News and Developments for Future In-Person runDisney Events

Translation: The only way to avoid the chaos and uncertainty of general registration from this point forward will be to buy into our massively overpriced “club”.
or use that money and pay it to a charity instead and get the bib that way... that's what im trying now because i fear regular registration. i may overpay as a result but i will feel fairly good about it

My family has been doing races during Marathon Weekend since 2012. I love running in them and will be trying to sign up for Dopey along with my sister (who is a perfect Dopey), my mom will be trying to sign up a 5k and 10k for herself and my dad, and my sister will be trying to add races for my niece and nephew. All during regular registration.

I really hope we get the races we want, but I’m prepared to just go on vacation next January if I don’t and cheer on whoever from our group does. My sister’s registration is the one that we want to make sure we get (My decision for Dopey was pushed over the edge because it might give us leverage to get her a bib by transferring mine if she gets locked out). If she ends up missing out because of Club runDisney shenanigans I think we will just be done with rD for a while.

What is the experience with the website like when you go to register? Is there a queue system where you enter a lottery? Or does the page just appear and it's a race of who can register the fastest?

What is the experience with the website like when you go to register? Is there a queue system where you enter a lottery? Or does the page just appear and it's a race of who can register the fastest?
essentially both... queue to start and once you get in you have to be quick to fill it all out and pay because you dont get to hold something in your cart, its basically a free for all. but the queue is not reliable and you could be stuck waiting in it while race sells out

On the question of international entrants- I'm from Ireland and I had given up on an autumn (fall) trip til now.
I will be trying hard to get a bib and will go if the borders reopen.

As someone who cant physically make it to WDW for the weekends, I'll be trying to sign up for the virtuals. What is the view on how quick these may sell out - particularly virtual dopey

What do "we" think - since there is the virtual option for each race, will the medals be the same as in person?

Pleasantly surprised about the race prices. I was looking at another race series (Spartan) and their prices have been jacked up a lot in the wake of COVID, to the point where i’m no longer interested in doing one of those again. RD probably could have gotten away with a bigger increase but they didn’t do it.

What do "we" think - since there is the virtual option for each race, will the medals be the same as in person?
I saw it stated on the runDisney site somewhere that the virtual and live medals were the same.
I would guess that the medals will be the same, but the ribbons will say “Virtual”.

Possible that the ribbons might be different. I'd lean towards it's more likely to be the same.

Here was the statement:

Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 7.59.26 AM.png

"and will receive the same finisher medals".

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/rundisney-announces-return-of-in-person-races-at-disney-world/

Did I miss something in the re-start.....Disney has never done bib transfers.

I know they haven’t and that they certainly would never advertise if they did make a narrow exception here or there. This certainly isn’t the plan, more of a last second Hail Mary if things go terribly wrong. I would expect we’d still get the hard line from them but it could put us at slightly better bargaining position.

The lack of transfers is to prevent re-selling chaos. I think there is at least a possibility that they might do something in specialized situations. :confused3

Pleasantly surprised about the race prices. I was looking at another race series (Spartan) and their prices have been jacked up a lot in the wake of COVID, to the point where i’m no longer interested in doing one of those again. RD probably could have gotten away with a bigger increase but they didn’t do it.
Don’t give Disney any ideas (re upping the price)

🤫

I totally agree.

So. Traditionally if Dopey doesn’t sell out, disney breaks up the bib and adds availability to the individual races. This is usually fairly close to race time.

If virtual doesn’t sell out. Do we think they may take those medals/swag and add bibs to the in person? They’d certainly know more about safety precautions by then….

So. Traditionally if Dopey doesn’t sell out, disney breaks up the bib and adds availability to the individual races. This is usually fairly close to race time.

If virtual doesn’t sell out. Do we think they may take those medals/swag and add bibs to the in person? They’d certainly know more about safety precautions by then….

I think we’re all speculating about the race size and how many spots they are selling. If they are selling a full field race, and it sells out, there’s really no way to add places later. If they aren’t selling a full field race to begin with I think it is definitely possible that they will add places later if circumstances that dictated the smaller field change. I don’t think those places would come because they are worried about an over-abundance of virtual medals they haven’t sold.

Now that every race will have a virtual option, I wonder if they'll consider putting more merch in presale and offering a shipping option. More work for them, but definitely a chance to make more money! I'm typically not a fan of the presale due to not knowing what some of the items look like/how the sizing runs, having to pay the processing fee, and not being able to use an AP/DVC discount, but it is good if you want to guarantee you'll get a specific item. I'm planning to do it for the marathon merch because I probably won't be able to go to the expo until Friday or Saturday.

Now that I think of it, I hope there's still an AP/DVC discount at the expo! :scared:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter