News Round Up 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not judging or discounting, but I was curious what you felt wasn’t safe at WDW. I have concerns about some things we experienced and some things I think are about to happen.
Okay, I'm curious what your issue is at WDW. I went there the first 9 days it opened and thought they did a phenomenal job with everything. Now, we are 8 months later but what's wrong?
I think Disney was much safer than the surrounding area, but they are definitely choosing to overlook issue.

1. Queues
2. Stores
3. Ride capacity and loading
4. Overall capacity and how that affects crowds where people actually want to be

The above. People are placed side by side in queues with plexiglass inbetween. Switchbacks are not marked off clearly and people stop there, within a few feet of others side to side. Many rides have people within six feet of each other, sometimes with plexiglass (like Frozen), some without (omnimovers and roller coasters). The 35% capacity is too high. Even on days that had availability, it was literally impossible to distance walking around in many areas, not just choke points. The higher capacity has also resulted in long standby queues that are snaking all over the park, which adds to the distancing problem. The ferryboat sometimes loads people too close together and does nothing to ensure people distance walking off other than asking you too. Shows are a free for fall when it is over; very few mind their distance. Universal (though overall just as bad as Disney) dismisses shows row by row to prevent this. I didn’t find the stores to be too bad, for the most part. But the last time I went was about six weeks ago. When they first reopened, I was very pleased. Queues were an issue but there wasn’t much plexiglass installed so it was better than it is now; no rides were loading people within six feet; and it was easy to distance walking around. When capacity increased, that all changed.

Disney World should be operating similar to this. This is how you open and keep people as safe as possible. I’d still be a happy passholder instead of extremely upset former passholder if Disney World was taking safety as seriously as Disneyland is being forced to.
I think the big challenge for WDW if same rules were instated would be the 'only outdoor queues'. I guess in many cases they could queue guests up outdoors then only have them start walking through the indoor portion once they were ready to ride but being outside in the FL sun for the majority of the day would be challenging at the best of times, let alone adding on the mandatory masks (which I fully support). It could be done but in the process create a lot of other challenges with the heat and humidity plus needing to find room to queue up guests outdoors.

One of the biggest differences between CA and FL is the weather which plays into the decision above.

Disney World should be operating similar to this. This is how you open and keep people as safe as possible. I’d still be a happy passholder instead of extremely upset former passholder if Disney World was taking safety as seriously as Disneyland is being forced to.
Why would WDW go backwards? What they are doing in California is absurd.

The above. People are placed side by side in queues with plexiglass inbetween. Switchbacks are not marked off clearly and people stop there, within a few feet of others side to side. Many rides have people within six feet of each other, sometimes with plexiglass (like Frozen), some without (omnimovers and roller coasters). The 35% capacity is too high. Even on days that had availability, it was literally impossible to distance walking around in many areas, not just choke points. The higher capacity has also resulted in long standby queues that are snaking all over the park, which adds to the distancing problem. The ferryboat sometimes loads people too close together and does nothing to ensure people distance walking off other than asking you too. Shows are a free for fall when it is over; very few mind their distance. Universal (though overall just as bad as Disney) dismisses shows row by row to prevent this. I didn’t find the stores to be too bad, for the most part. But the last time I went was about six weeks ago. When they first reopened, I was very pleased. Queues were an issue but there wasn’t much plexiglass installed so it was better than it is now; no rides were loading people within six feet; and it was easy to distance walking around. When capacity increased, that all changed.

You do realize that masks are worn for those times you can't socially distance from someone? I can understand your concern and I'm not trying to argue but it's the reason masks are worn everywhere on property. It's why they'll be around longer.

DLR has to do what the state says, that's not their rules but what CA is telling all theme parks to do. Given some of the things I've read from friends and how long it's taken CA to even get to this point it doesn't surprise me it's more strict.

I would agree with a lot of what you are saying. We went in July and at Thanksgiving. We went assuming we would get covid. I think they are doing pretty good, but it's hard. Can't wait to get fully vaccinated.

Having been away from Disney for more than 18 months now (which seem like for-ev-er!!!), the one thing that is really standing out to me when I watch the video clips from different places is the music Disney plays in the background. So happy and so well done!

Miss that along with so many other things!!!

Aww it must be so tough. I hope you guys can get back down here soon!!!!! It will be all that more special when you get back!! 🥰

Aww it must be so tough. I hope you guys can get back down here soon!!!!! It will be all that more special when you get back!! 🥰
Thanks so much!! We're booked for August but a lot would need to change between now and then re: boarder opening, mandatory quarantine changes, vaccinations for me and more. Still holding out hope that it can happen but if not, we'll just push it back until things are in a better place for us to travel.

You're so right @mrsap, it sure will be extra special when we get there!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter