New to Disneyland?? Any help??

NJ2Boardwalk

DIS Veteran
We are east costers - looking for a different vaca. Have been to the World many times, but want to experience something new. My questions are: (please forgive ignorance, like I said, east coasters), 1. Where is Disneyland in CA? Want to say on-site, what is good? Since there are only 2 parks, what else can you do in the area, and how far away are they? What is weather like July/Aug? What airport do I fly into? Reason I picked CA is I'm trying to avoid the hurricaines over here. We haven't had a good track record as of late. Any other info appreciated.

Disneyland is in Southern California--Orange County--about 2 hours or so north of San Diego. Weather in July/August is warm, a bit humid but not uncomfortable. Lots to do here--beaches not far, Knott's Berry Farm 15 minutes away. Universal Studios about an hour north. Lots of shopping. San Diego, Legoland, Wild Animal Park, you name it. There is plenty to do. John Wayne Airport is closest in Orange County. Not familiar with hotels onsite.

My first trip to DL is coming up in April, but info from all the guidebooks and from people here, sounds like all 3 onsite hotels are great, just a matter of how much you're willing to pay. Disneyland Hotel sounds better for smaller kids, and Paradise Pier Hotel is comparable in price. Grand Californian costs quite a bit more, but is newer, nicer, and perhaps more suitable to older children.

Check out the sticky post up top regarding onsite and offsite hotels; there are some awesome photos and lots of good info.

Airports: there are 4. LAX is the farthest, but often can have good rates for people coming from the east. Be sure to add in the transportation costs if you are considering this airport (its my last choice of the 4). The 2 closest are SNA (aka: john wayne, orange county, Santa Ana). About 15 miles away, lots of transportation options. A great midsize airport. Long Beach is about that distance as well- its a smaller airport, so might not be an option from your area. Ontario is the other options, its about the same distance as LAX, but its much shorter travel time because of traffic, etc.

Hotels: On site there are 3. The Grand CA, is the largest, newest and most expensive. It is the only on site property with direct enterence into either of the parks. It enters in to DCA (calif. Adventure). The mid priced is the classic Disneyland hotel. Its a few minute walk to the park. The cheapest is Paradise Pier. Nice hotel, but a bit of walk. You can cut through the GC, which makes the walk a bit shorter.

There are also a number of cheaper offsite hotels that are within walking distance. Everything in the Disneyland resort area is extremely close- not like WDW at all. You can get some hotel reviews at www.tripadvisor.com. They currently have the Candy Cane Inn and Howard Johnson (hojo's) listed at the top couple properties in the area based on cost and overall guest satisfaction. Both are about 10-15 walk to the main gates. The candy cane is about the same distance as paradise pier, but candy cane offers a free shuttle, disney expects you to walk. Candy cane also offers breakfast.

July and August will be pretty warm. You can check average temps at www.weather.com Its a drier heat then you are used to at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter