• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Years Eve at Epcot Question

GrumpyGal43

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone! :wave2:

My friend and I have tix/park reservation for Epcot on New Year's Eve. I have two questions hoping you can help with :)

1. If we have a ticket and a reservation do we have to be at Epcot at rope drop and stay ALL day? Or can we go whenever we want because we have the reservation?

2. Right now it says Epcot is at capacity for NYE. I have a friend looking to join us - what are the odds one spot will open up for that day? I know no one can predict exactly what will happen I'm just asking if anyone has ever had this happen and still be able to snag a park reservation? :earsboy:

Thanks in advance! :-)

1. If you have a park reservation, it guarantees you entry into a park from open to close. You may leave and re-enter.

2. Being honest, adding a ticket to a park that is at capacity is often challenging but adding that it's NYE and Epcot, it will be much more challenging. It will be a case of trying often to see if something opens up and that you can successfully snag it before someone else does. There isn't a lot of data about the chances of this happening on NYE as park reservations have only been in place for 2 years.

Just a note that the Park Availability Calendar is not updated real-time so it's recommended you try to book a reservation to check actual availability. Unfortunately this can only be done if guest already has a ticket purchased but if the only park you are going to is Epcot, that person purchasing a ticket does not guarantee they will be able to join you at Epcot.

Your friend may be able to join you but personally I feel chances are slim.

1. If you have a park reservation, it guarantees you entry into a park from open to close. You may leave and re-enter.

2. Being honest, adding a ticket to a park that is at capacity is often challenging but adding that it's NYE and Epcot, it will be much more challenging. It will be a case of trying often to see if something opens up and that you can successfully snag it before someone else does. There isn't a lot of data about the chances of this happening on NYE as park reservations have only been in place for 2 years.

Just a note that the Park Availability Calendar is not updated real-time so it's recommended you try to book a reservation to check actual availability. Unfortunately this can only be done if guest already has a ticket purchased but if the only park you are going to is Epcot, that person purchasing a ticket does not guarantee they will be able to join you at Epcot.

Your friend may be able to join you but personally I feel chances are slim.
Thank you :)

Be prepared for MASSIVE crowds, lots of very “happy” people, it’s a chaotic night to be sure… did I mention crowds? Your friend may be out of luck with the ticket/availability good luck

Idk if there are other parks available on NYE, but if there are, your friend can get a hopper and go to another park first, then hop to EP at 2pm and join you.
You would have to hope that EP doesn’t close for capacity for her to hop, but from what I’ve read here on the DISboards, that’s only ever happened once and only for a short time (at MK).
Hope you can get another ticket!!

Idk if there are other parks available on NYE, but if there are, your friend can get a hopper and go to another park first, then hop to EP at 2pm and join you.
You would have to hope that EP doesn’t close for capacity for her to hop, but from what I’ve read here on the DISboards, that’s only ever happened once and only for a short time (at MK).
Hope you can get another ticket!!
thank you :) :) :)

Just a heads up that purchasing a 1 day ticket with PH option is pricey. Just looked and a 1 day ticket for Dec 31, 2022 with PH option is $224 - $238.56 after tax. And, park hopping will not begin until 2PM. Also, known risk is that park hopping is not guaranteed. Yes, it's only been stopped once for a few hours to the MK on Oct 31, 2021 but is still a risk worth mentioning.

Just so you have all the info @GrumpyGal43.

Just a heads up that purchasing a 1 day ticket with PH option is pricey. Just looked and a 1 day ticket for Dec 31, 2022 with PH option is $224 - $238.56 after tax. And, park hopping will not begin until 2PM. Also, known risk is that park hopping is not guaranteed. Yes, it's only been stopped once for a few hours to the MK on Oct 31, 2021 but is still a risk worth mentioning.

Just so you have all the info @GrumpyGal43.
thanks for the heads up - appreciate it :)

If they opt for the risk of park hopping, I would book Studios (ASAP) and then they will be able to walk to Epcot. It's a crazy day on property and even transportation can be iffy not just waits but on the roads. And if worse comes to worse, DHS is a better park to spend your time in if you can't hop.

Also no matter if you get Epcot or DHS, if driving, park at DHS. After NYE ends it is much easier, faster and less crowded to walk over DHS, get in the car and get out of the parking lot than Epcot.

Last edited:
If they opt for the risk of park hopping, I would book Studios (ASAP) and then they will be able to walk to Epcot. It's a crazy day on property and even transportation can be iffy not just waits but on the roads. And if worse comes to worse, DHS is a better park to spend your time in if you can't hop.

Also no matter if you get Epcot or DHS, if driving, park at DHS. After NYE ends it is much easier, faster and less crowded to walk over DHS, get in the car and get out of the parking lot than Epcot.
thanks for the great advice! :)

Would you say the same for catching a bus? Trying to plan our exit strategy for after the fireworks that night!

Would you say the same for catching a bus? Trying to plan our exit strategy for after the fireworks that night!
Absolutely and we have done it. Studios is open late but is very low key so not crowded like MK & Epcot.

Last time we were by England watching the midnight fireworks. After it was over the crush of humanity was heading to the front gate. The walk to Studios was likely close to the same distance as walking all the way to Epcot bus depots. The line for buses would be crazy. We headed to DHS. We were there very quickly and walked right up to a bus, got on and had a seat. Since 3 parks close the same time they have brought in coach buses and we had one of those. I guarantee we were to our hotel before we would have been even close to getting a bus at the front of Epcot.

Absolutely and we have done it. Studios is open late but is very low key so not crowded like MK & Epcot.

Last time we were by England watching the midnight fireworks. After it was over the crush of humanity was heading to the front gate. The walk to Studios was likely close to the same distance as walking all the way to Epcot bus depots. The line for buses would be crazy. We headed to DHS. We were there very quickly and walked right up to a bus, got on and had a seat. Since 3 parks close the same time they have brought in coach buses and we had one of those. I guarantee we were to our hotel before we would have been even close to getting a bus at the front of Epcot.
Awesome. That's what we'll do. Thanks!

Does anyone recall what parks hit capacity for those trying to park hop last year on New Years Eve? Was it both MK and Epcot?

Neither, we were there and both parks were open to hopping on NYE... we hopped from AK to Epcot late evening.
Awesome thanks! I thought I recalled one park hitting capacity once for hoppers in 2021. Maybe it was Christmas.

I recalled one park hitting capacity once for hoppers in 2021
As Gehrig1B says above, what you remember is MK hitting capacity once, on October 1, 2021, for 90 minutes on the first day of the 50th Anniversary celebration. None of the parks hit capacity during the Christmas/New Year's weeks, probably due to the park reservation system. Having park reservations means they can allow for the projected number of hoppers when they set the reservation limits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter