New runner help!

mrocco90

Mouseketeer
Hi, I'm new to running and signed up for the jingle jungle 5k. I started trying to run this past week and with in 5 mins I get a terrible side cramp. It hurts so much I struggle to walk. I make sure to run on a empty stomach. Any suggestions on how to avoid this would be greatly appreciated !! thanks!

Hi, I'm new to running and signed up for the jingle jungle 5k. I started trying to run this past week and with in 5 mins I get a terrible side cramp. It hurts so much I struggle to walk. I make sure to run on a empty stomach. Any suggestions on how to avoid this would be greatly appreciated !! thanks!

Have you ever run before? The cramp is probably from lack of training and building up to the 5K and not your stomach contents. You should have eaten at normal times before your 5K to make sure you have enough fuel through out your run.

No I've never been a runner. I try walking first and then jogging but as soon as I start the cramp comes.

No I've never been a runner. I try walking first and then jogging but as soon as I start the cramp comes.

Yep the cramps are from trying too much too fast. When you say you signed up for the 5K is it the one in November or are you hoping on doing the one next year?

Your first few "runs" you need to walk at a slow pace and just go for total time not distance or speed. First try 15 minutes. Then the next time try 20 and 30 and so on. After 2 weeks of that then try to speed it up a little and go a little further each time.

Have you tried something like couch to 5K?

Yeah the 5k is this November. Thanks for the advice I'll try walking the next couple times. I haven't tried couch to 5k but I'm going to look it up now. Thanks!

I'm no physiologist but my guess is the cramps are just a symptom of physical conditioning and should go away.

But one other thing comes to mind from my own experience...and this is going to sound silly but I'm completely serious -are you remembering to breathe?

The reason that I ask is I used to do this in baseball and it's not unheard of in most sports. You're so focused on running that you're breathing stops, comes only in gulps, or just plain isn't regular. You could start to hyperventilate or get side cramps.

As a new runner, try to focus on breathing as regularly and in-rhythm as your pacing i.e., two steps then inhale, two steps then exhale, etc.

Good luck!
Stay with it!

Yeah the 5k is this November. Thanks for the advice I'll try walking the next couple times. I haven't tried couch to 5k but I'm going to look it up now. Thanks!
This (couch to 5k) is the answer. The cramps are from your breathing. You need to breathe slowly and deeply. If your breathing becomes too shallow or fast, you get side cramps.

It could be a lot of things, but mostly, and pretty much what everyone before has said is training.

So first and foremost I don't know 100% what you mean by an empty stomach. I hope you ate at least hour and a half to two hours before running? Your body does need fuel to get you going. I usually eat an hour/hour and a half before hand. Foods high in potassium are a good bet. Potassium and magnesium will help with cramping. That doesn't necessarily mean if you eat a single banana for the first time an hour before you run it will directly help, more so those kinda foods (dark leafy greens, beets etc) should be added to your diet regularly. I know those aren't fun foods, but add them to your smoothie and its an easy, fast way to get the nutrients you need to fuel your body. When you run your using more resources then ever before.

Also, water, water, water! Dehydration can be a major cause of cramping! And as a runner you need to consume even more water then before. There are a lot of great apps for your phone that will not only tell you how much water to drink (calcs your weight, height, weather conditions, exercise output etc) and it will also have the option to remind you to drink water! (Water Your Body app). Also you can add a 'pinch!' of salt to your water to help provide electrolytes and help absorb the water (you shouldn't be able to taste the salt though, that's too much!). But also there are great electrolyte drink recipes on the internet that are way better then Gatorade!

I'm also kinda new to running (been a year since PHM got me into it) and I now coach Field Hockey and a good go-to trick for cramping while your running is breathing in through your nose and breathing out through your mouth! It was a tip from a Navy Seal! Just slow your pace down a bit try that breathing trick and its starts working in a minute! Works for me and my girls (who just whined about doing a long jog and resorted to that breathing style).

But also like everyone said above, try a good couch to 5k training program. Or just slowly increase each day as long as your body allows! You'll get there! 5k ftw!!! :yay:

You can also try the Galloway run/walk/run method, especially since your 5K is coming up quickly. Just google Jeff Galloway.

I use the beginner 5k training on run keeper. I also eat spots beans or gatorade chews 30 minute prior to running. I use the Galloway method of running where certain intervals are walking. Jingle Jungle is my first 5k as well.

I use the beginner 5k training on run keeper. I also eat spots beans or gatorade chews 30 minute prior to running. I use the Galloway method of running where certain intervals are walking. Jingle Jungle is my first 5k as well.

Oooh! Yes, tots forgot about those. I love sports beans! But yellow is the only color I like. Avoid the red! Ha ha ha! But I recommend you don't try any gu's, gels, sport beans etc at a race for the first time!
:mickeybar

Another vote for Galloway plans here too. I tried the couch to 5k, but for me it was a too aggressive plan, Galloway felt better to me, but still pushed me.
I was not in terribly good condition when I started, not horribly overweight, but some. Just very out of condition, I didn't feel strong.
I had bought a new motorcycle that was bigger than my older one, I felt I needed to get in better shape to better physically handle my time on the bike. That and my daughter just happened to be at Disney for the princess half 2013, we were so inspired by the runners we met, that we returned the next year as participants. I started slowly, it seemed like I would never get to the place of running any kind of distance... That has changed! I see myself differently now, I run differently now. But it only happened one step at a time... Corny but true!
Look at a few plans, keep reading these running blogs. The people on DISboards, have guided supported and entertained me in many areas of my Disney experiences, most recently with my running.
Welcome to the world of running...
Once you hit that first goal, if you're like many of us, you'll keep reaching for more!

Keep us posted on your progress!

My side cramps always come from shallow breathing. I have worked really hard on the "in through the nose, out through the mouth" breathing (pilates works the same way!). I breathe in deep through the nose, hold it for a second and then breathe out hard. Also, I put my hands over my head and bend to the side that is hurting. It helps to release that cramp.

I didn't like couch to 5k. I tried it several times and gave up around week five. It starts off great but then suddenly jumps from running a few minute to running around 10 minutes! I started doing my own thing and just added a quarter mile each week. Sometimes I just added minutes instead of distance. That worked really well to get me up to three miles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter