Nice budget gift for young person going through chemo?

Just wanted to pop in and say thank you for posting this thread! My father is starting his first of 6 rounds of chemo today and I think I'll get a care package together to mail out.

Sending positive thoughts for your friends! :goodvibes

Lots of good ideas posted. I went through chemo and appreciated meals and gift cards to local restsurants the most. Very difficult to think about cooking when you’re not feeling well. I also loved the little things... like soft, fuzzy socks and magazines. I watched lots of movies, so a subscription to Netflix could be great if they don’t already have one. I also would have loved an adult coloring book with pencils.

Also, if you live close by, it means so much to help with errands, driving kids to activities (if they have kids), picking up groceries, or dropping off a treat. I wasn’t always up for a visit, but was always grateful when someone left something on my porch or mailed something.

Above all, when you offer to help and they say no, just do if it feels right. It is very hard to ask for or accept help when you’re sick - even when you need it. But sometimes it means the world to receive it.

I wish both of your dear friends a full and speedy recovery.

My DD was in the hospital this summer for about 2 months (thankfully not for cancer). She got a ton of pencils and coloring books, journals, blankets, socks and candy. Although we appreciated every gift so much I think the best ones were a gift card to the cafeteria (she loved getting a treat there or something different to eat), a Vermont teddy bear (it is SO soft, she still sleeps with it every night) and an edible fruit arrangement. She shared a lot of that with visitors and the nurses and she loved it, such a great change from hospital food! She also loved getting cards, esp ones that had funny stories in them or really heartfelt messages. Good luck to both of your friends. Sometimes just a call or a text to let them know u are thinking about them is just as good as sending a gift.

Get some friends together. And ask them to donate and buy a nice gift. So sorry that they are going though this. Make some brownies. Maybe a food voucher for a pizza place or groceries. Or get some friends to pay off some rent etc

am I thinking too much

When my son was in chemo he was 17 he really liked google play cards or amazon., beanies (girls like scarfs) ,chap stick of different flavors, hard candy and gum
His mouth hurt he could not eat, most of the time he did not want to play xbox or even look at the tv. But he would listen to music or movies

I went through four or five months of chemo, too, and lost all of my hair. It was hard to look and feel that way, even as an adult Mom. It's even harder for youngsters. People with young children have it tough, too, so I agree that any help you can offer for children is great. And small meals that are freezable are great, too (unless, perhaps, someone is a picky food person).

Another woman I knew who'd gone through it before me bought me some nice, warm hats, and I bought myself some soft cotton head lovies because your head actually hurts when you lose your hair and wearing a wig makes it sore, too, so it's nice to come home to something soft. In the winter, your head gets cold, too. (Hospital gift stores usually sell them, especially hospitals that provide cancer care. Found a link, here they call them Sleep Caps, but they're along the same lines of what I'm talking about. https://www.headcovers.com/headwear/sleep-caps/ ) My favorite was a white lovie with a navy blue bandana on top that I wore around the house when I was home during the day. I got mine at the gift shop at Dana Farber.

But another thing I'm thinking of for these two, if you're up for it, is something my daughter makes for around $30. It's those no-sew blankets that are super easy to make, but so heartfelt a gift, and really, really great when you're feeling like crap a day or two after chemo, and you just need to rest. Having one of these makes you feel like your wrapped up in love.

We like to make them big, so feet aren't sticking out, so measure accordingly. Bigger is better. And when you go into a fabric store like Joann's, there are so many cute themes and patterns to choose from. Pick something you think that person will like.

Here's a good tutorial if you're unfamiliar with how to make them. i am not very crafty, but even I can do one of these. DD's done a lot now and can knock a big one off in a couple of hours. The one she made me is one of my favorite things ever, and I use it daily.

You are a kind-hearted person for even thinking of doing this. Thank you. :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter