New Year's Eve Crowds and Children with Sensory Processing Issues

fairy8i8

Spread the Magic!
Hi All! My best friend just told me that her family is going to Disney World this New Year's Eve and the 3 days afterward! It's their first trip. She thought it would be lovely to watch the amazing fireworks in the Magic Kingdom and wants to spend New Year's Eve there. I am freaking out because I know her children, and I don't think that she understands the crowds and the press of people in the walkways on New Year's Eve. Their dates are set, and hotel and tickets purchased. Suggestions for how to manage the crowds and NOT have her DDs 15&14 touched by strangers bumping into them walking around the parks? (For those of you who don't understand, my experiences in Magic Kingdom for New Year's Eve have always been desperately holding onto my husband or brother so that people don't push between us and so I at least have some buffer in front of me as people bodily push me from behind in the press of the flow of the crowd). They are a group of 7 - 2 adults and 5 kids going.

I would say they should probably find a nice bench, preferably “out of the way”, to sit on and wait for the crowds to disperse. Get a snack to enjoy ahead of time.

There is absolutely zero chance I would take our kids with SPD to WDW over NYE - I know hotel and tickets have been purchased but surely there is a chance they could reschedule for a different date? (Especially for a first trip....)

If not, where are they staying? Can they watch the fireworks from a MK resort beach instead? Even then, I would expect everywhere at WDW to be loud/crowded on NYE....

I agree with PP -- encourage them to reschedule. They aren't in a penalty phase for cancelling at this point in time. Those girls will likely be miserable, and probably the whole family too. It sounds like Mom has watched the commercials, which aren't accurate depictions of WDW at that time of year. But if she's deadset on going, there probably isn't much you can do unless you can get her husband and/or kids to understand.

Thanks! I just texted a summary of your collective wisdom to them. We will see...

Also, do any of you have favorite quiet places to sit and chill while waiting for rides around the parks?

Page 14 of This Guide includes some "quieter" spots. But "quieter" is a relative term, and I honestly would not expect those areas to be low crowds or particularly quiet at NYE. The early days of the New Year tend to quiet down considerably but not NYE.

I have been to many NYEs and it is a crazy mess. If they qualify for a DAS, they might have a fighting chance. There is a handicapped fireworks viewing area which will give them more space. I’m not sure when it fills up but it might be a good place to watch the fireworks.

I would actually recommend that they come in one day earlier and do the midnight firework's at the MK on 12/30 instead. It’s the same and way less crowded. Then, go to Epcot on 12/31 and stake out a place for their fireworks.

Here’s what Cast Members feel about NYE in the Magic Kingdom.
Show we this
View attachment 808724
This is awesome!

In all seriousness the only place I can think of where you might be able to breathe a little would be the VIP viewing section. Of course it probably runs around $1000/hour, 7 hour minimum, over NYE, but if your friend is insistent it’s the only thing I can think of. DAS may help a little but the crush of humanity on popular days makes it impossible to find anywhere quiet. Even the VIP guys that I have talked to hate it because it’s so hard to move around.

Quite simply, you can't avoid people bumping in to you. The Magic Kingdom will be wall to wall people. I think taking people into the park with SPD is asking for a disaster to happen.

Maybe go to the park as early as possible--get there at least half an hour before resort guests are allowed in. Ride what they can, leave when it gets to be too much,and if possible book the California Grill for dinner for a fireworks view.

I would tell her it will be a mass of humanity bigger than she can imagine, very loud and fairly rude when it comes to shoving others including adults shoving children. But, tell her whatever you feel the truth will be and then after telling her BACK AWAY from any and all trip advice. You know there is literally no advice that will salvage her trip beyond “don’t do it” so don’t try. She’ll just end up mad at you that your advice “didn’t work”.

Suggest Times Square as an alternative.

The only thing that would work is either a private fireworks cruise or a resort room with a fireworks view. I doubt either is available.

You can check the point rental site ebay etc and see if anyone has a confirmed reservation available.

Edited to add

It's a party of 7. The room for fireworks viewing, if even available, would probably have to be a throwaway room. The guest would probably need to also keep their exiting reservation.

Last edited:
My family has been to WDW multiple times over New Years. It was fun, but you could not pay me enough to be in a park for New Years Eve.
I went to MK on NYE once with my older daughter; neither of us have any disabilities, but it was still difficult. Basically, we had no choice where we went. We just became part of the crowd and had to go where the crowd went. Trying to break off from the crowd was almost impossible.
We were shoulder to shoulder with people and had people almost touching our backs and could have touched the people in front of us without even stretching our arms out straight. I lost my daughter several times - we had cell phones and had decided places to meet up ahead of time. There was no place that was quiet or less busy. Long lines for bathrooms and food; when we did get a place to sit and eat, we had people standing eating their food nearly touching us.

I've also been to EPCOT several times with my husband and younger daughter, who is a disabled, full time wheelchair user. Also, a couple times just my husband and me.
Because there is more space, people are a bit more spaced out, but literally couldn't stretch out our arms without hitting someone. Not much fun for my daughter, anyone in a wheelchair, ECV, stroller or even small kids walking because they will see a lot of butts and not much else. That was very difficult for my daughter because of anxiety when people are too close or she feels blocked.
The area around the entrance to World Showcase will be most busy because people want to be there for the fireworks (and getting out afterwards).
We stayed one time at Beach Club and the rest at Boardwalk. That allowed us to 'escape' the park and see the fireworks from outside. Boardwalk had a party with a DJ, which was more enjoyable for us. Except for one year, we left EPCOT early after picking up our party hats and never went back in.
I would not spend NYE at MK again unless I was at Contemporary where I could walk to easily. Also would only do Hollywood Studio or EPCOT if staying at one of the EPCOT area resorts so I could escape easily.
They are going to decide whatever they decide, but at least they can make a more informed decision

We have visited on NYE at least 10 years and I would not recommend for the OP. We always do the MK pre-NYE at MK followed by Epcot on NYE, and we have a good plan as to what we will and won't do as well as quiet places to re-set/re-group. We plan two sit down meals as well to get a break from the crowds and guarantee nobody gets hangry. It can be a great time if you know what to expect and plan accordingly.

That said - my "typical" dd still had a panic attack one year when an area of the WS was so congested that literally nobody could move in either direction. (Heading toward Japan just after the stage in the America pavilion). I have seen all the actions mentioned above as well, grown adults trying to stand on fences and walls. We took a break the next year, then covid happened but we did return for 2021 and had a great time.

ETA - reminded by a poster below that we always stay in walking distance of Epcot on NYE, the one year we did not we waited at least 2 hours in the bus line for OKW. If I can't budget for an Epcot resort, then we won't go for NYE at all.

No way would I plan a first visit for NYE-under the OP's circumstances. If they can adjust the park dates, maybe watch the fireworks from outside the park and then use the park tickets starting the 1st instead.

Last edited:
I have been to many NYEs and it is a crazy mess. If they qualify for a DAS, they might have a fighting chance. There is a handicapped fireworks viewing area which will give them more space. I’m not sure when it fills up but it might be a good place to watch the fireworks.

I would actually recommend that they come in one day earlier and do the midnight firework's at the MK on 12/30 instead. It’s the same and way less crowded. Then, go to Epcot on 12/31 and stake out a place for their fireworks.
The viewing areas are primarily for guests using wheelchairs/ECVs/mobility devices. Even during quieter times, they may fill up an hour before whatever is being viewed. The front row (or multiple rows when it's busy) will be filled with mobility devices pretty much right next to each other.
When it's busy, they are often limited to one person per wheelchair. Other additional members of the group would need to find their own spot to watch.
Just keeping track of 5 kids, including 2 who are concerned about being bumped or touched, would be REALLY difficult. In less crowded situations, strollers would help to 'contain' children and give them a 'safe refuge', but negotiating the parks with a stroller (or 2) when it's really busy comes with its own set of issues

The viewing areas are primarily for guests using wheelchairs/ECVs/mobility devices. Even during quieter times, they may fill up an hour before whatever is being viewed. The front row (or multiple rows when it's busy) will be filled with mobility devices pretty much right next to each other.
When it's busy, they are often limited to one person per wheelchair. Other additional members of the group would need to find their own spot to watch.
Just keeping track of 5 kids, including 2 who are concerned about being bumped or touched, would be REALLY difficult. In less crowded situations, strollers would help to 'contain' children and give them a 'safe refuge', but negotiating the parks with a stroller (or 2) when it's really busy comes with its own set of issues
That's good to know. I though the area was open to other folks with DAS needs too, not just people with mobility problems. Thanks for setting me straight! I watched the fireworks from there and I was one of the last people in the area.

That's good to know. I though the area was open to other folks with DAS needs too, not just people with mobility problems. Thanks for setting me straight! I watched the fireworks from there and I was one of the last people in the area.
It has been a few years but our experience ..

EPCOT we were told multiple times the viewing areas are for mobility devices only. My DS who has a DAS and is obviously disabled was refused entry every time.

MK we were told each time we entered that if more mobility devices show up (1) only one person could remain with DS and (2) we could be asked to leave the area completely. At that point we wouldn't be able to find a spot for DS so after a couple close calls we decided to just find a spot way early and use trash cans and ourselves to buffer him.

Where are they staying at? The Hub and Main Street area are shoulder to shoulder on regular days. I can’t even imagine the craziness of NYE. Plus the chaos of trying to leave afterwards. The buses are going to be packed like sardines.

Which brings me back to VIP as the only possible way of it not ending up a complete and utter disaster. With VIP you’ll have a little more breathing room (though not much), and after fireworks ends they should be able to drive you back to your hotel, though you’ll need to wait quite a while for the park to empty enough to fight your way over to the cars. We’re talking $$$$$$$, but if they are really stubborn and insist on being at MK on NYE I don’t know any other way to pull it off. But I would also second the idea of making no suggestions beyond “do not do it” because they truly do not understand just how bad it will be and it will all be your fault.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter