NO MORE Dining Plan for us..my reasons

I've seen no standardization of menu at the many restaurants we frequent at WDW. Kona>CG>Chefs>Mama's>now Tutto>GF Cafe>Brown Derby>Narcoossee's>Jiko>Citricos....all quite different.

Okay...so everyone doesn't agree with me (what's wrong with you people? :teeth: ). I guess my family just needs to try some different restaurants then but it seemed like everywhere we went had basically the same entree choices: a steak of some kind, salmon, chicken, or penne pasta. Dessert was chocolate cake, key lime pie, or creme brulee.

As far as service, we had several CM's that never refilled our drinks, made mistakes with the order, etc. For the most part I think a lot of them were just overworked...but it was still a bit aggravating to have to try and flag them down just to get the basics.

We have done the DDP the last 3 trips (prior to the 2008 changes) and felt it provided ample choices and good value.

With the new changes we decided to give it one more try during our upcoming June trip. We did upgrade to the Deluxe plan this time and plan to take full advantage of the 3 table service meals/day it offers. We already have a Character Meal or Grand Gathering event, plus 1 other table service meal (my DS and her family are joining us) planned each day (all but 1 of which is covered under the DDP).

I'm withholding judgement on the changes until we get back. I like the idea of being able to plan for a fixed food cost during our stay and given the extra meals & snacks the Deluxe plan offers I can't foresee any reason to have to pay out of pocket for anything food related.

Yes, it does require some planning and like any system you have to work a little to get the most value out of it. We plan to use up all of our table service credits each day and have never left Disney with any spare credits in the past.

The main downside I have found with the DDP is it does force you to have to think about your vacation dining more than you normally would and plan for it. This is especially true if, like us, you try to get the most out of it each day and make reservations for the more expensive dining options. You do feel a little like you are just filling the time between meals with rides.

We have enjoyed the DDP in the past and will only know if this will be our last time after our next trip. It isn't a good option for some and others like its convenience. Cost comparisons are good for a dollar-vs-dollar analysis, but some will value the convenience over the limitations.

Just my 2 cents :)

I've never used the old plan but was considering it. I will NOT be using the new plan.

-For those that normally use that much food, I think the old plan offered some decent savings in return for the lack of freedom and flexibility imposed by the "use or lose it aspect of the plan".

-With the new plan, you still give up the flexibility but you don't really gain anything in exchange for that. I see the financial "gain" from the new plan as nominal or even non existant.

I don't understand why people keep saying the are "restricted" by the Dining Plan. Whether you are on the DP or not, unless you want to eat all counter services or take your chances on getting into a restaurant you need to make your reservations very early. If people are saying that the ADR's are because of the DP, I think they started doing it before the DP was introduced (please correct me if I am wrong).

Also, these past two years were the only times we were able to use the DP, but our service was no different than not being on the dining plan. Can't complain about any servers or service, this is why we go to Disney!!!

Sorry I forgot.......

I don't know if Disney decided to try to save money by eliminating the appetizer (I think they should have given the choice, appetizer or dessert) so much as seeing the waste when people took appetizer, entree, drinks and dessert. I am sure people were ordering more then they would ever eat "because they paid for it". We learned in 06 that we would share appetizers and desserts in 07 and it worked out great for us.

It's more than just pennies and that has always been the deal killer for us.

As example, why blow the money for the breakfast portion of the DP when I can comfortably feed a party of 5 great hot seated breakfasts for eight days (as I am doing in our upcoming stay at the Boardwalk in February) for a total expense of about $65 (via Garden Grocer)? Not only is the food and service as good or better than what I can get at most WDW dining spots, it's faster and easier. We show up at park gates 20 minutes before opening well fed and happy, while the DP crowd is either starving or eating stale pastries from some counter service spot.:laughing:

Bottom line: part of what you purchased when you bought DVC was a kitchen.

USE IT.

breakfast.jpg

Bottom line: When I purchased DVC I was purchasing vacations from all I do at home, not the ability to work in a different kitchen. I have the best husband because he sooooo understands this and the most we fill our fridge with is pop and water!:thumbsup2

I don't understand why people keep saying the are "restricted" by the Dining Plan. Whether you are on the DP or not, unless you want to eat all counter services or take your chances on getting into a restaurant you need to make your reservations very early. If people are saying that the ADR's are because of the DP, I think they started doing it before the DP was introduced (please correct me if I am wrong).

Also, these past two years were the only times we were able to use the DP, but our service was no different than not being on the dining plan. Can't complain about any servers or service, this is why we go to Disney!!!

Prior to the DDP, it was MUCH easier to get ADRs. Part of the reason that Disney introduced the plan was to keep $$ within Disney, rather than off-site restaurants. Well, it worked!

We like to loosely plan our trips. We'll make ADRs, but often our plans for the day will change, and we'll want to do something different than we thought we might on a particular night. With DDP, we don't have the last-minute flexibility that we used to in getting a place to eat.

I would not be at all upset if they totally eliminated DDP. ;)

My family and I used the DDP the last time we were there and we didn't mind it at all. We all have expensive tastes and for us to spend so much less than what we usually would spend is great. The only thing that is sad is that I will now pay for the great appatizers at Le Cellier. Other than that we will still use it. For instance we went to the old Alfredo Restaraunt for my 25th and spent over 400 on the meal. Now if we had used the DDP when we went that time it would of saved us a LOT of money. I know also that since my mother-in-law likes to have a glass of wine with meals she will like the choice to get it without having to pay seperately after our meals. I don't mind the change and about the desserts... I don't get them when I am out for a normal meal at home so for me it is vacation to get one with my meal.

We used the old plan and saved about 1/2 the cost. Now it will be much less a savings. I know we wouldn't be doing the sames places, foods, etc but that is what makes the DDP so nice. You can try different things and not have to look at the cost. We too would prefer the appetizers to desert but maybe they will change it next year. I don't believe we will be doing the DDP again after our May trip because the grandkids will be 3. They don't eat enough to get them plans. It won't be worth it until they are older. We like the buffet/character meals and the DDP has worked for us. I expect to save maybe 20-25% with what we usually order so I guess it is a go for May. I do wish they hadn't change it but I am going to go and enjoy all the good food-small potions or not!!!

I'm with others....the stove is just a kitchen ornament for us. When we first joined I made eggs a couple times for the novelty but I'm past that.;)

Anyone on the DDP can eat early enough to be at the park gates 20 minutes early too, but why in the world would you want to stand around for 20 minutes anyway?

There is no breakfast component to the basic DDP. The meals are one QS and one TS per night. If someone was compelled to do so, breakfast could still be cooked in the room.

Haven't bought many pastries at WDW but can't imagine them being stale.:confused3

Okay...so everyone doesn't agree with me (what's wrong with you people? :teeth: ). I guess my family just needs to try some different restaurants then but it seemed like everywhere we went had basically the same entree choices: a steak of some kind, salmon, chicken, or penne pasta. Dessert was chocolate cake, key lime pie, or creme brulee.

As far as service, we had several CM's that never refilled our drinks, made mistakes with the order, etc. For the most part I think a lot of them were just overworked...but it was still a bit aggravating to have to try and flag them down just to get the basics.

I'll grant you that several of the mid-priced resort restaurants have those things on the menu last I knew. Concourse SH, Olivia's and YC Galley and even GF Cafe come to mind. But even so, they all seem to have a different take on the dishes. And having a steak as well as a chicken dish is probably catering to the average Joe on vacation.

Too bad about your service issues though. We really haven't experienced that whether on or off the plan.

We are going to try the new deluxe plan for a 3 night stay next month.

DH and I were at WDW in April with family WITHOUT the dining plan, and were just there for the 1st week in January with friends WITH the New dining plan. We were amazed at the difference.

In April, for the few WDW meals, the quality, variety, and service wasn't that great, and our ADRs were at odd times. In January, everything was absolutely wonderful. My friends that lived in Germany for 7 years, couldn't believe the authenticity of Biergarten. I'd been there before when it was Crystal Palace with kraut.

In April, my family couldn't wait to get off property to go to Texas Roadhouse. They missed Fantasmic to get the ---- away from that ----mousetrap. For January, we made our ADRs early on, talked about how fun they would be, had a great time, and ordered whatever we wanted.

In April, my sisters were constantly cooking bacon at rope drop. In January, we stayed in a studio, while our companions were at POR. We did 2 - 1TS breakfasts, and paid OOP for one of them. I finally saw the opening ceremony at MK.

Granted we were with a more Disney loving group in January, but if I could have a "do over" the first group would have been on the DDP.

If you are fairly new to WDW, please, please get the DDP.

The next night the CM told us they hate it since Disney is taking the money and keeping it until their next pay period before it's given to the waiter. Not Nice Disney!! Greed will hurt you in the end. :sad2:

This is customary for a restaurant to do this. They do not automatically receive cash for a CC transaction....it takes a while. Most people do not get paid on a daily basis...we have to wait for our paychecks. How is that greedy?

Bottom line: When I purchased DVC I was purchasing vacations from all I do at home, not the ability to work in a different kitchen. I have the best husband because he sooooo understands this and the most we fill our fridge with is pop and water!:thumbsup2

I hear you and no, we do not make the kitchen a workshop for my wife.

Read: breakfast run as "everyone for themselves self-serve Indy pit stop": frozen waffles done the toaster, pre-cooked bacon in the microwave, pre-made orange juice, fruit - ergo, decent fresh or "convenience" food that takes 2 minutes to prepare and 3 to clean up. It's hot, filling and satisifying - and removes the need to waste valuable vacation time standing in line at the Boardwalk bakery on our way to Epcot or MGM.

As we head to the boat, I always enjoy noticing those in the long line at the bakery waitng to use their DP credit for a muffin and how they subsequently show up at best way in the back at rope drop!

On-property in-room kitchen. To some, a paperweight. To others, a subtle and effective commando touring tool.

This is customary for a restaurant to do this. They do not automatically receive cash for a CC transaction....it takes a while. Most people do not get paid on a daily basis...we have to wait for our paychecks. How is that greedy?

We hated getting CC tips at work because we had to wait 2 - 4 days for the restaurant to process and then pay us! I try to give cash tips, not just at Disney, even when I use a CC or debit card. I know they have to wait.

We hated getting CC tips at work because we had to wait 2 - 4 days for the restaurant to process and then pay us! I try to give cash tips, not just at Disney, even when I use a CC or debit card. I know they have to wait.

So if I leave cash tips on this next trip, that will be better for the server? We have always gotten very good/great service and I want to take of our servers as they took care of us. If we leave cash then they will be able to keep it that day, correct? If we charge the tip to our room then they have to wait, correct?

Thanks!

I hear you and no, we do not make the kitchen a workshop for my wife.

Read: breakfast run as "everyone for themselves self-serve Indy pit stop": frozen waffles done the toaster, pre-cooked bacon in the microwave, pre-made orange juice, fruit - ergo, decent fresh or "convenience" food that takes 2 minutes to prepare and 3 to clean up. It's hot, filling and satisifying - and removes the need to waste valuable vacation time standing in line at the Boardwalk bakery on our way to Epcot or MGM.

As we head to the boat, I always enjoy noticing those in the long line at the bakery waitng to use their DP credit for a muffin and how they subsequently show up at best way in the back at rope drop!

On-property in-room kitchen. To some, a paperweight. To others, a subtle and effective commando touring tool.

Well, of course you don't need a kitchen to make that kind of breakfast. You could do it in a studio. And if you think that food is as good as or better than WDW breakfasts, perhaps you need to get out more.;) Just kidding though as you've obviously found what works well for your family.

BTW what makes you think those people in line at the Bakery are on the DDP? Most people don't do the DDP from what someone posted and those that do are not likely to go to the Bakery for a QS breakfast I would think. It's not good value at all compared to lunch or dinner.

Of course, we did use almost all our QS meals for breakfasts from BC Marketplace (and SSR on one trip). Both places have very good egg and croissant sandwiches.

Hey, then I must be on vacation all year...because my husband would never dream of asking me to cook for him at our own house! If I think about it, he says "why mess up the kitchen?!"

Cook on vacation???:scared1: Seriously though, we use the kitchen for cereal, maybe some bagels, and snacks. The microwave might get used for micorwave popcorn or to warm up some queso dip....but that is about it! Vacation to us has just as much to do with dining as it does with theme parks, swimming pools, and all that stuff! To each his own.....

Hey, then I must be on vacation all year...because my husband would never dream of asking me to cook for him at our own house! If I think about it, he says "why mess up the kitchen?!"

LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter