No more Studio mini-fridges?

carlbarry

DIS Veteran
I just called DVC to make a waitlist.
While I had the CM on the phone, I asked about the announcement for the Poly tower as to room types, specifically the "duo studio." I asked if there will be regular deluxe studios, too. She said she doubted it, as the already existing DVC units were deluxe studios. But she put me on hold to find out.
She came back and said there was no information. I said that if they're like the ones in the Grand Floridian, with no microwave oven and a "beverage cooler," I will be very disappointed.
She said that as the deluxe studios are refurbished, "only beverage coolers will be used, a refrigerator can't be requested, and if there is a medical need contact bell services"!
Well, due to religious dietary requirements, I bring a lot of my own food, and with a beverage cooler the food will go bad over the course of my stay with only a beverage cooler. I am very disappointed. The great thing about a timeshare room, in my opinion, was that it had the amenities of home, unlike a hotel room.

Yes, most of the refurbishments have included taking out the mini-fridge and inserting a beverage cooler. We also do not like because we make our own ice for our water bottles. However, it has been happening for the last few years.

I would ask about a real fridge due to your restrictions. I'm sure they still have them around. I will say it does keep food clothes. We will keep some leftovers in there. I wouldn't trust it for a long period of time or something like milk.

I would ask about a real fridge due to your restrictions. I'm sure they still have them around. I will say it does keep food clothes. We will keep some leftovers in there. I wouldn't trust it for a long period of time or something like mil
A few years ago after staying in a new DVC unit at WL, where there was no freezer section (and the thermostat knob was missing. I was told they did that to keep guests from lowering the temperature!), I contacted Guest Relations.
The lovely Joy Payne told me she'd arrange for me to always have a freezer section in future stays.
That worked for a couple of years. Then I stayed again at WL, this time in Boulder Ridge, and there was no freezer. I went to Guest Services, and was told they only had one mini-fridge left with a freezer section! Fortunately, they did bring it to my room.
However, when I stayed at OKW and Jambo house this past January, both Deluxe Studios had freezer sections in the mini-fridges. And I had emailed Guest Services again before that trip.
But I am really, really disappointed in DVC about this. It just gives me something to worry about for my stay, and that is definitely not the purpose of a vacation in WDW!

Maybe I'm having a super-grumpy day, but I wonder if this is all part of DVC's plan to encourage people to buy more points so that they can get a "regular" refrigerator-freezer, because they'll have to stay in a one-bedroom for that. Right now, everyone acknowledges that studios are very popular-one bedrooms, not so much. If DVC gives people a reason to need/want a one bedroom instead of a studio, more money for DVC.
But then there's that issue of DVC making more, and comfortable, sleeping space in the studios. Haven't figured out a way to "blame" DVC for that one!:rolleyes:

Maybe I'm having a super-grumpy day, but I wonder if this is all part of DVC's plan to encourage people to buy more points so that they can get a "regular" refrigerator-freezer, because they'll have to stay in a one-bedroom for that. Right now, everyone acknowledges that studios are very popular-one bedrooms, not so much. If DVC gives people a reason to need/want a one bedroom instead of a studio, more money for DVC.
But then there's that issue of DVC making more, and comfortable, sleeping space in the studios. Haven't figured out a way to "blame" DVC for that one!:rolleyes:
Excellent point. Why pay more for a 1 bedroom when a Deluxe Studio sleeps the same number of people? Aha--because the accoutrements in a 1 bedroom are better.
For years we DVCers laughed about "What is a "deluxe" studio, when ALL studios are "deluxe"?" Well, maybe the answer is that DVC wants SMALLER studios, rented out for almost the same number of points as extinct "deluxe studios," in order to move more people to rent 1 bedrooms, at almost twice the points of a no longer existing "deluxe studio."
For example, at the Riviera a 2 person tower room can be 11 points per night. A deluxe studio sleeping 5 at same time is 15 points. A 1 br at the same time is 31 points! Therefore, make new construction with 2 person rooms, and all those previously renting deluxe studios, now must spend 20 points more per night for a 1 br! And you know what DVC will say? "We found that families weren't interested in staying in studios, they wanted 1 bedroom units."

Last edited:
Excellent point. Why pay more for a 1 bedroom when a Deluxe Studio sleeps the same number of people? Aha--because the accoutrements in a 1 bedroom are better.
For years we DVCers laughed about "What is a "deluxe" studio, when ALL studios are "deluxe"?" Well, maybe the answer is that DVC wants SMALLER studios, rented out for almost the same number of points as extinct "deluxe studios," in order to move more people to rent 1 bedrooms, at almost twice the points of a no longer existing "deluxe studio."
For example, at the Riviera a 2 person tower room can be 11 points per night. A deluxe studio sleeping 5 at same time is 15 points. A 1 br at the same time is 31 points! Therefore, make new construction with 2 person rooms, and all those previously renting deluxe studios, now must spend 20 points more per night for a 1 br! And you know what DVC will say? "We found that families weren't interested in staying in studios, they wanted 1 bedroom units."
If that's true, we have only ourselves to blame. Our booking patterns clearly show a decided preference for the less expensive options. Studios book up first and that trend shows no signs of slowing, no matter the size or amenities.

Everyone has a conspiracty theory, beverage coolers are just fine for probably 95% of then food/drinks your putting in there.
I bought DVC to stay in first class, luxury accommodations.
Personally, I need to keep food frozen, as I usually stay for at least 10 days. In a 45 degree beverage cooler with a warning that you should not store food there, I will have a big problem.
And I hardly think it's a "conspiracy theory" to think that DVC wants to maximize their profits.

Can’t someone start a poll so we can start collecting real data to see what the odds are getting a beverage cooler vs actual mini refrigerator when staying in a deluxe studio. We shop for breakfast and snack foods and store 4-6 days worth of foods that need to be kept cold and this worries me too everytime I book a studio.

I have included the complaint of lack of full size mini-fridge in one of the surveys sent after a stay. We, as members, should expect to have a counter height mini-fridge with a freezer compartment in every studio as part of DVC. Nothing screams Unwelcome Home like substandard accommodations for what we're paying. There should be a line item of dues for maintaining and replacing mini-fridges in studios. I plan to include it on the feedback option, that is attached to the email you get at the beginning of your stay, every time I come across a less-than mini-fridge. This includes Big Pine Key should we every stay there. If we don't speak up, change won't happen. If we do, there is at least a chance.

Can’t someone start a poll so we can start collecting real data to see what the odds are getting a beverage cooler vs actual mini refrigerator when staying in a deluxe studio. We shop for breakfast and snack foods and store 4-6 days worth of foods that need to be kept cold and this worries me too everytime I book a studio.
Besides my need for special food, I like that I have breakfast in the room--milk, cereal, orange juice. Even if I could eat out, I wouldn't want to get dressed, go out, order, eat, go back to the room for the bathroom . . . I have breakfast in the room, and then leave for the day. Much more efficient, time wise and financially wise.

My theory is they like to entice people with occupancy 5 in a studio. It’s a gateway drug into 1 and 2BR, and in the meantime it’s up to 5 people buying meals that whole trip. Disney parks have been at this game a long time. They’ll get you one way or another 🤣 They know more about my future spending than I ever will!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter