New ride Soarin :

terri01p

DIS Veteran
Was just wondering if anyone knew if Soarin , that new show/ ride ,whenever it opens would have a wheelchair section available ? Thanks

I was on it once at DCA in 2001. Normally you will have to transfer. The seats are lifted from the floor and move like a hang glider. There is a giant screen in front of you which tends to fill your vision. There are no fast motions, but it will turn and bank and raise and lower. There might be a wheelchair area where you can see the movie without transferring and with no motion. I intend to go to the AP Preview in md-April.

*If* WDWs is like DCAs there is no wheelchair part to just watch the movie as all the space is utilized for the gliders and how they move.

The gliders are 9 long bench seats with seatbelts and armrests that are fairly roomy so most wheelchair people could transfer fairly easily.

The ride itself is pretty tame but the gliders do move so there is the whole "scared of heights and flying" to be warned of.

-em

According to the Disneyland site, Soaring at DL is a "transfer required" ride, so there is not a wheelchair accessible area in California.

I guess we'll have to wait to see if they figure out a way to get wheelchair onto it in WDW. My guess is that they won't and that the WDW version will be "transfer required" too.

If you can transfer, Soarin' is set up nicely so it is easier to transfer than any other moving attraction I can think of. When you enter the attraction, you are in a very big room with three rows of seats. There is tons of room between the rows of seats so it is very easy to move around when arriving, transferring, and departing. I was always placed at the end of a row (I have an ECV). The seats are at normal seat height and are about the width of a regular movie theater seat. I thought they were comfortable and roomy, and I am not what one would call svelte. You can drive right up to your seat and park your wc/ECV next to your seat. Sorry, but I didn't notice whether any of the end seats had a moveable arm for ease in sliding over.

There is a pouch under each seat to hold purses, bags, etc. For a solo wc guest transferring, I would be concerned about the ability to access the pouch since it is underneath. I put my purse into the pouch while standing up and leaning against my seat for balance.

Re the lack of a non-transfer option, from what I can tell, guests need to be raised up in order to see the movie. Thus, even if there was a space for guests to park w/o transferring to a chair (there wasn't in DCA), I don't think you would be able to see the movie from the ground. In addition, the seats all gently swoop around. So the question is why is there no "wc car" type seat where you can drive a wc in and strap it down. I can't answer that, except to say that I can't think of an attraction with a wc car where the wc car moves around as in this attraction (maybe there isn't one, but it isn't coming to mind). Maybe this was a problem in creating access from guests who cannot transfer?

Overall, I thought it was very well done for transfers due to the overall roominess, ability to drive right up, park, and transfer, and the fact that there is plenty of time to get settled. It's like a theater attraction, but better bc there is so much room between rows.

This is a very cool ride, and I am excited that it's coming to Epcot!

Oh, on a scariness level, guests gently swoop around. It is not a wild attraction by any means. It does, however, appear like you are floating far above the ground. Thus, I would be concerned about riding if you don't care for heights.

:wave: Cupcake

I am mobile but have a lot of anxiety issues. It sure would be nice if there was a way to stay stationary on the floor and just "watch the film". When I went to Soarin over California the first time I had to buckle in my neice and nephew and exit through the "chicken exit".

On my second vist, it was very quiet and I had time to talk with the ride cast member. She convinced me to sit in the back row on the end, which was the lowest when the ride went into position, and if I got scared or disoriented I could just look at the side wall, which did not move, or close my eyes.

It wasn't even an issue. I did get a little dizzy but the ride was beautiful. I went on it 3 times. The last time in the center of the front (top) level. If you have any trouble putting belongings in the net underneath, just ask the cast member or your "neighbor" for assistance. If your can make the transfer from your wheelchair, don't miss this ride. :earsboy:

Does anyone know what the restraint system is in Soaring? I read seat-belt, but is there a 5-pt restraint system option? My adult son sits well with feet on the ground, but he's wondering about sliding in the seat. Thanks

zaksmom said:
Does anyone know what the restraint system is in Soaring? I read seat-belt, but is there a 5-pt restraint system option? My adult son sits well with feet on the ground, but he's wondering about sliding in the seat. Thanks
I'm hoping there is since I don't think my DD could do it with just the seat belt (or, at least I would not be all that comfortable with her off the ground without a 5 point option).
I have not heard anything yet, but hope they will have the same type of 5 point belt that Star Tours has (fairly easily added). The one thing I do know about the 5 point option is that you usually have to ask for it - most CMs don't think to offer it.

I dont know about a 5 point restraint but Soarin over CA has a loop piece that you put the belt through on smaller kids (they have a mark on the side of the car that its mandatory under that line to use the loop) that goes between the legs then buckles normally. (so they can't slide out under the belt) Its on all the seats

-em

Disneyland_emily said:
I dont know about a 5 point restraint but Soarin over CA has a loop piece that you put the belt through on smaller kids (they have a mark on the side of the car that its mandatory under that line to use the loop) that goes between the legs then buckles normally. (so they can't slide out under the belt) Its on all the seats

-em

Yes, this is what I've read that it will have. Since I've never been on it, I have no idea if it would work for an adult or if it's situated that it'll only fit a child. Anyone know for sure?

LovePug said:
Yes, this is what I've read that it will have. Since I've never been on it, I have no idea if it would work for an adult or if it's situated that it'll only fit a child. Anyone know for sure?
I expect we'll have to wait until some people actually ride it at WDW (it's not open yet). It's possible that the seats there might have some slight changes compared to the DL ones.

I do know the strap thing fits most people (I used it once outta curiousity and it was fine size wise- I'm 5 1)

It'll be interesting to see how Soarin will differ than its original and whether they made it better :)

-em

Thanks for the responses. We'll be down there in May and will let you know what we find out. Thanks

I am severely limited physically. I cannot sit up without being held up out of my wheelchair. I have severe contractures and balance issues. I use an electric wheelchair full-time as well as 24 hour GJ tube feeds and a trach. My mom will not allow me to transfer to hardly any rides and she has to preview them first. I was thrilled when she said I could ride this one! In fact, I found Haunted Mansion more difficult to ride!

I pulled my wheelchair right up to the aisle. My Dad carried me to the second seat. He sat on my left and my Grandma sat on my right. The seat belt has a strap that goes between your legs (meant for smaller children) to keep you from sliding out. During the ride, my Dad had his arm behind my back and a hold of my left arm while my Grandma held my right arm. On the swoops and turns these stabilized me. The most difficult part was the steep incline (Dad's arm held me up) and downward angles (seatbelt and arm holds). If you are as limited as me, I would not go without assistance. But with proper support you can enjoy the ride. The seat has a fairly high back so if you are thrown backwardrs you won't fall out. The seatbelt is snug and the strap between the legs will help secure you on the downward angles. Even though my feet were hanging, the seat didn't dig into the back of my legs. There are arm rests. I don't know if they flip up. The fairly high height of the seats could potentially make transfering difficult. All the movements are smooth. My only difficulty was that the snugness of the seatbelt left me out of breath. (And I am scared to death of edges). This ride made my whole vacation!

I loved it!

Christamae

I have a question for eternaldisneyfan. Have you ridden some of the rollercoasters at Disney with similar family support? Have you found any rides at Disney that was NOT accessible to you?

Thanks for your description of Soarin'. I think we will all have a lot to learn from your experience.

eternaldisneyfan said:
This ride made my whole vacation!

I loved it!

Christamae
Thanks for your complete description.
My DD has more stability than you, so I'm sure she will be able to ride it from your description.
Of the more wild rides, she has been on Goofy's Barnstormer (loved that), Tower of Terror (she loved that, but I was scared she might fall out - they have since added different seat belts), Star Tours & Body Wars (kind of "bumpy", but she likes them), Test Track (one of her favorites) and Primevil Whirl (which she had a hard time with).

thanks for the wonderful description! I think we'll try it Soaring!

The transfer rides are getting more difficult as DS gets older, but it is mostly because of the shape of the car opening or step-down aspect of entry.

He has done: Barnstormer with support, although now we probably couldn't get him into the car. Dinosaur! with an arm around his back and holding him toward me to support his neck. The hardest part was getting on and off. There is a special platform if I remember correctly that helps. Star Tours and Body Wars were an easy transfer because we can bring the chair right up to the seat. Those are the only fast rides I think. The AK Safari allows you to stay in your chair, but it is rough and I provide some support by stabilizing the chair so it doesn't rock on the rough parts. Haven't tried Kali River. looks like you have to step down to get to the seat. Don't want to stand in line to find we can't do it.

Haunted Mansion and Space Ship Earth stop for loading, but the transfer is quite difficult for us. Pirates of the Carribean and The Malstrom have recently dropped off our list of possible rides. But to make up for it Jungle River Cruise has just re-entered the line-up!

Have fun.

zaksmom said:
Dinosaur! with an arm around his back and holding him toward me to support his neck. The hardest part was getting on and off. There is a special platform if I remember correctly that helps.
There isn't a special platform that I can think of, but you do load at the exit and can pull a wheelchair fairly close to the car for loading and then pull it away after you are in.
Haven't tried Kali River. looks like you have to step down to get to the seat. Don't want to stand in line to find we can't do it.
I forgot, DD has been on Kali River Rapids. It is not an easy transfer, there is a step down and the "door" to get into the inner tube boat is sort of narrow. They do have a separate platform/dock where they load the special needs boats. They actually "trap" the boat so it can't move while you are boarding. Once you are on, the boat is "untrapped" and allowed to frreely float in the ride with the other boats. After the ride, you continue past the regular unload point to the "trap/dock" where the boat is again trapped to stablize it while you get off.

My disease is progressive so when I was younger and had more muscle control I rode the wilder rides. But our last trip to Disney World I didn't transfer at all.

I have orthopedic problems and chronic pain so a lot of the ride seats would be painful. I can only be lifted one way. My Dad has to help lift my arm over his shoulder and make sure the trach clears. So it is usually really difficult to get off rides. Dad doesn't have room to stand in front of me and bend down so I'll get hurt going off. Also I have a lot of breathing problems so I can't have any pressure on my chest. I have a very particular balance point- a little off and I am falling over. I also have to bring my suction machine for my trach (I've had it since March '03). Every jerk hurts and gives me whiplash (my neck is contracted back and I can't hold it up).

My mom will not allow me to ride rough thrill rides. She has a milder form of Muscular Dystrophy and can walk short distances and has much better trunk control. She has to approve rides. The simulators are out (I couldn't breathe in the harness-can't hold up my neck), Dinosaur would slaughter my back. Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, Spaceship Earth, etc.-too hard to transfer. Trachs and water rides don't mix. In fact, the last time I went to Disney World I didn't transfer for any rides. I only rode the wheelchair accessible rides-which actually have quite a few. Epcot has the most wheelchair friendly attractions while Magic Kingdom has the least.

I transfered to 3 rides on our trip to Disneyland. In fact, on our trip to Disneyland Soarin' was the only transfer I didn't get hurt. There is a lot of room so Dad could stand directly in front of the seat and bend down. The seat was a little higher then a chair so a good height. The individual seats meant that I wasn't getting squished. The smooth movements didn't hurt my back. It was my first thrill ride in a while! I am trying to convince mom that ToT is okay but she is afraid the sudden drop would leave me out of breath.

Wade Shrader-When I was younger and stronger, the first 2 times we went -12 and 10 yrs ago-I rode Splash Mountain, Maelstrom, Pirates of the Carribean, Peter Pan's Flight, Haunted Mansion, Horizons, and Jungle Cruise plus the wheelchair accessible rides. Our last trip to Disney World, summer 2002, I only rode rides that you could drive your chair on.

I spent a lot of time researching. But when I got to Disney I found that some of the "wheelchair accessible" rides did NOT fit all size wheelchairs. Scooters will not fit on any of the rides except for Ellen's Energy Adventure.
The Great Movie Ride at MGM is not long enough to allow electric wheelchairs to turn around so I rode the ride seeing only one side. Manual wheelchairs will fit.
I couldn't get on Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin at Magic Kingdom either. The platform is only long enough for manual chairs. Plus, the shooter would be hard to reach.
Kilimanjaro Safaris IS accessible but you have to back in.
Backing in is usually better (except in Ellen's Energy Adventure, Winnie the Pooh, and Journey Into Your Imagination with Figment)
*I didn't ride Aladdin's Flying Carpet so unsure)

There are a lot of rides that you can drive your wheelchair right on.

zaksmom-The Jungle Cruise was recently made wheelchair accessible

I love Disney's shows-3D, Lion King, Little Mermaid, Cranium Command, etc.-and the night shows.

Going to Disney again right now looks impossible. We live in CA and can't fly or go over 4000 feet. Lots of equipment, 3 wheelchairs (my sister is like me minus the trach and feeding tube) and no money. We travel very slowly and take a lot of time to unpack all the nighttime breathing equipment and other medical stuff. I think for a off-site hotel it would cost us like $10,000 b/c of distance and travel complications. So I relish my memories and love to help others enjoy the magic (and read trip reports :) ).

I have experienced Disney at different ages and physical abilities, as well as a wish kid. If anyone has any specific questions I would be glad to help!

Go ride Soarin'!

Christamae

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter