News Round Up 2020

I think it will affect those "on the fence" movies.
Like, I won't go out an see any of the Disney Live Action re-makes movies in theatres or buy them, knowing I can just watch them 7 months later? (whatever the lag time is, we don't really have a set limit? ) later on D+. I wonder if it will hurt those sales (even though they have been pretty successful thus far) .. and just put them straight to D+ like Lady and the Tramp.

For the big (good) movies, sales will be fine. My family saw Frozen 2 in the theater and we bought the DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital combo pack when it came out so we can watch it again now .. and on future car trips (like next Disney trip).

But .. I know that DISNEY+ has made me stop buying the older classic movies that we don't have yet. Those "middle of the road" movies (from the several Disney dark times (Black Cauldron, Oliver and Company, Dinosaur, Treasure Planet, etc.) .. that the collector in me would have probably bought just "have" and to show the kids, now .. I have no reason to.

Heck Disney+ has been great for to see those Disney the 1940s anthology movies that were often hard to find on DVD. (Watched Fun and Fancy Free over the weekend)

As technology grows .. and streaming in a car is easier (and cheaper) .. Disney DVD sales will probably dry up. For us .. the car is the main reason we have a ton of them (and KEEP them) for now.
With the ability to download these movies to devices in offline mode, it will make DVD’s pointless too.

Plus with the sneak preview last week .. that probably takes away from the opening weekend numbers? How many people saw it last Saturday?

I think this movie is just a hard sell in the trailer, (is it a comedy? what's with all the blue haired people? etc.). To me, it definitely is "Pixar worthy" and up there with their other original movies. They just all won't be blockbusters like Toy Story or Incredibles. I just don't think it has that wide appeal.

Also, I just think that people aren't going to the movies as much .. and further incentivized to NOT do that when:
1) there is a virus that is encouraging people to stay home
2) You can just rent/buy the movie digitally (probably in May).
3) There is a Disney streaming service that will have the movie "for free" if you were on the fence.

Not saying that Onward should have been a Disney+ exclusive, but my guess is that Disney will start cutting back on theatrical releases and have more original content exclusive to the streaming service .. stuff that is good and well done, but just may not be a "general audience" draw.
100% I’m on the fence about this one and waiting to watch for free on Disney+. To me it looks more Dreamworks. Which is not a compliment.

Yes. :(

My dad took me to see Flash Gordon in 1980 at the Montclare Theatre in Chicago (long gone).

I have loved it ever since! I can recite the movie. Did you see the movie Ted (the one with the teddybear?) Fantastic Flash Gordon tribute! :)

"And Sam, his hair is parted in the middle". Definitely a Ted classic line.

I remember Max von Sydow from The Exorcist.

100% I’m on the fence about this one and waiting to watch for free on Disney+. To me it looks more Dreamworks. Which is not a compliment.
I would definitely not categorize it in the Dreamworks category. But is probably more meaninful if you have played or familiar with games like Dungeons and Dragons. But it definitely has that heartfelt Pixar storyline.

But that is the option these streaming services give you, but unlike the MUSIC streaming services (that have decimated the music buying industry because you can just stream new music from Day 1), I think the 7+ month lag time before something makes it to D+ will still keep the theater and DVD buying market alive for a while .. but eventually the industry will change since our viewing habits are changing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter