• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No Tink For You?

raidermatt

Be water, my friend.
Disney tried to be the "Tink Nazi" by saying "NO TINK FOR YOU!", but were denied...

Article

Here's the text:

Hospital steps in to thwart Disney threat

By Meg Milne

The Walt Disney Company has backed away from a showdown with the owner of a Motherwell shop after having its wrists slapped by Great Ormond Street Hospital in London.
Irene Ryder, 50, has owned the Tinkerbell children's clothes shop for the past 15 years. The store is named after the fairy in the classic children's story Peter Pan. But in April she received a letter from Disney, which owns the Peter Pan film rights, accusing her of breaching its copyright and insisting she 'discontinue any further use of Tinkerbell' or face court action.

Ryder wrote an apologetic letter explaining that she had no idea she was breaking the law. But Disney insisted it could not give her a licence to use the name Tinkerbell and ordered her to remove the sign from above the shop and to change all headed stationery .

' I consulted my lawyer and began to make inquiries about how much it would cost to change the name of the shop ,' said Ryder. 'Just to repaint the sign would have cost more than £1000.'

However, Disney has now been told to back down by Great Ormond Street Hospital, to which Peter Pan author JM Barrie gifted the copyright of his book. For a one-off donation of £500, Ryder has been allowed to keep using the name Tinkerbell.

A spokeswoman for the children's hospital said: 'Walt Disney has the copyright to their own animated image of Tinkerbell but copyright to the actual name of Tinkerbell, and the character itself, belongs to Great Ormond Street Hospital.

Sheila Philp, property manager of the Barrie's Birthplace tourist attraction in Kirriemuir, which is run by the National Trust for Scotland, said: 'Disney do not own the copyright to the name Tinkerbell.

'In April 1929 Sir James M Barrie made over to Great Ormond Street Hospital 'the future annual income in perpetuity of the copyright, literal and dramatic, in Peter Pan'.

'In 1987, when the copyright ran out after 50 years, an act of parliament was passed to allow the hospital to continue to receive royalties.'

Jane Gross, manager of Disney's anti-piracy department, which is based in Paris, declined to comment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter