split stay though and waitlist for one resort for the first 3 days and another resort for the 2nd 3 days of a vacation? Is that not allowed, either? What if the split is 2 days and 4 days? Or 1 day and 5 days? Where is the line, all are okay except the 1 day and 5 day option?

Last year, when I called MS to make my very first reservation at my home resort (VWL), I asked how I could best be sure to get my preferred rooms and dates. I wanted two studios: one for my parents (6 nights), and one for us (13 nights).

The CM said to call the first day I was able to make a reservation, get both of them started, and ask how availability was looking. She said to do day-by-day booking if I was told that availability was low.

I followed the CM's advice, and did have to do day-by-day booking, but I got the two VWL studios at 11 months without any waitlisting.

I wonder how it'll be under these new rules when we make our reservation for October next year. But more scary is how it'll be when we make VWL reservations for December 2010!

(And since we stay 13 nights, it looks like I'll have to do day-by-day anyway, at least for the last 6 nights.)

Glad I checked the boards today, have been calling all week at 9 am for OKW GV next May. Even this morning the CM at MS did not mention the new rules. Did they make the rule after 9:15 am or not inform all the CM's at MS? Saw the threads and called MS this afternoon for the rest of our stay. The whole sudden change left me wondering what would have happened if I would have waited til tomorrow morning to continue my day x day ressies to only be told a new rule had gone into effect and all the OKW GV's are now booked for the next 7 days?

I must respectfully disagree with you. Day-by-day booking 11mo out from check-out gave every member an equal opportunity to book any given day.

I never said that day-by-day bookings weren't a fairer system. It probably is.

What I said was that day-by-day bookings were never condoned (at least not in writing) by DVC. Here's what they say about our ability to make reservations:

"Take advantage of your Home Resort Priority Period and book your Home Resort up to 11 months in advance of your check-out date."

If you're booking a Sunday-Friday stay, Monday isn't your check-out date. Tuesday isn't your check-out date. Wednesday isn't your check-out date. Thursday isn't your check-out date.

Other than "because MS said I could" there's really no justification for allowing that member to book before Friday.

People who booked their trips according to the letter-of-the-law were always at a disadvantage compared to those who knew better. If you talked to someone who had no concept of day-by-day bookings, I'm sure they would accuse folks of abusing the system for doing so.

I've done the day-by-day thing myself so please don't think that I'm taking a holier-than-thou attitude. But if MS lets people "abuse the system" by booking days they really don't need (under the new system), I'm not sure that's any different than allowing people to "abuse the system" via day-by-day bookings. Neither practice is outlined in the program rules.

What happens to those of us whose vacation weeks are written in stone? My husband must request vacation weeks for the follwing year in November and receives confirmation the first week of December.

We like to go to WDW in December. In 2007 we made our reservation inside the 7 month mark and had to waitlist some of our days at the only resort with some availability, SSR. Please don't flame me, but it wasn't our favorite. So this year at 11 months out I called day by day for reservations at AKV concierge. Yes, it was a little nail biting, but like everyone else who has posted, the first call was the longest and the rest just a couple of minutes.

As I said, the December week we've chosen the year before is the week. No possibility to change our dates. Same with our other vacation weeks. So I'm guessing I'll never get AKV concierge again and our only choices at 7 months will be SSR or OKW. I'm starting to feel we bought in at the wrong time.

Glad I checked the boards today, have been calling all week at 9 am for OKW GV next May. Even this morning the CM at MS did not mention the new rules. Did they make the rule after 9:15 am or not inform all the CM's at MS? Saw the threads and called MS this afternoon for the rest of our stay. The whole sudden change left me wondering what would have happened if I would have waited til tomorrow morning to continue my day x day ressies to only be told a new rule had gone into effect and all the OKW GV's are now booked for the next 7 days?

And now that there IS a new rule, every time you call to make that GV reservation in the future there is the possibility that all the GVs will be gone to people who were able to book before you. None of us will ever have a level playing field again for getting the scarce rooms.

And now that there IS a new rule, every time you call to make that GV reservation in the future there is the possibility that all the GVs will be gone to people who were able to book before you. None of us will ever have a level playing field again for getting the scarce rooms.

So very true. One thing that bothered me this week while making my day x day ressies, Sunday went smooth got the GV and was told plenty were available, however when I called Monday at 9 am sharp to continue the ressie I was told that only 1 GV was left at OKW. I questioned the CM on how that could be possible since I am booking at 11 mos to the day at 9 am, you mean there are 20 some callers before me wanting a GV also. She replied " That does not seem to be correct does it?" Got the GV any way but the whole situation left me puzzled on why the sudden lack of GV at 11 mos.

So if you want, say a 9 or 10 night reservation, you call in at 11 months on the fist day, then again in the middle? Or you call once, just in the middle and hope the first couple of nights aren't gone? Boy, am I ever glad I own at OKW, where there is sally plenty of availability for my travel dates! I'd absolutely hate this new system for BWV, BCV, or VWL. Especially for December reservations.

Chuck, I agree. That is the first thing that though of. We are leaving in a couple weeks for an 11 night stay at AKV. I booked it last August at 9 the first day of the 11 month window. No problem getting a 1 br value. If we do this long a stay again, I guess I would have to call each day to extend the week? I like the new system and don't like it.

Side comment:

Preview of Caskbill's weekend....... :surfweb:

The new policy has been in effect all of, what, 6 hours? Why hasn't Bill posted an updated DVC Planner yet!!!:rotfl2:

I can't do DVC without my Caskbill DVC Planner . . . come on Bill!! Hurry UP;)

What I said was that day-by-day bookings were never condoned (at least not in writing) by DVC. Here's what they say about our ability to make reservations:

"Take advantage of your Home Resort Priority Period and book your Home Resort up to 11 months in advance of your check-out date."

If you're booking a Sunday-Friday stay, Monday isn't your check-out date. Tuesday isn't your check-out date. Wednesday isn't your check-out date. Thursday isn't your check-out date.

Other than "because MS said I could" there's really no justification for allowing that member to book before Friday.

People who booked their trips according to the letter-of-the-law were always at a disadvantage compared to those who knew better. If you talked to someone who had no concept of day-by-day bookings, I'm sure they would accuse folks of abusing the system for doing so.

I've done the day-by-day thing myself so please don't think that I'm taking a holier-than-thou attitude. But if MS lets people "abuse the system" by booking days they really don't need (under the new system), I'm not sure that's any different than allowing people to "abuse the system" via day-by-day bookings. Neither practice is outlined in the program rules.

I see what you're saying. To me day by day booking was like an "unenumerated right" just because it is not mentioned does not mean that it was a non-existing privilege. To me the letter of the law is breaking the speed limit say by 2 mph. You are violating a rule. Day-by-day was never specifically forbidden so I would not see it as a rule violation.

Wow, glad I came to the boards today. Just yesterday I called MS to find out what availability looked like for the 7 month window starting tomorrow for AKV SV 2 bedroom. The CM told me I'd better call day by day to change my ressie from OKW to AKV. Now it looks like I can call tomorrow for the WHOLE WEEK????? That's great for this time, but what about my normal trips of 11-12 nights???? Does that mean I can call and change 7 nights, but I have to keep the orignial ressie for the next 4-5? I can see this opening up a real can of worms. At least with everyone having exactly 11 or 7 months from check OUT day, it puts everyone on a level playing field. This new policy isn't terribly fair in my estimation.

Wow, glad I came to the boards today. Just yesterday I called MS to find out what availability looked like for the 7 month window starting tomorrow for AKV SV 2 bedroom. The CM told me I'd better call day by day to change my ressie from OKW to AKV. Now it looks like I can call tomorrow for the WHOLE WEEK????? That's great for this time, but what about my normal trips of 11-12 nights???? Does that mean I can call and change 7 nights, but I have to keep the orignial ressie for the next 4-5? I can see this opening up a real can of worms. At least with everyone having exactly 11 or 7 months from check OUT day, it puts everyone on a level playing field. This new policy isn't terribly fair in my estimation.

I agree - it wipes out the 11 month/7month windows more or less. I wanted to start booking a 1BR AKV concierge villa for August of 2009. I know how hard they are to get so I planned on the day-by-day booking. Now when I call 11 months prior to our check-in day someone arriving the day before (or 6 days before) may have booked them all already. For hard to get room categories this is really going to stink!:mad:

I agree - it wipes out the 11 month/7month windows more or less. I wanted to start booking a 1BR AKV concierge villa for August of 2009. I know how hard they are to get so I planned on the day-by-day booking. Now when I call 11 months prior to our check-in day someone arriving the day before (or 6 days before) may have booked them all already. For hard to get room categories this is really going to stink!:mad:

Exactly. I have a feeling our March Kilamanjaro Club stay is the last I'll be able to get of that catagory!:worried:

You can do a one night waitlist if that's the only night you are seeking.

What they have eliminated is the day-by-day waitlist. If you wanted Dec 2-6, in the past you could create 5 separate waitlist requests for each individual night. It's much easier to get one night off of the waitlist than 5 consecutive, so the odds of success are probably much higher this way.

Now if you wanted Dec 2-6, you need to waitlist for the entire period. It's all or nothing.

I guess my question is what happens if you call in at the check-in date and the nights of the 2nd and 3rd are avail, the 4th and 5th are not, but the 6th is. Does that mean you can't book any of those days because it is all or nothing so you don't get to have any reservation at all? Or can you book the days avail and just waitlist for the 4th and 5th together?

I too was trying to figure out my 12 night stay. So I call 7 days prior to the 7 month checkout date and book for the 7 nights, so I still have to call in for the next 5 days to add a night each day until I get to my 12 nights??

I wrote MS about this change this morning expressing my concerns and asking what prompted this change. The following is the response.

Dear Rebecca,

Thank you for contacting Member Services.

The Booking Window change is correct. It will now be 7 or 11 months in
advance of your check in date.

The change came about to enhance our Members Satisfaction with the
reservation process. We have received tremendous feedback about having
to wait until 7 or 11 months from the check out date to request a
reservation. Members that have attempted to make a reservation night by
night have found this workaround inconvenient and time-consuming.

Member Services just found out about this change this morning and it
went to effect this morning. We are advising Members, who are
confirming at the 7 or 11 month window, of this change and there will be
an article in the Fall Edition of the Disney Files Magazine about these
changes.

We appreciate your comments and concerns about this change. I have
forwarded a copy of your email to your Leadership Team.

I see what your saying to me day by day booking was like an "unenumerated right" just because it is not mentioned does not mean that it was a non-existing privilege. To me the letter of the law is breaking the speed limit say by 2 mph. You are violating a rule. Day-by-day was never specifically forbidden so I would not see it as a rule violation.

I agree that day-by-day was clearly within the rules of DVC because there was no minimum stay requirement. DVC could have made you check back in each night for a day-by-day booked reservation, but the member would have then been entitled to a cleaned room. The only thing outside the letter of the rules was the compromise position that DVC would link your mutliple reserverations so you didn't have to check back in each day, but that in exchange, you would not get a clean room for each reservation. -- Suzanne

DVC has , at least tacitly, condoned day-by-day reservations since the beginning and could have easily ended the practice just be refusing to link individual reservations - thus forcing day-by-day callers to make a separate reservation for each day of their stay and then force them to check-out and check-in each day. The advantage for DVC to tacitly condone day-by-day reservations is to streamline the process, minimize mailing costs for daily confirmation letters, minimize the housekeeping requirements of individual reservations and to add convenience for members. If there was truly any concern about day-by-day reservations, the practice could have been ended very quickly just by refusing to allow the practice. Instead, by tacilty condoning the practice as well as actively promoting it they do not need to have it in writing. Even with today's changes, there is no indication that day-by-day reservations are a problem at all for MS - otherwise they would not have put a 7 day limit on reservations. Those wanting stays longer than 7 days are right back at square one with needing to make additional calls to complete their desired reservation. While reservations more than 7 days may be in the minority, they certainly exist and those members are still inconvenienced with the need to make multiple calls to secure their dates.

I expect that far more members will be harmed and inconvenienced by those using (and abusing) the new system than were ever harmed by any "abuse" of day-by-day calling - promoted by DVC for the past 16+ years. Whether it is specificaly in writing, day-by-day certainly is allowed by the original reservation rules - and DVC itself has condoned the practice both by recommending it to members and doing nothing to discourage the practice.

Stay Tuned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter