Nixing plans for Yellowstone... Any ideas for something closer to San Antonio??

paysensmom

DIS Veteran
WE were planning a trip to Yellowstone and we would like to plan for something closer to home because of gas prices! We will probably go to Yellowstone next summer. Do you have any ideas that would be really great closer to San ANtonio?
Thanks so much!!

It would be about 1500 miles to Yellowstone for you. If gas is $2.70/gal at the time you travel, that's $506 for gas, round trip if you're getting 16mpg. If you get more mpg, let's say 25mpg, total cost round trip is $324.

Now let's say you cut your trip in half if you find someplace closer, how about Ozark Mountains and Table Rock Lake in SW Missouri. That's 700 miles away. Now your gas costs for those same mpg's are $236 and $151 respectively.

I say go for Yellowstone! It's only a savings of between $170 and $270.

I gotta agree with that last post. Gas is never going to get cheaper. If that's where you want to go then go for it.

Let's see now somewhere closer? Ozarks, Colorado, would the Grand Canyon be closer?

Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado (Stay right outside in Estes Park) would be a great national park experieince for you that would be easier to get too (a great alternative to Yellowstone). It happens to be my very favorite national park -- tons to do to keep you occupied for a week. Beautiful, lots of wildlife (not the variety of wildlife that is at Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, but very good), beautiful family friendly hikes, great family ranger programs that are free and easy to get too -- less driving to get to where you want to be here, and a friendly town that is very close to the National Park, Estes Park with shops, resturants, kid activities. I do love Yellowstone, but actually prefer this park to Yellowstone as I spend less time driving and more time outside of my car in this awesome pristine natural place.

FYI: It is 998 miles from San Antonio to Estes Park, CO / Rocky Mountain National Park

It is 1522 miels from San Antonio to West Yellowstone, MO / Yellowstone National Park.

WE were planning a trip to Yellowstone and we would like to plan for something closer to home because of gas prices! We will probably go to Yellowstone next summer. Do you have any ideas that would be really great closer to San ANtonio?
Thanks so much!!

A lot of people love Corpus Christi (aquarium, battleship, etc.) or if you like the beach, there's South Padre Island down here. What's tough is that we usually go up to San Antonio for our entertainment. And summer's so hot anywhere in Texas. What about heading up to Fort Worth?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter