nextel

jlp651

<font color=CC66CC>Don't you know its annual "Your
Unfortunately, getting the boyfriend to leave his cell phone home is like pulling blood from a stone...he just wont do it...anyway...does nextel direct connect work on the ship?

Not sure what Nextel Direct is but we had a Nextel and it worked on the boat until we sailed out. It was great being able to call my mom from the verandah. I think she was more excited than I was.

My friend is onboard the Magic this week and she called me yesterday from the Sailaway Party and just called me about an hour ago from Key West!!!!

I missed the last call but she left me a voice message. Do not know what kind of phone she has but I have a Verizon A310.

MJ

When I went a year ago, I was able to use my nextel phone for a while after we left port... but then that was it.

I'm not completely positive about this answer, but I don't believe the direct connect feature will work when out to sea (direct connect is the walkie-talkie feature). I think you still have to be within Nextel's "area", even though you're using it as a walkie-talkie. I had heard that they were hoping for a national direct connect area sometime this year, but it still probably wouldn't work when out to sea. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Michelle:bounce:

Your wireless phone regardless of the carrier(i.e. Nextel, Cingular, AT&T...ect...) will only work when it can receive a signal from the closest tower. Some carrier's signals can travel up to 10 miles but it all depends on variable factors, i.e. terrain, the height of the tower...ect.....long story short you will be lucky if your phone works once you are 5-10 miles offshore. :cool:

Sure would be nice to have a satellite phone. We're buying walking talkies for the ship and WDW even though we have NEXTEL direct connect. Also, with the national direct connect, it looks like you'll have to pay if you are outside of your DC area.

Wonder here we come . . .6/15/03

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter