If you do rider swap, the first rider waits in the line and the second rider goes through what will eventually be the FP line. Rider 1 will wait the full wait time (usually slightly less time than posted) and Rider 2 will join the queue right at the room with Hondo. So if one of you is interested in playing the interactive game in the queue than that person should go first. The line moves quickly and rider swap seems like it would be the best option as the single rider line seems to be inconsistent in how fast it moves.

Good to hear! My little guy is in a huge Star Wars phase but I think by the time we got into the cockpit he was a bit overwhelmed and we hadn't talked about the ride seats or jobs or anything beforehand.

Just be aware, in the gunner position, the rider has to press 2 buttons before the ride starts and it requires reading. You have to press a button to let the ride know you are there, and then choose either "Manual" or "Auto" for the guns. You have to do this quickly or the computer will choose auto as a default. You will not be in a position to press these buttons for your child. It is very hectic when you get seated and fasten your seatbelt. You can just not press any buttons and it will default to automatic mode, so your kid can press buttons and pretend to shoot, and think he is actually doing something. I'd just let it play out that way.

To be honest, the easiest position for a 4 year old is probably left pilot. Being right pilot requires a long reach for the hyperspace handle, which might be hard for a small child. If your child is even somewhat good at video games, left pilot is a good position. By comparison, gunner and engineer require timed responses to flashing buttons, which would be kinda hard for a 4 year old. I thought engineer was pretty stressful, to be honest. There are a LOT of buttons to push and you have to do it quickly.

Reactions: EmJ

Quickie question - which MFSR position would you say is best for a young child? We've already told our son that only adults can drive the Millennium Falcon just like only adults can drive cars (yes, we lied 😜), so he's not expecting to be pilot. He will be 5 at the time of travel.

Gunner. Let it default to "auto mode" and have him enjoy the ride. You want right pilot. Pulling that hyperspace handle gave me the feels.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. Sounds like it'll be easy if I can time it right.

For what it's worth, the last time I was in this same scenario with a "new" ride, Radiator Springs Racers had just opened and I didn't do any research to be able to get on efficiently, and my now-wife and I ended up waiting in line for 2 or 3 hours. We'd like to prevent a repeat of that.

Regardless, we've got plenty of fun to look forward to. We've got this CA trip next week, and our 2nd Disney cruise the day after thanksgiving. All hail the mouse!

I've seen differing info on threads (here and on other boards). Is it possible to ask the cast member giving out roles to wait to be pilot or will they just say "move along"? It's important to DH to be pilot at least once during our relatively short visit, so we had every expectation of a longer wait.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. Sounds like it'll be easy if I can time it right.

For what it's worth, the last time I was in this same scenario with a "new" ride, Radiator Springs Racers had just opened and I didn't do any research to be able to get on efficiently, and my now-wife and I ended up waiting in line for 2 or 3 hours. We'd like to prevent a repeat of that.

Regardless, we've got plenty of fun to look forward to. We've got this CA trip next week, and our 2nd Disney cruise the day after thanksgiving. All hail the mouse!
You aren’t by any chance on the double-dip on the Wonder, are you? We are on that the day after Thanksgiving!

You aren’t by any chance on the double-dip on the Wonder, are you? We are on that the day after Thanksgiving!

We are on that one! Picked it for a few reasons:
1) Tiana's Place: Kiddo is obsessed with all things Princess and Frog
2) Port of Galveston embarkation: 2 hour flight from home vs 4 hr flight to Florida
3) Double Dip: Loved Castaway Cay on our first cruise, so much so that we loved that this itinerary goes twice.
4) Key West: I just want some authentic key lime pie.

Just doing my best to live up to my username. We're tentatively planning a WDW trip next February, but only if my wife has a conference out there so we can take advantage of conference hotel rates.

I've been kinda looking at the wait times every so often because I'm going the 13-15th of September and right now it seems more normal for higher wait times in the morning with fairly decent to really decent waits later on throughout the day.

I don't think our plan is to do it first thing in the morning because I don't think we'll be able to get there early enough to get right up there at the gates like we did when we went in March (we're coming from Naples/Long Beach area rather than being able to take a quick uber like we did in March).

So I echo what others say too by just kinda monitoring the wait times on the app the few days prior to your trip and take it from there.

Thanks everyone! I think we will aim for him to be gunner in the automatic mode. He doesn’t know the difference if he’s doing anything or not. He is actually pretty good at video games, but I have no idea how he would do in a simulator and I don’t want us to be That Family that ruined the ride for everyone else because the preschooler crashed the Falcon :) That’s really good to know about the hyperspace handle though. DH would be in heaven, if we get the chance.

I've seen differing info on threads (here and on other boards). Is it possible to ask the cast member giving out roles to wait to be pilot or will they just say "move along"? It's important to DH to be pilot at least once during our relatively short visit, so we had every expectation of a longer wait.
I have gone with 2 different groups are different times and asked to be pilot. They let us be them. Other people said that even though they asked, they were given other roles..so who knows

It seems to me that many people rope-drop it unnecessarily. As others have suggested, do it later. Also, the single-rider line has never taken me longer than about 10 minutes. Not a fan of the ride, myself. I get slight motion sickness from it and I find the game aspect of it distracting and kind of annoying.

I don't like the game type rides. I don't like the Buzz Lightyear one and the Toy story mania does nothing for me either. I don't have high hopes for Smugglers run based on what I've read. I'm a Star Wars fan, but the ride just doesn't spark my interest. Rise of the Resistance is the one I'm waiting for.

It seems highly variable as you’ve surmised. But there is not an option to wait for pilot. The way the queue and area where the cards are handed out is configured it isn’t really viable for them to make a “pilot” line.

All you can do is ask...

I don't like the game type rides. I don't like the Buzz Lightyear...
This is where we disagree. I'm a Buzz Lightyear addict and always do it at least eight times per park visit and nearly always break 1M and often 2M :-). For me, though, the point of that attraction is solely to shoot things and score points. SR should be about enjoying the ride and looking around as you fly. You're often distracted by having to press inconsequential buttons rather than simply enjoying yourself. You turn to deal with things and miss everything that's happening on screen.

... To be honest, the easiest position for a 4 year old is probably left pilot...
It may be easiest for the child, but in my experience, it is not easy on the other passengers when the pilot is a small child. When we see that we will have children as our pilots, we quickly ask the CM if we can stay back or switch with two in another group. The back and neck pain are not worth it!
Gunner. Let it default to "auto mode" and have him enjoy the ride...
Agree! (And don't forget to tell him what a great job he did!)

It may be easiest for the child, but in my experience, it is not easy on the other passengers when the pilot is a small child. When we see that we will have children as our pilots, we quickly ask the CM if we can stay back or switch with two in another group. The back and neck pain are not worth it!

Agree! (And don't forget to tell him what a great job he did!)
Thanks! We’ve already let him know pilot is a no-go out of consideration for the other riders (he doesn’t know that though; he thinks you need a drivers license, lol). Different question. Are the gunners in the middle or the back? I’m totally fine with him sitting alone, but I’d prefer he not be behind both DH and me, if possible. He will survive if he is :)

Thanks! We’ve already let him know pilot is a no-go out of consideration for the other riders (he doesn’t know that though; he thinks you need a drivers license, lol). Different question. Are the gunners in the middle or the back? I’m totally fine with him sitting alone, but I’d prefer he not be behind both DH and me, if possible. He will survive if he is :)
Gunners are in the middle. The order from front to back: pilots, gunners, engineers. And CMs will ask that one of you sit next to or behind him for safety (within arm's reach, just in case).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter