New ticket system coming to WDW - Begins October 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a trip planned for March 2019 and already have 5 day hopper tickets for that purchased from UT. Am considering another trip in December and was thinking of upgrading to AP in March for both trips.... Any ideas how the pricing for bridging/upgrading will work???

4 day tickets get a 7 day window, so that's 3 "off days" in a week, which is a reduction from previous flexibility but I don't think it's too bad. People impacted are probably going to be people coming from farther away (Europe, etc.) who may be spending two weeks or more in the area, but then again, for them a 10 day ticket gets 14 days to use it.

They've thankfully retained the pricing structure that it's not much more to add on a day after 4 days. 4-day->5-day ~= $16. 5->6 ~$15, etc. Whether you used a 6th day or not, at least it's not much more to extend your window.
If you're only going to Disney it's less of an impact for sure.

But it doesn't take people coming from Europe to be impacted by it. Just by adding in Universal (which already has a crummy 7-day expiration date---don't even get me started on that lol) with the new 'expires within X days of first use' you've already added a big planning wrench--staying onsite or offsite. Even more so if whatever else you choose to do you still want 'rest days'.

4 day tickets get a 7 day window, so that's 3 "off days" in a week, which is a reduction from previous flexibility but I don't think it's too bad. People impacted are probably going to be people coming from farther away (Europe, etc.) who may be spending two weeks or more in the area, but then again, for them a 10 day ticket gets 14 days to use it.

They've thankfully retained the pricing structure that it's not much more to add on a day after 4 days. 4-day->5-day ~= $16. 5->6 ~$15, etc. Whether you used a 6th day or not, at least it's not much more to extend your window.
UK and European visitors have totally different ticket options than US and CAN visitors.

That is true, but when I say a week vacation I usually mean the weekdays plus the 2 surrounding weekends. In out case, we are staying 8 mights, which gives us technically 9 days that we could theoretically go to the parks. We are only choosing to go to the parks only on 4 of them. If by chance we wanted our first use to be arrival day (we don't, but we could have) we would not be able to use the tickets the last 3 days of our stay, and our flight on the last day is 9:20 PM so it wouldn't be unreasonable to go that day.

We are onsite, not a package, but it's a 4/4 split stay which complicates it, so I've been asking if we would have the 7 day window or 14 day window with the complicating factore of being room only and a split stay. I don't think we know the answer yet.

I also want to add we have a combo of APs and tickets we already bought, so this is a theoretical question for future trips, for this one we are all set with old tickets with the 14 day expiration period.

And you know for fact it won't work? Or is it just thinking the worse?
Knowing how coding works is enough for me to know if it works for FP it can work for Tickets expiration date
I know for a fact that the FP+ reservation system allows you 24 hours to add tickets after cancelling a package before deleting your reservation, a loophole that allows people to get the benefit of an onsite stay without actually staying onsite. I know for a fact that quite often, I have to call Disney Dining to make my 180+ ADRs because the dining reservation system doesn't acknowledge my DVC reservation. So for you to make the statement that the flex option will be extended to non-package reservations leaves me with great feelings of doubt. The systems that you cite as working (ADRs and FP+ at 60 days) operate differently because they are RESERVATION systems. They simply do a check to confirm a resort stay is attached to the individual making the reservation, and for FP+ that ticket media are attached to each name for which reservations are being made. The ticketing system is completely different and would require more than just a check. It would need to confer the flex option to the tickets tied to the guests' names. That's not going to be as easy as just a look-see confirmation. It actually requires a change to the tickets' benefits.

ETA: @tinka-belle posted in the WDW Date Based Ticket FAQ that tickets purchased separately (i.e. not as a part of a package) will only be valid for the number of days assigned to the ticket at purchase and not for the length of stay. This also applies to split stays where the first part of the stay is part of a package. The ticket will be valid for the original number of days and validity will not be extended thru the end of the next stay(s).

Last edited:
We have a trip planned for March 2019 and already have 5 day hopper tickets for that purchased from UT. Am considering another trip in December and was thinking of upgrading to AP in March for both trips.... Any ideas how the pricing for bridging/upgrading will work???

My understanding on (all?) upgrades is you pay the difference between the current price of what you're upgrading to (so $894+Tax now) minus what the retail value of those Hoppers was when you bought them, not their current value.

That is true, but when I say a week vacation I usually mean the weekdays plus the 2 surrounding weekends. In out case, we are staying 8 mights, which gives us technically 9 days that we could theoretically go to the parks. We are only choosing to go to the parks only on 4 of them. If by chance we wanted our first use to be arrival day (we don't, but we could have) we would not be able to use the tickets the last 3 days of our stay, and our flight on the last day is 9:20 PM so it wouldn't be unreasonable to go that day.

We are onsite, not a package, but it's a 4/4 split stay which complicates it, so I've been asking if we would have the 7 day window or 14 day window with the complicating factore of being room only and a split stay. I don't think we know the answer yet.

I also want to add we have a combo of APs and tickets we already bought, so this is a theoretical question for future trips, for this one we are all set with old tickets with the 14 day expiration period.

Yeah, I see how it makes it more complicated with the split stay.

I think they're almost incentivizing people to have more park days (and spend more food/souvenir $$$) with the new setup. Instead of planning 4 park days in your 9 day trip, for only $30pp more, you can plan 6 park days in your 9 day trip! (/MouseLogic)

I think they're almost incentivizing people to have more park days (and spend more food/souvenir $$$) with the new setup. Instead of planning 4 park days in your 9 day trip, for only $30pp more, you can plan 6 park days in your 9 day trip! (/MouseLogic)

yeah, i can see that - and going from 4 to 6 days gives you more days across which to use them

Plus those 2 extra days are days you aren't at Universal :D

Since tickets price are not announced yet for this time frame, this could be interesting for some...

Our Package, with 10 day tickets, for 2 adults, from Dec 21 2019 to Jan 1st 2020 would have been $135 more expensive. So ticket would be about $68 more pp around $7 more per day. Not bad.

yeah, i can see that - and going from 4 to 6 days gives you more days across which to use them

Plus those 2 extra days are days you aren't at Universal :D

I'm assuming this is a big reason for the shorter expiration - to make you buy more tickets/more park days and less non park days. Because on the non park days you might be leaving Disney and spending money elsewhere. So they don't really have incentive, other than customer service and good publicity (blanking on what to call this), to make it easier to do less park days. if they do actually give you 14 days for a non package resort stay, I would hope/think with an all Disney resort split stay they SHOULD also give 14 days, but then it gets complicated and who knows. Same for a Disney cruise in the middle.

What's ironic is that in our case we just like resort days, and don't want to cram more park days in. We have APs, and it would have been only $10 more for the grandparents to get 5 day passes over 4 day ones, but with our circumstances (no parks in walking distance to the resorts we're at, over a busy holiday, 20 month old twin toddlers, been to Disney a lot), we just want to enjoy the rest of Disney. We won't be leaving property, and will probably spend more outside of the parks eating and shopping than if we were in the parks waiting in line and riding. Or at lest spend a comparable amount. I guess we aren't the typical guests.

I am in the same boat as you, except my first trip is in February. In the past, when done correctly, the tickets have been bridged to the current gate price (not the retail price) and you would pay the difference between the gate price of the ticket you have (the park hopper) and the ticket you want (the AP). I'm hoping there have been no changes to this policy.

Last edited:
So who thinks ticket prices are going up again Febr

I am in the same boat as you, except my first trip is in February. In the past, when done correctly, the tickets have been bridged to the current gate price (not the retail price) and you would pay the difference between the gate price of the ticket you have (the park hopper) and the ticket you want (the AP). I'm hoping there have been no changes to this policy.
It changed when Disney added an expiration date to MYW tickets. You now get whatever the gate price was on the day that the ticket was minted (not the day it was sold). If it was minted prior to Feb. 12, 2017 then your ticket will be bridged to the gate price it commanded on 2/11/17.

It changed when Disney added an expiration date to MYW tickets. You now get whatever the gate price was on the day that the ticket was minted (not the day it was sold). If it was minted prior to Feb. 12, 2017 then your ticket will be bridged to the gate price it commanded on 2/11/17.
Yes...that is exactly right. Thank you for the clarification.

For information, I did a price check of park hoppers vs 1 park per day tickets before Oct 16 and did the same price check for a couple different date windows today to see the price differences. Depending on the window, you could pay more or pay less for the same ticket.

11/9/2018 for a 10 day window has a mix of value, regular and peak. 9/8/2019 seems to be all value.

Ticket prices.....ticket start date
..........before 11/9/2018 9/8/2019
2 day PH $274.00 $289.02 $267.86
3 day PH $370.00 $384.13 $357.05
4 day PH $455.00 $472.92 $452.29
5 day PH $470.00 $491.08 $468.75
6 day PH $480.00 $507.00 $478.60
7 day PH $490.00 $521.00 $487.43
8 day PH $500.00 $536.62 $495.38
9 day PH $510.00 $549.01 $505.66
10 day PH $520.00 $560.45 $517.42

2 day 1PPD $209.00 $224.02 $202.86
3 day 1PPD $305.00 $319.13 $292.05
4 day 1PPD $380.00 $397.92 $377.29
5 day 1PPD $395.00 $416.08 $393.75
6 day 1PPD $405.00 $432.00 $403.60
7 day 1PPD $415.00 $446.00 $412.43
8 day 1PPD $425.00 $461.62 $420.38
9 day 1PPD $435.00 $474.01 $430.66
10 day 1PPD $445.00 $485.45 $442.42

Last edited:
Yes, tickets are good for the length of your stay, this has already been posted.
Split stays will likely complicate things. Will be curious to see how they work, or if they've even thought about it. Outside of DISers I'm not sure they are commonly done. I'd say vast majority of guests stay in 1 room the entire time.
I also wonder how this will impact anyone who wants to use their package tickets early. Currently, you can get them what is it, 2 weeks early? I can't see any way that can still work but no idea. It's not something I've ever done

I missed where it was posted that non-package tickets would also be good for length of stay. Was it on this thread and I skimmed over it or was it elsewhere?

Not sure if others have already noticed, but it appears the Flexible Tickets are in fact "flat" pricing that are only dependent on # days and Base/PH/PHP selection. It appears they are just a few more dollars (i.e. <$10) in each case from the corresponding maximum rate ticket on the calendar. If you started with a Value ticket, the upcharge is bigger; if you started with a Peak ticket, the upcharge is minimal, getting you to the same total cost either path.

Personally, pretty bummed about this on two fronts...
1) This makes the 14 day usage window add-on a WAY bigger premium if you are traveling during a Value season , and didn't really need the flexible dates but did need the extra usage days. This kinda contradicts part of their entire claim that they are trying to "promote" traveling at lower times. For someone that wants to spread out their days, there is no pricing benefit anymore if offsite.
2) Putting down some of these flat rates gives IMO the most direct way to look at the cost increases to MYW tickets... gives you a good apples-to-apples comparison for same level of entitlements and usage windows. And when you look at the numbers that way, I think the increases for 2nd time this year are pretty sad!

I'm glad I pulled the trigger on the UT tickets. I bought 2 10-day PH for me and my DH and 2 8-Day PH for my DD and her BF.

The 10-Day UT PHs were $504.57, the Disney advance price was $533.80 and the current advance price (1st use 12/30/18) is $599.31. The advance price went up $45.51 per ticket and I saved $94.74 per ticket between the UT discount and buying yesterday.

The 8-Day UT PHs were $484.34, the Disney advance price was $532.50 and the current advance price (1st use 12/30/18) is $578.86. The advance price went up $43.53 per ticket and I saved $91.69 per ticket between the UT discount and buying yesterday.

I did notice something interesting ... My DD may use her ticket first on 12/30 or she might not use it until 12/31. I selected both start dates and while they both say same "price per day", it's $5 cheaper if we were buying a ticket that started on 12/31 instead of 12/30, so there are minor differences even within the same "price per day" since it's approximate. OH ... and the "price per day" is BEFORE taxes.

Ok, so I will admit I was thinking it would be much worse. we did end up saving $252 purchasing before the increase, still a lot of money. Not looking forward to another increase in Feb.

To me this becomes one of the main reasons to stay onsite if you don't either have APs or don't plan on going to the parks nearly every day of your trip.

I feel strongly that many of the incidental changes that Disney has made are geared in part to encouraging guests to choose onsite lodging vs offsite. If one "incentive" does not grab you, perhaps another will. For some the ticket range dates are going to be the incentive to either choose to finally stay onsite, or to discourage guests who were considering to change to offsite to just continue onsite.

And again, an incentive to spend you money in Disney rather than anyplace else in the area.

I happened to have a 10 day park hopper lingering in my cart and the price went from $520 plus tax to $515 plus tax.....

Kind of interesting but today that same ticket is still lingering in my cart and is back to $520. When I go to price for the actual dates it would be used it's $539.37 plus tax so another increase example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter