Newbie resort choice questions

maddiesmommie

Mouseketeer
Hello all, have been lurking and am now signed up to post. This is such a great place and I now can't imagine planning our trip without the info here!
We are going to wdw April 30- May 4 and eligible for overflow SoG rates ( couldn't get the contemp-it was all booked and wait list closed). We are currently booked at POR for 2 rooms, will have 4 adults and 1 toddler. Our rate is 89$ plus tax per room.
We've also gotten rates quoted for a Ft. Wilderness cabin @195 plus tax and an Old Key West 1 bdrm villa 324 plus tax.
My questions are:
1. Are Ft. Wilderness cabins really worth it? They look incredibly small (504 sq. ft?) And can you drive from Ft. Wilderness to the magic kingdom?
2. I have read about the possiblity of renting points from DVC members, can I combine points with paying cash for a ressie at Old Key West? For instance, for the Wednesday and Thursday nights reserve with points and than pay cash with SoG overflow rate on Friday and Saturday?

After we leave wdw we are spending 1 week in st. augustine for DH's work conference so having kitchen/laundry in room really appeals to me (with our 23 month old along). Sorry this so long, just lots of questions and excitement! Any advice? and thanks in advance for the help!

If you rent points from a DVC member, you can't combine points and cash. You could get a reservation made for you by a member for your desired number of nights and then add on a few extra through CRO - make sure that if you do this, that they link the DVC reservation with the cash reservation. They are two different entities.

The cabins sleep six. They aren't nearly as big as the OKW one bedroom, but bigger than a lot of the regular rooms at WDW. They also have a kitchen, but no free washer and dryer. Is the w/d worth the extra $130/night?

A friend of mine was recently at the cabins with her family, 4 adults 2 kids. I got the distinct impression they would not do this again. She said it was a long way from the buses and parking lot especially if you didn't have a golf cart. She usually stays at moderates so is used to some walking, but found this a bit much. I also had another friend that stayed and was unhappy for a number of reasons. In both cases I also got the impression the cabins were just too small for the number of people.

We have stayed in the cabins at FW numerous times & have loved them. Keep in mind that 2 adults would be sleeping on a murphy bed or in a set bunks, however.

We love the fact that it has a full kitchen, an outdoor deck & outdoor grill. There really isn't a lot of walking if you use the internal transportation. You can drive your car right to your cabin (only 1 car per site) but you can not drive it to Pioneer Hall. Honestly, many times we will walk to Pioneer Hall instead of taking the bus & use the time to enjoy the landscape of FW & get a little exercise.

I have done laundry on our "pool days" because the laundromats are right at the pools. It is very convenient if you need to use it.

Looks like w/ 2 rooms or 1 cabin you will be paying about the same so now you need to decide if it's worth having the kitchen, outdoor deck & grill, or if you prefer to have 2 baths & everyone have their own regular bed instead of murphy bed.

Either way, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun. :p

Thanks for the help. I think I have decided to stick with our POR ressies. Our trip will be ten days total with our WDW and St. Augustine plans combined so the extra space will help because my husband is not a light packer! I think I will bring a toaster, collapsible cooler and get a few groceries to keep in our room. My inlaws will have their own room and more comfortable beds, too! Does anyone know if POR has laundry facilities on the premises? Also, I think we would like to drive over to Fort wilderness to watch the MK fireworks. Can you drive your car directly to the beach if you are not staying at Fort wildereness? thanks again.

Originally posted by maddiesmommie
I think I will bring a toaster, collapsible cooler and get a few groceries to keep in our room.

Can you drive your car directly to the beach if you are not staying at Fort wildereness?

You may want to think about bringing a toaster oven instead of a toaster. This way you could also make toasted cheese sandwiches & individual frozen pizzas for lunch or a lite snack.

You can not drive your car to the beach in FW. You would need to park in their main parking lot & then get one of their internal buses to get to the beach.

FW has a nice buffet dinner. They also have a great buffet breakfast - honestly I think it is the best value in all of WDW. So many choices and reasonably priced. We make it a point to go there at least once on every trip for the breakfast. :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter