New ride Soarin :

This has been such an informative thread, thanks to all. I think we will try this ride on our June trip.
Lisa
Tiger Fan

:banana: Christamae, thankyou for your excellent info, especially regarding Soarin. I hope my DS will be able to ride this on our next WDW trip, I hadn't considered it a possibility before I read this thread and like you, it would make his whole vacation. Thanks everyone for your info.

eternaldisneyfan
The Great Movie Ride at MGM is not long enough to allow electric wheelchairs to turn around so I rode the ride seeing only one side. Manual wheelchairs will fit.
It depends on the power wheelchair. Mine will turn around and I can ride forward

I couldn't get on Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin at Magic Kingdom either. The platform is only long enough for manual chairs. Plus, the shooter would be hard to reach.
Here again it depends on your Power wheelchair. Shooter is hard to reach.
Kilimanjaro Safaris IS accessible but you have to back in.
Again depends on your wheelchair. I do not need to back and it is not reccommended of r my power wheelchair. My rotating wheel are in the back and the anti-tip in front. Power wheels are the center wheels and directly under the center of gravity on it. It is actually easier and safer for me to get on forward and past the actual tiedown area and turn into the tie down

Christamae- thanks for your description. I am similarly limited plus a vent that "could" go on my lap. I am adult height however.....do you recall if there was ever an issue of "falling forward"? I am more concerned about head/trunk control forward than backward ( with the seat supporting someone in the back). I would definitely have someone to be on both sides of me like you did- I'm so glad you were able to give it a try and enjoyed the attraction so much!---Kathy

Several times the ride swoops and inclines forward. The strap between my legs and the arm hold on both arms held me in. I would be more concerned with the vent falling since the chairs are raised several feet in the air...perhaps you could put the vent behind your back? And an arm held all the way across your chest might also offer additional support. Hope this helps...good luck!

Christamae

Hmmmm....my vent is huge and heavy ( LP-10) however a caregiver could probably hold it on their lap- the hoses would stretch. It would be a major "ordeal" to try this attraction, but I'm always "up" for adventure. :-)

We will be flying from LAX to FL after the Disney cruise in May and a stay at Disneyland. It will be my first time flying with all this equipment and I'm not looking forward to it at all. I will have my service dog and daughter with me and I already feel sorry for putting them through the ordeal- hopefully the fun we'll have on the vacation itself will make up for the stress of flying.

Kathy

I am very familiar with the LP10 because I used to use it via a nasal mask-it is a pain to lug around. I think you would like the Newport HT50 much better...would your insurance approve this? It has up to a 10 hour battery (I personally did a battery test while I was on it and stopped at 7 hrs with about 10% power left), It delivers volumes beautifully. It compensates for back pressure, breathes slightly bigger/maintains volumes when I cough, and breathes past mucus while alarming to let my parents know I need suctioned, Emits no heat and is very quiet, Internal peep, Portabilty- small light weight (about 10inx10in and 10lbs), Durability- This thing does not fail. It will take a beating and keep running-literally. It has been dropped from 10 ft and kept running. Mine fell of the back of my chair and kept running-not even missing a breath, Very simple to run and user friendly.

I have a trach. I use my vent at night and about 1-2 hours in the day when I get too tired to breath. I use it almost all the time when I am sick. When I came home from my 6 1/2 month hospital stay I was completely vent dependent which is why I got such a portable ventilator.

I would make a lot of preparations (sp?) for the flight like a back up battery for the LP10 since it has little battery life, an ambu bag, suction machine-and you'll have to notify the airline or they won't let you take on so many carry ons...

Flying with a wheelchair is quite precarious. They detach all the wires and pack the batteries seperate. They have to turn the chair on it's side to get it through the cargo hold. When we got ours back, my mom's footplate was broke and my control was bent. Those who do fly (I never will again) suggest removing the footplates and control and taking them with you...

Have you thought of Amtrak instead? There is a 3 day trip from LA to Orlando and disabled get a reduced ticket price...

Good luck with your vacation! Check out the Newport HT50. And let me know how your trip goes, please!

Christamae

P.S. This is a great support group for those with trachs and vents: www.tracheostomy.com

WOW ! Thank you so much Christamae. Great help on this thread
I am a C-5 Quad from a recent accident. I am in a power chair. I am a big guy @ 6'2" & 200 lbs. My tiny wife can't transfer me very easily. I'm going to WDW for the first time since my injury May 1-8 to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. I was wondering about my chair. It is a large power chair. I assume on many of the rides I'll have to take off my leg rests & let my feet just hang down. Do the CM's strap my chair down on the rides? Also, is it true that if the rides says you have to transfer to a wheelchair, it's because the ECV's are too big, & I'll be able to stay in my chair? Thanks everyone for your posts to this very helpful thread.

{p.s.} My wife and I are driving from Massachusetts to WDW because of the horror stories I've heard about flying, especially with a power chair!

Jimmy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter