Newport Bay Club Refurbishments

Joanne UK

<font color=red>My favourite is Big Thunder Mounta
Was just looking to see if I could find any info on whether Molly Brown is up and running again when I came across news about NBC refurbishments currently going on. The 2 restaurants are closed until the end of the August. I think both bars are currently closed but due to reopen some time this month.

Looked at the holiday list and looks like this only affects one other holidaymaker - apart from me. But maybe some of you were thinking of having a meal in NBC restaurant so I thought I'd post this information.

Breakfast and evening meals will be served in the Conference Room. We've got Fantasyland and Character breakfasts all pre booked so that won't affect us and we eat our evening meal in the parks as well.

Is it good planning to have this work going on at the biggest hotel during the busiest time of year.

I wouldn't be too happy if it were me staying there!! It does seem like poor planning. You would have thought that they would have been better carrying out refurbishments like this in low season.

Wow, this would not please me if I was staying there. Still, good to hear they are carrying out this work to keep things looking good.

Thank you for letting us know!

I AM staying there, 14th to 18th of July, and no... it doesn't please me one bit. We booked on the Admiral's Floor, so at least we are having room service (for a price), but thinking to pay €900 to go in an half-dismounted hotel is not really nice :confused3

I gave a thought to moving the booking to the NYH (only a few €s more to pay) but it was booked up...

The only good thing is that the 2 bar closures are not overlapping, and while we are there the Captain's quarter will be working... but it's not much!

ElenaP

The timing of this has really annoyed me. I know whenever this is done it will be an inconvenience to people but this is peak season and the price is higher at this time of year. I think it's a cheek to charge extra and then cause this disruption. They must plan in advance when they are doing refurbishments and it would have been nice to have told when booking that this was going on, at least then we could have chose another hotel to stay in.

My sister had booked to go second week of June staying at SL. She had booked a room with a view over the lake but about 2 weeks before she went she received a call from customer services at DLP to say that there was some refurbishments taking place on the outside facade of the building which would affect her view. She was offered a substantial discount or an upgrade to NPBC with a lakeside room. She chose the latter. Now I think the upset in your case is far worse than a partial view obstruction so if I were you I would be on the phone to them telling them that you are not happy and that you are not willing to accept this disruption to a holiday that you paid a great deal of money for :sad2:

Just phoned DLRP and they said that there will be no scaffolding etc up when I go on the 18th. Only disruption will be to the restaurant. Not offering any upgrades or discounts but if when I get there it's worse than I'm now expecting it to be I'll have a moan at the desk when we check in.

Joanne I think its crazy that they won't compensate you for this. IMHO not being able to use either restaurant or bar and having to be served in the conference room is much worse than having scaffolding up. A big part of the ambience of the hotel is the restaurant and bar. What happens if you want to go down and enjoy a few drinks. Are they using the conference room as a temporary makeshift bar as well? A little bit of building work outside or inside isn't that big a deal but closing both restaurants and bar all at once seems crazy, or am I missing something?

One of the bars will be open but neither of the restaurants will be.

Hopefully the character meet n greet will be on in the morning as that always sets the day off nicely for us.

The young lady on the phone insistend on the fact that there was no disruption of service, as a bar was open, and both breakfast and dinner will be in the congress center (uggggly!!!)
Joanne gave me a nice piece of news, though: I didn't know there was a meet&greet with characters at the NBC! Details, please?? :earsboy:

ElenaP

Elena,

All the Disney hotels have a character in the foyer in the morning where you can have a photo taken or just meet them. When we stayed at NBC in November we saw Captain Hook and Mr Smee, Goofy and Mickey - they were both dressed up as sailors. I think they're there around 8 - 8.30ish and they are there for a while.

When we stayed at the Santa Fe last summer we were having a drink in the bar and Pluto came in. Is this commonplace as well to see characters in the hotel in the evening?

If you don't like the thought of having breakfast in the conference room you could see if there are still places available for a "Good morning Fantasyland breakfast" during your stay, I know its close to when you are going but there may be some places still available.

Joanne

Hi Joanne,

We were at the Sequoia twice, and at the Cheyenne once, and I never saw characters in the hotel... my luck I suppose! About the Good Morning Fantasyland, we did it last time (Dec 03) and we really liked it, but it means getting out of the hotel quite early... we have our 11-month old baby with us this time, and it would be too hard to stick to such a schedule!

Thanks for all your suggestions!
Elena

Elena

I think we must share your "luck "
We stayed at the NBC for 4 nights 5 days and we never saw a character in the hotel either

I have a fantastic photo of my DS's with Mickey taken in the foyer of NBC my DD wouldn't go anywhere near. Quite a number of other characters came and went during our stay.

When we stayed at Santa Fe we bumped into Pluto whilst going to the loo and Mickey was hovering in the foyer looking a little bored as no-one seemed to know he was there, either that or they didn't want pictures. It was great we had him all to ourselves. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter