New York tips and discussion

Can anyone recommend a good NY street map? I have looked online and can't see anything - am happy to pay for a proper map. I am finally getting into gear for October's trip, and want something no bigger than A3, that I can mark everywhere on that I want to go and see it all in one glance. I have a good guide book but the map is over about 20 pages!:goodvibes

Also (sorry, gone into complete planning mode!) has anyone ever used a car service to / from JFK that they would recommend? A taxi is $45 and i was thinking a car may not be much more than that.

I am going on Monday! Still have no idea what we are doing while there!

Not sure how long you were/are away for Claire, but looking forward to hearing about it!!

Thanks. We leave tomorrow & will be back on friday. :yay: We have still made no plans, just going to go with the flow.

Thanks. We leave tomorrow & will be back on friday. :yay: We have still made no plans, just going to go with the flow.

Sometimes that's best! I've been to NY once before and in 5 days we did pretty much everything we wanted to without a plan in place! We had 2 tours booked (regular touristy one and the Sex and the City one) but apart from that we just went with the flow!

Okay, I got back this morning from a fun 3 night trip.

We flew with American Airlines - the plane was small, the same type of plane I have flown to paris on. The seats were uncomfortable and the entertainment was poor, screens in the aisle which were difficult to see. The drinks & food service was probably the best thing about the flight, they came around plenty with drinks. Both ways they sat me & my sister seperate and did the same to other groups, we had to switch seats with someone on the way back.

We stayed at the Roosevelt which was perfectly fine while not outstanding. The location was fantastic,loads of stuff in easy walking distance.

We just used the subway to get around, which was simple enough.

We did
Times Square
Madison Ave
Fifth Ave
Central Park
SoHo
Greenwich Village
Empire State building
Ground Zero
Battery Park
Wall St.
Stock Exchange
China Town
Macy's

My favourites were Times Square & Greenwich Village, both completely different. We enjoyed spending evenings at Times Square as it was so close and had a few drinks out however it was expensive, though that is to be expected.

I thought the shopping is better in Orlando, more bargains even in the Malls rather than outlets.

The people were very friendly and surprisingly laid back, especially compared to people in London.

Glad you had fun Claire! I agree that the shopping is better in Orlando. :thumbsup2

We went to SoHo and it was just like being in Manchester - H&M, Zara. Mango, All Saints and Top Shop and obviously they are more expensive in NY. $100 for a £35 dress in Top Shop.

We went to SoHo and it was just like being in Manchester - H&M, Zara. Mango, All Saints and Top Shop and obviously they are more expensive in NY. $100 for a £35 dress in Top Shop.

Yep, that's what I experienced too. I think New York is good if you're into designer stuff, as you're likely to make fairly big savings. I'm more of a Forever 21 girl myself. :rotfl: Saying that, I thought the branch in NY was terrible. The one in Florida Mall is much better. :thumbsup2

I did get a couple of shirts from forever 21 at Times Square, I will have to check out the one in Orlando in January.

Another one who prefers the shopping in Orlando by far compared to NYC!
Paula discovered Forever XXI on our trip, the on in Mall at Millennia, which i didn't complain about as it's pretty cheap and I got some wifi near there ;)
Rumours are that DCL may be doing cruises including NYC in the future, which will be awesome!!

:goodvibes

Rumours are that DCL may be doing cruises including NYC in the future, which will be awesome!!

:goodvibes

I would be tempted by that!

I want to take my daughter at some point, maybe next december for christmas.

Resurrecting this thread.....:goodvibes

Can anyone tell me how long they spent on the Statue of Liberty and going up to the crown? I understand it's about 350 stairs and has airport style security beforehand so can take a while.

We're still undecided whether to do it or not but the SOL was closed when I last visited NY. I think if we do do it we'll go the first morning as hopefully we'll all be up early due to the time difference, but at the same time I don't know if the 9am slot is just too early :confused3 I know dates fill up quickly so we do plan to buy tickets in advance :)

we have booked,for our 1st morning,to climb to the crown,but have gone for the 11a.m slot.
getting excited now,2 weeks tomorrow,we will be there:)
tracy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter