Newbie Questions

MNmama

Earning My Ears
hello! We are looking to take our first cruise. The very Merrytime cruise and I have some questions.

- when you pay for the trip, that includes all your meals correct? What about non alcoholic beverages?
- What is the typical amount of "extra" money you bring along and what would that be for? So we are not blind sided?
- I will have a 13 and 8 year old by then. If they don't have friends with, how likely are they to have fun in the teen rooms and such? Do staff engage so they are not "alone". My teen is super shy and introverted.
- Any other tips that a newbie should know about?

Thanks so much!

when you pay for the trip, that includes all your meals correct? What about non alcoholic beverages?
It will include most non-alcoholic beverages, but not specialty coffees, sodas at the movie theater and room service, and specialty drinks of the day. You can easily get by without these, but watch for price tags.

What is the typical amount of "extra" money you bring along and what would that be for? So we are not blind sided?
Depends what you're doing. Shore excursions may be a place you want to spend money. Popcorn at movies isn't free. Specialty coffee, if you have a habit. Tipping room service is a good thing to have some singles with for, as well as luggage services. Be sure to budget for waiter and room attendant tips, although that needn't be in cash.

I will have a 13 and 8 year old by then. If they don't have friends with, how likely are they to have fun in the teen rooms and such? Do staff engage so they are not "alone". My teen is super shy and introverted.
Staff varies on how much they do to pull people in.

Biggest thing for the 13 year old is have them go to the Edge the first night for the ice breakers as that is when packs are likely to form.

Everything you purchase on the ship; specialty coffees, popcorn, alcoholic drinks, souvenirs, spa treatments, Shutters photos, etc. are all charged to your on-board account through your KTTW card. That account can be linked to a credit card or you can pay cash and replenish as needed. Cash is not required or needed on-board. However, you should bring cash for tipping and purchasing anything off the ship, during excursions, etc. Of course, the amount you bring is dependent on what you think you might be doing and is entirely subjective.

We joined a cruise group on another social network page and they set up pen pals for the kids. My son (11) had three friends he emailed back and forth with for 6 months prior to our cruise and that gave him friends on the cruise the minute we stepped on the ship. It was awesome for him and us!

Gratuities of $12/person/day are charged to your account to cover the minimum gratuities for your stateroom host, head server, server, and assistant server. You can add more as you see fit.

As others pointed out most of the food and drink is free. Watch out for coffee at dinner though - our server asked me if I’d like a cappuccino and I was like ooh that sounds good. And I didn’t realize it had a charge.

We didn’t spend too much extra on board, except for some jewelry I bought as a 49th birthday present for myself. I think we had two specialty coffees from cove cafe, two alcoholic drinks, and some souvenirs (Christmas ornament, stuffed ship toy, couple magnets).

My tip is to enjoy the adult areas. Sit in the adult pool, visit cove cafe (free desserts!), go to Serenity Bay. It’s so nice to get kid free time. Oh and order lots of things at dinner. If there are multiple entrees or desserts that look good, get both.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter