New Survey after Selling Points

I guess I’m wondering,

Cruise lines are celebrating record bookings for 2024-25
Hilton and Marriott are reporting record vacation travel bookings

and yet

Disney is having trouble filling rooms
DVC resale prices are falling

And I wonder if this is just another way to try to gauge dissatisfaction and disconnect. Idk. They SHOULD always be asking people why they sold quite frankly.
I believe DVC resale prices are falling because a major portion of the people who purchase resale are looking for a good value. However, the room portion of the vacation is only one part of the expense. Disney keeps raising ticket prices at a higher rate than inflation, makes changes to the DDP that decrease its value and then starts nickel and diming you to death with added costs ( genie + & LL) that were all including in the ticket price. What is next? The more rules and changes DVD makes to its timeshare program the more DVC will begin to act like a traditional timeshare in the way of pricing and that is to say it will go down in price each year respective to how many years are left on the contract. Going forward , we have seen the end of you being able to sell your contract for more that paid for it for future purchases.

Magic Kingdom dining options are not so hot….
I need to disagree here. Last weekend I had a good meal at Tony’s. Yes Tony’s Town Square Restaurant! Well, the entree, chicken parm was just ok but the garlic bread and house salad were out of this world delicious. Plus I got a Limoncello Sidecar that was amazing!
We also really enjoy Jungle Navigation Co. Skipper Canteen (just not the long name😀).

I believe DVC resale prices are falling because a major portion of the people who purchase resale are looking for a good value. However, the room portion of the vacation is only one part of the expense. Disney keeps raising ticket prices at a higher rate than inflation, makes changes to the DDP that decrease its value and then starts nickel and diming you to death with added costs ( genie + & LL) that were all including in the ticket price. What is next? The more rules and changes DVD makes to its timeshare program the more DVC will begin to act like a traditional timeshare in the way of pricing and that is to say it will go down in price each year respective to how many years are left on the contract. Going forward , we have seen the end of you being able to sell your contract for more that paid for it for future purchases.
Are you talking about what you paid for it adjusted for inflation or just in nominal dollars?

I’m going to go the other direction and guess that Disney spends billions to add park capacity and that will pair with inflation to allow prices to hold up just fine depending on where we are in the business cycle.

I also hypothesize that Hawaii hotel pricing marches ever higher and that demand from Asia and a growing West Coast DVC contingent that learns about the product from VDH and DLand FWD support Aulani resale values.

Are you talking about what you paid for it adjusted for inflation or just in nominal dollars?

I’m going to go the other direction and guess that Disney spends billions to add park capacity and that will pair with inflation to allow prices to hold up just fine depending on where we are in the business cycle.

I also hypothesize that Hawaii hotel pricing marches ever higher and that demand from Asia and a growing West Coast DVC contingent that learns about the product from VDH and DLand FWD support Aulani resale values.
I am with @Bearval that a lot of “value DVC members” who participate in the resale market are potentially getting priced out (or losing interest) in DVC vacations (you see comments to that effect all over these boards and other blogs)— but also now the prices are getting low enough that other DVC cohorts (need two bedrooms, always stay at BCV over Christmas, like cabins/GV, etc.) are picking up points, so we might keep seeing bigger gaps between the various DVC properties—ESPECIALLY if they modify the product to make SAP even harder to use, and it could further depress resale values as the BCV/BWW/HHI/VB/BRV all stop being options around 2041. I do think if Disney actually builds news parks/lands it will boost DVC resale for a while.

I think Hawaii is its own animal and I’m currently looking at hotels for this December and it is crazy. There are a lot of AUL points lingering in the low 100s, but they already appear to have stabilized in that range for several months now and I do think we could see them ticking up if dues don’t climb too much.

DVC is in theory an economic way to visit WDW, but WDW is still expensive. Also, for many of us we are buying DVC because an "ordinary hotel room" simply won't do - we want the suite, the kitchen, the 2 bathrooms, the privacy of a bedroom door from the kids, whatever it might be... DVC should not be bought with the idea of "saving money"... it is more economical than other ways to visit WDW annually, but visiting WDW annually is hardly a value proposition.

I could see us at some point growing our membership to around 500 points, I could also equally likely see us shedding our points down to the minimum for direct benefits and/or eliminating our interest in DVC entirely. It is a lot of fun to go to WDW, but it is incredibly expensive. Also, we have recently been getting very interested in DCL (another expensive vacation), and could see us saying we are only doing day trips or overnights at S/D instead moving forward.

I am with @Bearval that a lot of “value DVC members” who participate in the resale market are potentially getting priced out (or losing interest) in DVC vacations (you see comments to that effect all over these boards and other blogs)— but also now the prices are getting low enough that other DVC cohorts (need two bedrooms, always stay at BCV over Christmas, like cabins/GV, etc.) are picking up points, so we might keep seeing bigger gaps between the various DVC properties—ESPECIALLY if they modify the product to make SAP even harder to use, and it could further depress resale values as the BCV/BWW/HHI/VB/BRV all stop being options around 2041. I do think if Disney actually builds news parks/lands it will boost DVC resale for a while.

I think Hawaii is its own animal and I’m currently looking at hotels for this December and it is crazy. There are a lot of AUL points lingering in the low 100s, but they already appear to have stabilized in that range for several months now and I do think we could see them ticking up if dues don’t climb too much.
Completely agree with this analysis.

DVC is in theory an economic way to visit WDW, but WDW is still expensive. Also, for many of us we are buying DVC because an "ordinary hotel room" simply won't do - we want the suite, the kitchen, the 2 bathrooms, the privacy of a bedroom door from the kids, whatever it might be... DVC should not be bought with the idea of "saving money"... it is more economical than other ways to visit WDW annually, but visiting WDW annually is hardly a value proposition.

I could see us at some point growing our membership to around 500 points, I could also equally likely see us shedding our points down to the minimum for direct benefits and/or eliminating our interest in DVC entirely. It is a lot of fun to go to WDW, but it is incredibly expensive. Also, we have recently been getting very interested in DCL (another expensive vacation), and could see us saying we are only doing day trips or overnights at S/D instead moving forward.
If FL fell into the ocean tomorrow I would still be a DVC member because of DLand and Aulani.

If FL fell into the ocean tomorrow I would still be a DVC member because of DLand and Aulani.
That's great and one view. For us, we wouldn't. Both of those properties are too far for us to even consider purchasing in a timeshare situation.

I'm sure other members would be somewhere in between these two extremes.

That's great and one view. For us, we wouldn't. Both of those properties are too far for us to even consider purchasing in a timeshare situation.

I'm sure other members would be somewhere in between these two extremes.
I think the vast majority of this board and of the membership would agree with your original statement, I just feel the need to hold the West Coast DVC flag as high as I can sometimes. 😏

I think the vast majority of this board and of the membership would agree with your original statement, I just feel the need to hold the West Coast DVC flag as high as I can sometimes. 😏
West Coast, represent! <<insert rap beat here>>

Seriously though, we have 2x as many points as we need if we stopped visiting WDW…but we’d probably just shift to staying in 2B OV instead of 1B IV at Aulani.

West Coast, represent! <<insert rap beat here>>

Seriously though, we have 2x as many points as we need if we stopped visiting WDW…but we’d probably just shift to staying in 2B OV instead of 1B IV at Aulani.
My wife sent me this photo of an IV room she saw on one of her socials today. Oh boy!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 9.41.32 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 9.41.32 PM.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 21
My wife sent me this photo of an IV room she saw on one of her socials today. Oh boy!
Welp, it’s definitely a view of the island, emphasis on land.

Honestly, I know IV is not guaranteed any ocean view and my biggest concern with it would be the noise from the parking (and presumably the port cochere below)— I’m going to keep pressing our luck with IV because I still think I’d be more grumpy about paying a big premium for ocean view with the majority of the resort between me and the sea…but one day they will start doing construction on the empty lot to the south and on that day I will probably pony up for OV (and possibly take shorter trips for a few years)…or maybe BCV and VGF will be lose their appeal and we’ll blow all our points on a GV.

Welp, it’s definitely a view of the island, emphasis on land.

Honestly, I know IV is not guaranteed any ocean view and my biggest concern with it would be the noise from the parking (and presumably the port cochere below)— I’m going to keep pressing our luck with IV because I still think I’d be more grumpy about paying a big premium for ocean view with the majority of the resort between me and the sea…but one day they will start doing construction on the empty lot to the south and on that day I will probably pony up for OV (and possibly take shorter trips for a few years)…or maybe BCV and VGF will be lose their appeal and we’ll blow all our points on a GV.
Aulani Grand Villas…. Ocean Front views…. low priced resale contracts….. it’s a wonderful thing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter