New Power Chair

scroot

Mouseketeer
DW was just gifted a new power chair. It had been owned by a recently deceased friend who bought it new and used it for less than a month. The family decided that we should have it. We are overjoyed as we usualy use a manual with me as the pusher. DW is looking forward to the added independence.

Now, we are trying to decide how to move it around. Do any of you have experience with those rear mount car carriers? That is probably the way we will go unless they are really a problem. Look forward to any advice you might have.

Thanks.

Congratulations. I'm sure your DW will really appreciate and enjoy her new independence!
:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

A litle more clarification would be helpful about rear carriers though. Are you talking about the kind that lift up the wheelchair and then hold it on the back of your vehicle?

My experience is with a side entry ramp van, but I'm sure you will get some info that will be helpful.

My advice is be very careful. Some of them require a Class 2 trailer hitch and some require a Class 3 hitch. I had been doing some research while a two-ECV family. The Bruno Outsider with the "swing-away" option, which would allow full access to the trunk, required a Class 3. My current car cannot handle a Class 3 hitch and I am trying to find what sedans can allow one.

If the car cannot handle the hitch you stand a good chance to both void the varrenty and damage the frame; I have seen this happen.

The thing is my ECV weights about 150 pounds, the Outsider weighs 109, and the swing-away option adds about another 90. This means that there is a weight of about 350 pounds outside of the bumper. Note that most trailers have almost all of their weight on their wheels and very little weight on the hitch.

If you car can handle a Class 2 you can get a small trailer where the back flips down to be a ramp. However, this could be a parking problem.

Congratulations...what a nice gift.

Perhaps you should start by calling or emailing the manufacturer of the chair to find out specifications. Power chairs weigh much more than ECVs I think so an outside mount may not work. We have a electric hoist type lift for our DDs power chair because we already had a suburban when we bought the chair and couldn't do a ramp. After it lifts the chair, we swing it into the back of the suburban.

But check and doublecheck. We had been assured by our dealer that her Jazzy would fit in the rear doors....well, no it didn't. Too tall. They modified her chair so that the seatback removes for stowing in the car but it is a royal pain. In my opinion, we should have just returned the chair and explored other options but the vote was 2-1 for keeping it and I lost! Sorry to whine but be extra careful when ordering.

Cheshire Figment said:
The thing is my ECV weights about 150 pounds, the Outsider weighs 109, and the swing-away option adds about another 90. This means that there is a weight of about 350 pounds outside of the bumper. Note that most trailers have almost all of their weight on their wheels and very little weight on the hitch.
Another thing I didn't think about until I saw what Cheshire Figment wrote was the weight of the wheelchair. ECVs are normally a lot lighter than power wheelchairs.
According to the owner's manual of my DD's power wheelchair (Invacare Arrow), it weights around 250 pounds not including the weight of the footrests, seating system and batteries. We joke that her wheelchair weighs as much as 5 of her.
If you don't have the owner's manual, you should be able to get some information on the manufacturer's website.

Looks like BCV23 and I were typing at the same time.

I have one of these for my ECV. We had no problems with it at all. It was mounted on our Expedition. It did require a class 2 hitch. It is very conveient. I no longer have use for it now since I have an accessible van that I just pull my power chair in. In fact I am trying to sell it. If your interested send me a PM. I only used it for 6 months.

Thanks for the help. It is very heavy. It has a "free wheel" mode so I engaged it and tried to push it. I could barely budge the thing. I would guess 250-300 lb would be about right. We do have the owners manual so I will look into that. Thanks for all of the good advice so far.

I searched and searched on the internet and finally ended up going to a local place that did welding. He used my ECV's measurements and weight and literally built what I needed. It fits in a Reese hitch and has a nice fold up ramp that so light weight that I can load it totally by myself, yet sturdy enough to roll onto. I use tie downs and then for long trips a cover with bungee cords. I just thought I might throw this out as you could have one made sometimes much cheaper and easier than ordering something. The welder charged me $350.00 and we paid another $127 to buy and have the hitch installed. Hope this helps.
Lisa
Tiger Fan

Sorry it takes me so long to get back. Busy, busy, busy. The chair is a invacare m71 pronto. It weighs in at 200 lbs and has a top speed of 3mph. We got it home on Thursday and have been enjoying buzzing around the neighborhood. We are still looking at vehicle options. There are a lot and none seem "just right" for our needs.

I looked that wheelchair up and I think it is one of the Invacare models that can be disassembled for transport, like an ecv. That may not be something that you want to do everytime you go anywhere, but it would give you a few more options for transportation (at least until you decide what to do as a permanent transport solution).

Hi.. I have a powerchair.. Bruno and the bugger is heavy! But I love it, it brought Independence back into my life.

I have a van, a Chrysler Town and Country. I had a VMI lift installed in the rear. To put the powerchair inside the van with the lift it requires removing the third row of seats. The electric lift can be operated either by pressing the buttons on the lift or by the remote control on the keyfob. The VMI lift is permanently bolted into the back of the van. It takes up little room as the third row of seats can be in place IF my powerchair is not in the van.
I paid approx $4000 for purchase and installation of this lift.

Below is a link for Bruno products... they have a top line of lifts
http://www.bruno.com/extranet/endeavor/pid/26

Having the lift is worth the cost..

Thought I would check in and tell you where we are with our new power chair.

We have been enjoying the new chair. DW and I held hands while out and about for the first time in years (hard to hold and push as the same time!) We've been walking on the hard dirt paths through the desert near our home for a few weeks now. Because we have had near record rain fall in Southern AZ the wild flowers are amazing. We also see rabbits and quail pretty much every day.

We have decided to get a new vehicle and are in the selection and negotiation process. I know a car dealer who is a member of the church I serve so we don't have to deal with salespeople who don't listen to what we need.

We will most likely get a small truck or suv with a rear chair carrier.

Thank you for all of your advice is has been helpful.

The desert flowers are amazing this year... way cool!

glad you are enjoying your wifes new powerchair!

If you are looking at new vehicles remember to ask for the disability discount that they offer. Chrysler will give you $1000 toward any equipment needed to make the vehicle accessible. That includes lifts, steering etc.

We purchased the van, Chrysler gives you a certificate at signing. Then we had the w/c lift and the hand controls installed. We attached a copy of the final paid reciept to the forms and sent it to Chrysler. They sent us a $1000 check within a month. YAY!!

So please check with all the dealers.

and I have to tell you... I totally agree with the ability to hold hands... life is good! :love:

We brought home a chevy equinox last night. GM also has the $1,000 mobility rebate. This is going to cover about 40% of our swingaway lift. Chevy has a new electric assisted steering standard on a few vehicles. It is amazing. So easy we don't believe we will need a servo assist now. The other cool thing gm is offering is free On Star coverage for 3 years for those who qualify for the mobility assitance program. It is nice to know that DW will have assitance at the push of a button. Thanks again for your help.

WAY COOL!!!!!

That is really awesome! Makes me want to go car shopping... hmmmmmm...

Congratulations!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter