Newbie to Booking ADRs, Need Some Advice

Little E

DIS Veteran
Hi All!

I am a new DVC member, and we are taking our welcome home trip at the end of March 2023. I am traveling with my DH, DS (21), DS (18), and DS's friend (17...he'll turn 18 during our trip) and we are staying at VGF and we will have park hoppers. I have ALWAYS used a TA to manage all aspects of our Disney trips in the past, and so this will be my first time booking all of our dining reservations on my own. Needless to say, I'm a little nervous. To make things a little more "spicy", I will be at WDW when my ADR booking window opens in January. (Long story...had a gal pal trip booked for when Hurricane Ian hit and so that trip got rescheduled to January.)

Here is my tentative plan for ADRs:

Thursday, March 23-MK park reservation
*transferring from AKL to GF in am
-Kona Cafe, late breakfast

Friday, March 24-HS park reservation
-Sci Fi early dinner

Saturday, March 25-EP park reservation
-Via Napoli dinner

Sunday, March 26-AK park reservation
-Grand Floridian Cafe dinner

Monday, March 27-MK park reservation, D’s birthday
-Steakhouse 71 dinner, order birthday cake

Tuesday, March 28-HS park reservation
-50’s Prime Time early dinner

Wednesday, March 29-EP park reservation
*After Hours tickets at HS
-Beaches and Cream lunch

Thursday, March 30-AK park reservation
-Garden Grill dinner

Friday, March 31-MK park reservation
*Fly home
-Tony’s Town Square, lunch

So, I need any advice anyone is willing to throw my way. My college roomie and I will be staying at Pop Century when my ADR window opens. I plan to get up and get my refillable mug FILLED and be ready to start making reservations at 6 am. Questions I have:

1. Will Pop Century's food court be open before 6 am to get coffee? If not, I'll make some in my room.
2. Of these reservations listed above, which will most likely be the most difficult to get?
3. Of these ADRs, which ones will be easier/easiest to get?
4. We will be celebrating DS's friend's 18th birthday, so a Steakhouse 71 dinner is a big deal. Can I order a cake as part of the reservation online, or do I need to call somewhere to add a birthday cake as part of the reservation?
5. With traditionally more difficult to get ADRs, what's the best way to attempt to snag them? Start at the end of my trip days and work backwards? Something else I'm not thinking of?
6. What else am I not considering/thinking of?

In advance, thank you so much Disfriends! I always value your wisdom, advice, and guidance!

I'll put my answers in bold.

1. Will Pop Century's food court be open before 6 am to get coffee? If not, I'll make some in my room. I do not know the answer to this question
2. Of these reservations listed above, which will most likely be the most difficult to get? Honestly, I think Sci Fi that early on can be challenging
3. Of these ADRs, which ones will be easier/easiest to get? Based on what you have listed and when, I don't see anything super challenging, if you're flexible on time.
4. We will be celebrating DS's friend's 18th birthday, so a Steakhouse 71 dinner is a big deal. Can I order a cake as part of the reservation online, or do I need to call somewhere to add a birthday cake as part of the reservation? I have a celebration added to my reservation, every ADR I made asked if I wanted to order a cake.
5. With traditionally more difficult to get ADRs, what's the best way to attempt to snag them? Start at the end of my trip days and work backwards? Something else I'm not thinking of? I would go for Sci-Fi first. Then go in order of importance or work backwards.
6. What else am I not considering/thinking of? I think you got all the bases.

Sunday, March 26-AK park reservation
-Grand Floridian Cafe dinner
You can eat here but I would suggest:
Close by Grand Floridian - Capt Cooks
AK - Satu'li or Flame Tree
AK Area - either sit downs at Animal Kingdom Lodge

Friday, March 31-MK park reservation
*Fly home
-Tony’s Town Square, lunch

I would not do Tony's possibly this is the time to do Capt Cooks as its a good lunch spot, get the nacho dish (delish). Otherwise hit up Caseys Corner for a great hot dog. Finally if you really want a sit down I would look at Skipper Canteens instead.

One place you dont have listed is Deluxe Burger at Disney Springs which is a great place to get a burger.

Hi @sethschroeder, thanks so much for the feedback! The Beaches and Cream lunch thought process was hit Epcot for a short time, leave the park via the IG and walk to B & C for lunch, and then head back to our hotel to rest and hit the pool for a bit so that we are ready for DAH at HS.

Regarding the other ideas, thanks so much! We haven't eaten at Cap. Cook's since we stayed at the Poly back in 2013...it's a great QS. Thanks for putting it back on my radar! We kind of like at least one TS meal per day, but our DS18 is not an adventurous eater...he eats nuggets, steak, or pasta at every restaurant we visit, so we need to make sure there is a variation of one of these items on the menu wherever we go. The rest of us will eat just about anything. So, you can see the draw for Tony's, and you can see why we skip Skippers Canteen. :P Same goes for the TS places at AK...their menus are too crazy for our picky guy. However, if I can't get Tony's on our last day, we'll definitely hit Capt Cook's!

We also are not big Disney Springs folks...I'm traveling with a bunch of men/boys who are all about riding the rides or hitting the pools or water parks. None of them is interested in the shopping at DS. Definitely there are lots of restaurants that would appeal to them at DS, but the thought of taking the time away from the parks or pools is a no go for them.

I was really interested in the strategy for snagging the restaurant reservations my guys have asked for. I'm feeling nervous about this, because I've never done it. I've had a fabulous TA who has done all the hard work for me on our previous trips. The thought of tackling it myself, paired with being on property when the window opens at 6 am has me worried.

We also are not big Disney Springs folks...I'm traveling with a bunch of men/boys who are all about riding the rides or hitting the pools or water parks. None of them is interested in the shopping at DS. Definitely there are lots of restaurants that would appeal to them at DS, but the thought of taking the time away from the parks or pools is a no go for them.
Its not about shopping its about Deluxe Burger honestly. Its very close to where the bus drops you off. We go sometimes and do no shopping other than maybe seeing the Disney store.

you can see why we skip Skippers Canteen.
Instead of Skippers than possibly take a trip to Geyser Point at Wilderness Lodge.

AK...their menus are too crazy for our picky guy.
Flame Tree is very basic BBQ
https://allears.net/dining/menu/flame-tree-bbq/lunch-dinner/

Want to add any place that is sit down can make a normal steak or chicken tenders.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter